Register now to get rid of these ads!

Straight 6 setups..pics and info

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by crotex, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Sixes are a lot of fun and give away nothing.
    Here is some of mine in various trim.

Attached Files:

2. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Just to correct some mis-information above; The Chivvy 216 has an oil pump.

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

That brings back old memories.:D In 1961, my very first motor overhaul, I converted the babbitt rod bearings to inserts using a kit I bought from a Montgomery Wards catalog. I wish I still had that car.

4. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

You are correct sir! I was mistaken. The Chevy 216 does have a oil pump. You had a good idea on not disclosing what I was trying to write. I will give it another go.

The following is a qoute from wikpedia...
    "(Chevy) 216
    This engine had a 216-cubic-inch (3.5 L) displacement with a 3.500” (88.90mm) bore and a 3.750” (95.25 mm) stroke. A four-bearing crankshaft was added, along with 6.5:1 compression pistons, for 85 hp (63 kW). A new cylinder head in 1941 bumped output to 90 hp (67 kW), and 6.6:1 compression gave the 1949 model 92 hp (69 kW). This generation did not use a fully pressurized oiling system. The connecting rods were oiled using an "oil trough" built into the oil pan that had spray nozzles that squirted a stream of oil that the connecting rods (which were equipped with dippers) caught on the fly and supplied the necessary oil for the rod bearings."

So yea, if you like technology as described above then you may want to hot rod that engine. How can you go wrong when you start out with 85 HP and a engine that uses a oil trough and dippers for connecting rod oiling?