Register now to get rid of these ads!

The Jimmy Summer '40 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KingKustoms, May 18, 2006.

1. KingKustoms

KingKustoms

I was talking to jimmys son Lee last night and he said he heard that the car is somewhere in northern california!!!! I had always thought it was in South America somewhere. If anyone has any info at all please let me know. Thanks everyone

Attached Files:

2. 53chevy

53chevy

Man I've been chasing info on Jimmy Summers for years. My all time hero and inspiration. The last two or three issues back in the Rodders Journal sheded sum light on the 40 merc vert. It's somewhere here in California with frenched headlight (aahhh!) but everything still looks intact. I have a set of the hubcaps just like the ones on the second phase of the car and love everything about that car. I too would love to hear more about Jimmy, his merc, sheet metal fade-away co, driving with his buddy Doane Spencer, and so on.

Ken

3. KingKustoms

KingKustoms

Hey Ken im trying to get you some pictures from Jimmys son. He lives across the street from me and we were talking about his dad last night and i was telling him theres a lot of interest in his old man. He said this weekend hes going to try and get out all his old photos he has. He also said something about rodders journal doing an article on jimmy. Anyways any info or pictures i get ill make sure to post them and send them to you directly. If theres anything you want me to ask his son please let me know. He is the nicest guy i know and he will answer any questions we have.

4. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

The Rodders Journal #31 coverage of the early customs at Pebble Beach talks about it now being owned by Dick Page in the Pacific Northwest. I know there was another article stating the same thing, and it made it sound like he isn't in any real hurry to get it restored. It was high on the list of cars they wanted at the Pebble Beach show, but the guy wasn't real interested.

5. The car is is in Tacoma,Wash and is in good hands. It will get restored one day. I have personally rubbed my ass on it on a couple of occasions. Dick Page is a friend of mine. The car is in immaculate shape and is ripe for a restoration. Dick Page's health limits his ability to proceed on the project. What do ya want to know? Dale

6. Rikster

Rikster

Well the car has been in South America. I copied this from a early/mid 50's magazine. But luckely it came back to the USA and was kept in very well condition. I hope it will get restored very soon. So that we all can enjoy this amazingly styled cutom car.

[​IMG]

here is one photo of how it looks today.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  7. wait, was this the guy who produced to fadeaways for the 46-48 chevys?

8. Rikster

Rikster

Yes he was.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Good buddy Donn Lowe has seen it, knows the owner.
    Perhaps Donn is going to do the body restoration?????

That would would be a great choice!

10. KingKustoms

KingKustoms

WOW thanks a lot fellas. I showed jimmys son this post and a couple other ones about his dad and he almost lost it. He didnt know there was such a following for his dads old car still. Thanks again for all the info im so glad to see the car is in good hands and will hopefully be seeing a restoration soon. Im going to try and get a whole bunch more photos from him to post on here as i know a lot of you are as into that car as i am.

11. 53chevy

53chevy

I would love to see the engine compatment and how he fab'd the buick STYLE grill in the front, how it closes and mates to the hood and fenders. It's been channeled, so how did he handeled the inside. what does the dash look too. Rikster has an awesome site that has these photos plus some. Oh and what were the tail lights, bumper style or something on the fender. That is one of my biggest battles with my 40 merc coupe, tailights. I will be using desoto bumpers and I'm digging deep for ideas. "The go to" would be the bike style tail lights. I have a set of 37 buick that I have (they're diferent from olds and chev). Thanks

Ken

12. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

I have always admired the craftsmanship and design of this car.Looking foreward to seeing some more pictures of it.

13. KingKustoms

KingKustoms

His son said that the grill was all hand made, as well as the bumper. I would also love to see the interior and engine compartment. Its a shame that there isnt more coverage of the actual build of this car. It would be so cool to see Jimmy doing his custom work. He left this world way to soon. In my opinion he should be as well know as all the other big time builders from his day.

14. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Were you able to get some more photos??

15. 53chevy

53chevy

Yes! You've done this twice now. Saying this and that. I know nothing about you and can't jump to conclusion. But, please don't say something and not follow through. I take this to heart, cause as I said before, I see Jimmy Summer's work and the his 1940 vert as inspiration for working on my 1940 merc coupe. All the photos you posted have been published too!

Ken

16. HotRodHon

HotRodHon

I cant think of a better craftsman the Donn. If he does the work it'll be better than it was to begin with. (and I mean that as no slam against the original builder)

Craig:cool:

17. radio_king

radio_king

Bringing an old thread back to the top.Anybody have any new information of Jimmy Summers Merc current state of restoration?

18. rainguy

rainguy

thanks for all the great comments on the jimmy summers merc. im in a wheelchair so im getting help from frends un -frenching headlights, shaving off the club plaque mount on the deck. and removing the exh. tips from the rear pan. my good freind COL J F TEX ROBERTS bought it from Jimmy in 1950 and the USAFshipped it around the world. I worked on it for Tex about 40 yrs. ago. I've had it in my shop for about 40 yrs. off n on. Jerry Jacobs had it for about 10 yrs. while it was stored in my basement. I traded Androids 40 cp. for it. I'll post new pics. soon as I learn how. ...Dick Page aka RAIN GUY ps check the new street rodder pg 188 Dave Bell is a real pal.

19. Rikster

Rikster

Good to have you one here Dick.
    Looking forward to see progress on this all time favorite Custom Car.

Have the most of fun with the project.

20. 'Mo

'Mo

Amazing! Welcome aboard, rainguy!
    I'm listening!

21. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

WOW! First post and says he owns the Summer`s Merc, Who can beat that.

22. Burny

Burny

Can't wait to see current picts...

23. 50Fraud

50Fraud

Welcome, Dick! Please do put up pictures.

24. radio_king

radio_king

Welcome rainguy,thanks for the update.Can`t wait for the pictures!!

25. More pics, more pics, more pics. :)
    My favourite alltime customs are 39-40 Mercs and this is one of the best.

Nice to know it's still alive, keep us informed :cool:

26. rainguy

rainguy

Easy queston for you....Whats Jimmys sisters first name? If your really pals with his son this should be a quick and easy test. Dick

27. rainguy

rainguy

For much more info and pictures see: Rik Hoving's custom car history blog (july)

28. Rikster

Rikster

click the banner to check it out.

[​IMG]

29. jacobp

jacobp
    from spokane

hey grandpa did u finish the head lights? jake.