Register now to get rid of these ads!

You ever pop a hood and scratch your head?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ratmotor, Jun 30, 2010.

1. You know, not all apes are 'easy'

Attached Files:

2. kenseth17

kenseth17

And here I always thought this was stage three.

[​IMG]

3. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

I believe the Maserati engine in the Citroen was a V6. A fellow hearabouts used to run one in an Ice Race Car.
    [​IMG]

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

O yeah.

Years ago I bought a Jaguar XJS. It was running so rich that you could see the gas gauge dropping as you drove. Opened the hood and looked at everything underneath and thought - - WTF is all this?

Got a factory manual to try to tell me what was what. Could not make heads or tails out of it. Came to realize that all the manuals were printed wrong and included parts and pieces not on the actual cars. Friggin' limey joke LOL.

Anyway, the local Jag mechanic could not figure it out. I kept at it and figured it all out. Fixed the motor and it ran sweet forevermore. Learned a pantload about Jags and went on to be somewhat accomplished with them.

So yes you can do it, just stay with it.

5. Along with the guy that thought he should post it on the HAMB ! :p

6. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

My father-in-law once asked if he could keep a car in my yard that didn’t run… I said sure. He had it towed over….. It was a 75 or so nova.
    I popped the hood for a looksee and was kinda shocked to find a pre 65 Pontiac motor. Then I looked at the code on the front of the block and just about passed out.
    There it was 76X = >>(64 try power 389 4sp GTO motor)<< the exact motor I was missing for my 64 GTO convertible.

7. S.F.

S.F.

Friend of mine bought a 60 T bird....popped the hood and there sat 3 dueces...

8. S.F.

S.F.

That is one ugly piece of shit

9. The SofaKing

The SofaKing
    from Omaha NE

that's funny.... had something similar.. I got a 350 as p[art of a deal for a car i bought.. the guy bought it from some dude he knew that told him it was "built" I ran the numbers ant it is a 4 bolt 350.. so i pulled the and it has a steel crank with what looks like new bearings installed.. so i pulled the timing cover off and the double roller looks new too .. so i got it all back together now.. i think i am going to drop it in and see just how built it is..

life is good...

10. briggs&strattonChev

briggs&strattonChev

Any more info on this? Id like to see a 78 vette with a flatty sometime.

11. The Vette was for sale on another site a few years back. I think I would have to see it in person to believe it.-MIKE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. big bad john

big bad john

nope.....nothing up there to scratch

13. raidmagic

raidmagic

I had a Pontiac 400 in a 66 Chevy truck. Drove it for years before it blew up and I stole the motor out of another car I had laying around to get the truck back on the road, it was my work driver.

14. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Back in the 70's I yanked a 307 out of my 70 El Camino and put in a Pontiac HO 455 and TH400. It would haul.

15. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

That is almost worse than an open hood 30's car with an EFI engine. Looks like it sat with the hood open for a long time, or got pulled out of a lake.

16. xafalcongs

xafalcongs

Cool thread, here's some of the stuff I've seen over the years:

Vette Fuelie 327 and Muncie 4spd in a bone stock 1957 4dr Chevy wagon
    Buick 4.1 V6 in a Pontiac T1000 (Chevette with Poncho badge)
    Caddy 500 in a late 70's GMC 1/2ton pick up
    Caddy 500 in a late 70's Firebird....an ugly biege Turdbird at that
    351C in a 77? Vette
    TPI 5.7 Chebbie in a 1984 Mustang SVO...back in 1988!
    factory Ford tri-power unit on a 410 Merc in a late 50's GMC truck
    Ford 2.3 in some old Farm-All tractor, still haven't figured that one out
    Norton twin in a Craftsman riding lawn mower

17. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

2x on that...the funny thing is that the French still think that they are the arbiters of style and design and that everybody else sucks. Buahahahahahahaha

18. mj40's

mj40's

Here is a local Beetle.

Attached Files:

19. theczking

theczking

Workin in my dad Sinclair station when I was a kid A lady pulls in and her cars pukin fluids all over the lot She says can you look at it its overheating and then says can I put a flyer in your window for my daughters missing cat When I opened the hood it was cat everywhere

20. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Went to a local car show last Sunday and there, in the car corral, sat a ratty '65 Valiant four door with a 270 Red Ram hemi from a '55 Dodge strapped in it.

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

22. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

:eek:

23. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Years ago, I came across a rotted out '64
    Chevelle 4-door sedan in a boneyard that
    someone had stuffed a 2-bbl 383 Chrysler
    V8 and Torqueflite trans into. The car had
    stock Chrysler 'rear outlet' exhaust
    manifolds swapped 'side for side' to move
    the outlets to the front and connected to a
    crude homemade dual exhaust system via
    flex-tubing running *under* the front
    crossmember! :eek:

Mart3406
    ===========================

24. outcast13

outcast13

Scratch my head everyday, from 7:30 to 5:30, work at a Subaru dealership !! God I love my old cars !!

25. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

ha ha that pitt bull under the hood is funny , unless of course he got stuck lol

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Years ago(like three decades) there was a guy that used to run a 440 sixpak '69 Super Bee at our local track, towed it with a mid '60s F100 short-box. He got his hands on a 426 hemi, put it in the 'bee. Bet you can guess where the 440 sixpak wound up...

27. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Amen brother. It is mainly Toyotas for me at an independent shop. I cringe if I have to work on A Subaru. Had to r&r an alternator on a frickin' KIA today. What a pain.
    Somebody needs to make all those geekoid engineers work on the shit they come up with. I am sure they are designed only with ease of manufacture in mind, not ease of service. It gets worse with every new model year. I have yet to own a car with a computer or, without a carburetor. Hopefully they won't outlaw vintage vehicles untill I am 6' under.

28. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-------------
    Hmmm?? I'll bet that "engine" is a real
    dog! :eek::D:D

Mart3406
    =========================

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I was so pleased I found somewhere to post my dog in the engine picture I forgot about my 53 Chevy 4 door with a big block Chrysler, auto trans and 8 3/4 rear end. it also had a big leather seat probably from the same car. at one time I guess it was a nice car with a yellow paint job.

as for the dog it was a female who was running from a male and she thought that was a good place to hide.

30. Ford-Man

Ford-Man

My friend Jerad showed me a YouTube video of a VW taxi with a Subaru mill of some sort. The sound was crappy (either the vid or his phone) but it sure did boogie!

BBC in a Vespa 400...saw that on a poster on my friends garage wall. Talk about shittin your pants!

427 SOHC in a beautiful A pickup in Kalamazoo. The valve covers stuck out past the grille shell...no need to "look under the hood". He said it is a handfull to drive.

Late 50's Pontiac with the nailhead still in it. Imagine my surprise when we walk further back and see a tractor with a 401/425 in it! Rumor has it, it was a tractor puller named Wildcat. That was a fun adventure.

'51 F-1 with a 455 Olds...just seemed odd to me. I bet it shits and gits!