Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new toy--every Hamber should have one--

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by povertyflats, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Egor

Egor

Mac - You can do it easy the early engine had a bolt on splasher should not be hard to find. also the side cover is the same pattern as the upright engine so you can use that cover and make the engine look clean. You could mount using the head bolts and the pattern on the side cover. I am building one with the right side of the crank cut off and a new home made flywheel on the output side with an integral pulley. Also I have no shrouds on mine, I have run the heck out of this thing and with the thermal scan stays under 200. Mine has points so I am going to run total loss ignition using a Dewalt 14.4 battery for power and a motorcycle coil. Should last for days, and is easy to charge. I want to make a drop in slot for the battery also. The vert engine has a larger bore so it can make more power, remember the blade was the flywheel so if you run with just the light wheel on there it is a quick spin up but with no torque, sounds cool though. Have fun, Dave

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  2. llonning

llonning

Egor, your engine should be a magneto type ignition. No need for a battery. If you wire in a battery you WILL fry the coil. They make their own juice. The wire fitting is for shut off only, as in a ground.

Very few small engines came with a battery powered ignition. The ones I recall were Kohler and Onan. I am not aware of a B/S or Tecumseh that was battery powered, but I have been wrong before.

3. skoh73

skoh73

I have a 1954 Monark Super Twin (St-54) that I am considering selling. PM me for details.

4. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

I can't for the life of me get my Desoto Hemi to fit the damn hole in the bicycle. How long before HAMB members are hoppin them up and having sanctioned races? They are the coolest things. I have an antique bicycle located and planning now.

And Paul, the State of Kansas called.......They want their stop sign posts back! Just kiddin man. Those are great lookin bikes you have! Steven.

5. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

First off, some of the bikes you guys have shown are nothing short of beautiful. :cool:

Just today I was up in the mezzanine of my dad's pole barn organizing all the old bikes up there. I also remembered he has a good running 3hp engine taken off of a broken tiller last year with no current use.

Time for another project maybe? I certainly don't need another project... but I keep picturing an early 60's Scwhinn 26" w/springer front and the tiller engine in it. Everything originally painted is coppered, while everything else chrome; just as the Sting-Ray in my avatar.

6. hemifarris

hemifarris

Where would I go to buy one of these? I'm handicapped and couldn't ride it but I'd buy one just for its beauty. Any idea for website,etc?.....Thanks,Mike

7. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

contact Povertyflats via PM.

8. $$$$ You would head north-west from the Sausage Capitol about 38 miles. Place called Gypsum Kansas !! I've heard you can get one of these with a HEMI !!! >>>>.

9. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

how do they go with black jack ?
    interesting.

10. Egor

Egor

Honning - I cut the right side off the crank so there is no flywheel on the right, and no shaft. I am fabricating a new one for the left side, (output side) I am going to use the points to fire the thing. I also cut the fingers that hold the old mag coil off also. All the shrouds are gone and all the lugs that held it also, I have the engine canted forward just slightly and it looks cool. Like I said I have run the heck out of this thing and It stay's cool out in the wind, it only needs the shrouded cooling if you sit still too long. I am going to use the old bike rim method to get the power to the rear wheel, I think it looks cool. Ill get some pic's when I finish. Have fun, Dave

11. llonning

llonning

Egor, OK, sounds like you have or are in the middle of converting it. Good luck, I haven't seen anybody do this before. Pics would be great.

12. ChopperDavez

ChopperDavez

Here is my first motorized bike, a Cadillac Fleetwood with a 66cc engine, to a SBP jackshaft, to a NuVinci sfiter hub good for 50+ (faster than anyone should to go on a bicycle) giggle giggle...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a video in the driveway:
    [​IMG]

13. skoh73

skoh73

14. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

15. Jax2A

Jax2A

Came across this today and instantly remembered this thread...

Now it's in the barn... waiting to be reborn. My T touring didn't need this competition.

Attached Files:

16. Egor

Egor

Chopper Dave - Some of the guys over at motorbicycling.com are using that top tube for the gas tank. If you pop a small hole in the tube at a point that would be used for a petcock and blow air and see if it holds you could use it for gas, if not you would not see the hole. I think it would hold the same amount as that tank. You could look to see what they are doing to fetch a cap in there. I think they are using the brass heavy end of a garden hose with the stop cap, also brass and epoxy in without mussing up the paint. Have fun, Dave

PS: Beautiful bike.

17. willys1330

willys1330

You might want to up grade the BRAKES!! With any of the motorbikes if your going above 25 mph there will be times when you may need to stop. That cheap bike hub is not going to cut it. pk

18. Jax2A

Jax2A

So I have my new toy out today playing... third wheelie snapped the chain, nearly went over the bars when the front end smashed down. All I need is to break a bone at 44 years old and having to tell people I did it popping wheelie on my bicycle. Oh well, maybe I'll never grow up.

19. Beau

Beau

Mine so far.

Need to figure out sheave sizes and get the 1 h.p. Briggs in there.
    24" Surly Rims
    194? Schwinn Excelsior chopped
    Custom bars
    203mm disk front brake, drum rear
    More to come

Drilled handlebars for internal brake cables and baseball glove leather string for grips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

You should try being 44 and walking around in the normal world with your entire right side scraped up for a couple of weeks do to a Go Kart crash! Elderly lady at the bank waiting in line with me said "Oh dear, what happened to you?" Crashed my Go Kart at speed!, says I... She took three steps back and wouldn't talk to me any more!!

21. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

That tan board-track model is the coolest!

You've done a few different drive-train setups -- which one worked out best, and where did you get the pulleys/gears and clutches?

I'm hoping to build a stretched model similar to the board-track bike, leave the pedals on, and mount the engine between the pedals and the rear wheel.

22. FolksWaggin

FolksWaggin

[​IMG]

I'm pretty sure I've got a video of that bike running -- I'll try to find it and post it.

23. Jax2A

Jax2A

I was wondering this too. I'm looking at using one of the Chinese two stroke bike motor kits because it comes with all the little pieces that have to add up if you use the Briggs type motors. I think you'd be money ahead just popping for one of the kits if you don't have a inexpensive source for all the clutch/gears/cables/etc.

24. Dowies

Dowies

Here's my current design. All 1963 and older Schwinn parts. 1952 Monark front end. Vintage atom drum brake. I'm trying to run a 97cc flathead, sidevalve, four stroke motor. Custom motor mounts. I'm still trying to figure everything out...but It's coming along.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Beau

Beau

I'd love to see it. I would also like to track down the owner. I'm using the same engine and after seeing this photo decided to use another 24" rim for my rear sheave. I have no idea how it's gonna work though having such a big sheave out back.

26. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Impressive!

27. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Really Cool! when I was young before 16 I built my home made mini bikes, I never seen a Whizzer. I wanted to put a motor on a standard bicycle. But before I knew it I was 16 and into cars. Still into cars now at 60.

Ago

28. Dowies

Dowies

That is pretty much my exact story. I wanted a motorized bicycle when I was younger. Then I turned 15 and got a dirt bike, then motorcycles, then cars.... Good bye motorized bicycle idea for the next twenty plus years. Now I'm looking back and building some of the stuff I wanted when I was younger. The best comment someone has recently said to me was, "Where were you when I was twelve?"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Beau

Beau

Progress. (Dowies has probably already seen this!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm almost done finishing the tank. I'm using solder to fill the pin holes. It's been a bit of work.

30. kingpins

kingpins

awesome bikes!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.