Register now to get rid of these ads!

help converting 66 lincoln transistorized ignition

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stink63, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Stink63

Stink63
    from coumbus,Oh

Im trying to help out a good friend with his 66 linconln convertible. I am a GM guy through and through, however I am at a stone wall with the ignition. It has a bank of transistors on the drivers side fenderwell, I put in a new starter solenoid, battery is charged fully, with the key turned to start position all you get is a buzzzzz at the starter solenoid. I am getting no voltage at the coil, I am getting voltage at the transistors however it looks like it does get voltage across the span of all of them.

I have heard that there is a conversion kit or way to convert the lincoln or the ford fe transistorized ignitions to bypass all the crap. Im lost on this.

2. Stink63

Stink63
    from coumbus,Oh

no one out there that has done this or knows about this conversion

3. My wife's 72 T-Bird had an electronic ignition a previous owner had cobbled into the car when the engine was replaced.Screwed up the wiring horribly.When it stopped working I bought a points type ignition;found a hot wire with the key in the ON position,and hooked it up.
    There were two black wires in the harness that were hot with the ignition on and I used one to go directly to the coil.The wire from the coil to the distributor is a resistor wire so there is no need for a ballast.Seems to work fine(it's been running for a couple months now).

4. newsomtravis

newsomtravis
    from pville, ca

probably try pertronix, should just drop in, and u can bypass all that other stuff, all u`ll need is ignition hot to the coil.....used them many times, work very well...