Register now to get rid of these ads!

TO NAILHEAD or NOT TO NAILHEAD

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vinmanr2d2, Aug 21, 2010.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

lots of good advice, a little bit of misinformation.

First off. They are not that expensive. If you have to rebuild her it's not that big of a deal. Just research first, nothing special, pay attention to the cam bearings and a few other things. Not all have the switch pitch converter and the guts are the same as the early TH400's.

Run a higher (lower numerically) gear than you would for a SBC and use the low end torque.

But they are great engines, and reliable to boot. A few weeks back I ran one half way across the country and back with no issues. Hammered it good. I'd personally stay away from zoomies and maybe do some real headers. It'll make it more driveable.

2. Jet Doc

Jet Doc

Nailheads are cool. Gobs of torque and nice and narrow for a tight squeeze. I myself think the only pain is the starter is on the drivers side which can lead to steering box location issues. I say go for it!

3. robertsregal

robertsregal

Go with the nailhead, a true cool engine!