Register now to get rid of these ads!

Adapt a V8 to a stock '54 235 bellhousing?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by apbmalibu, Sep 8, 2010.

1. apbmalibu

apbmalibu
    from Wisconsin

I know there are adapters out there for putting late model transmissions on the old 6 cylinders. What I'm looking for is a way to keep the original 3 on the tree and install a V8 in my '54 Chevy. Is it possible?

2. dudley32

dudley32

School me a bit...does the bell housing mount to the frame...if so I believe a 55-57
    V-8 bell housing would do the trick...d32

more knowledge on board here I'm sure...I've only messed with 55 up chevys..:D

3. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I bolted a stock 51 Chev 4-speed to a V8 bellhousing. If the 54 transmission uses the same bolt pattern as the 55 and later transmission it will work, for a while, as long as you don't abuse it. Even the 55 and later transmission were known to fail, if you got on it a little or shifted it hard; which is a subject that I know fairly well. Save some time and install a later 4 or 5 speed and better rear end.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Easiest thing to do is find a '49-'54 Chevy truck 3 speed. Same gearbox as car, but with what came to be known as the common "Chevy pattern" on the front. It will bolt to both the V8 bell housing and the passenger car torque tube driveshaft.

5. jrlemke

jrlemke

I think I remember hearing that the gears from a 55-64 trans could be installed in the earlier case. I never tried it, but it's a possibility. That trans won't take a lot of abuse. I had a 409 in a 55 chev and I learned to change the trans in the dark on country roads. I always had a spare in the trunk!

6. Not sure why you would do that unless you like pulling the rearend so you can change the trans about once a week. For the ease of going open drive in one of these cars it's just not worth the trouble you're going to have, short of running a 265 with 7.6:1 compression and two dead cylinders. Second gen Camaro rearend is a near bolt-in, use the trans that comes with the V8 regardless what it is, make or buy a mount, and odds are you can rustle up a driveshaft that works without needing to be altered.

7. apbmalibu

apbmalibu
    from Wisconsin

The engine mounts at the sides and there is a crossmember at the rear of the trans I believe. I'm not looking to put 500 hp in front of the trans and head for the stip. I'm just looking for a quick V8 install for a little more oomph on the highway.

8. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

No matter how much oomph you are wanting...I'm guessing your gearing is going to limit you on highway speeds. That's one of the reasons I swapped out my rearend. Plus added a 5 speed.

9. Snarl

Snarl

Not really a good idea to be doing this, but there are a couple ways to make it happen.
    One is like Heathen suggested in using the '48-54 truck 3spd, but these don't have a rear mount on them, so some fancy fab work will be needed to create a rear trans mount.
    another is to find a vintage speed gems adapter bellhousing. Heathen might have one in his stash for sale??
    Third is to take an early 60's "421" aluminum bellhousing that had the smaller 4 1/4" center hole and modify the bolt pattern to work with the stock 3spd. I've done this in putting a 194 L6 in my '53 sedan.
    All of these options will not have the correct fork angle. I have a special linkage kit that will correct this issue.

Going to an open driveline with better gearing is really the better way to go...

10. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

I had one in high school, not a good idea they just arent tough enough. Bolt a 12 bolt rear in it and put a 4 speed or later 5 speed in it be done wth it. No Saginaws , a muncie or T-10

11. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Unfortunately, I don't. Sold the only one I had last year--it was the type that bolted to a '55-'62 factory adapter ring for a cast iron Powerglide, and must have been one of Honest Charley's own, since it had "HONEST ADAPTER" cast on it.