Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Ford 4 Door Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KomoG2, Nov 21, 2009.

1. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Any one have any build ideas. Got too many things floating around in my head. Needing some guidence on what exactly to do for an Early 50's looking Kustom. I am keeping the 4 doors!

What I wanna know is what was really done back in the day to kustomize a car like mie, for the look I wanna get. Thanks Everyone.

Attached Files:

• 062.jpg
      062.jpg
      File size:
      497.6 KB
      Views:
    • 083.jpg
      083.jpg
      File size:
      495.9 KB
      Views:
  2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

3. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Thanks man, cool pic's

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

5. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Rebuilding the front suspension. Have king pin rebuid kit, lowering springs and shocks....anyone know where I can get the rubbers from?? Bushings and such??

6. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I like this one.

Attached Files:

7. Early fifties? French the headlights and tail lights. Get a '51 Ford hood and grill surround. Use a '53 Pontiac, '55 DeSoto or other grill from the era. Paint it a color from a '50s luxury car. Get the stance and rolling stock right. That means wide whites and full wheel covers and 3 or 4 inches of drop. In the early fifties skulls were still associated with the Nazi Waffen SS. Feelings were still pretty raw about WWII then.

And about that 4 door thing? People built mild customs out of the family car all the time in the early fifties. Check out the little books and Rikster's site.

8. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

My older brother had a 53 Chevy 4dr. nice custom I thought. Frenched headlights, taillights, shaved door handles, button openers, nosed decked, lakes pipes, dummy spotlights, skirts, and lowered. The paint was emerald green with white tuck and roll seats; trim was same as the emerald green exterior. The car had the six-cylinder power glide with split manifold. The dash had a lot of chrome; the car had wide whites with flipper hubcaps. The car was not chopped but with it sitting so low it really looked good.

This was 1961 I was 15 years old even though it was not legal my brother would let me take it out to cruise. It was a beauty, to this day with all of the cars that I’ve had over the years I would still like to have a car just like that one.

9. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Thanks a lot guys. I was looking to get rid of all my skulls and stuff anyway, shifter, lock nobs and rear deck lid skull. Now I have a real reason to. I'll try for the drop this weekend, no promises though, have homework to catch up on before my classes end.

Anyone got any other ideas? How about themed cars?

10. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I've got an idea...how about de-crapifying it, adding some rear door handles, and going for a traditional custom theme?

11. BadLuck

BadLuck

umm... yeah, I agree! Lose the webs, skulls, maltese cross stickers and remember, less is more. This can easily become a cool little custom with a small amount of work...:)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  12. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Yeah I know rite. Id like to just clean it up a little bit. Aready taken the skull out of the rear window(dont know if you could see it in the pictures) and a few stickersand Im going to paint over the webs and lower the front end 3 inches this weekend. Id like to know if anyone knows if suiciding the rear doors would be an acceptable thing to do for the theme Im looking for? or should I remove the front handles and go with door poppers for the look and new school tech?

Also a coat of a silver or similar, mainly lighter, color on the roof for the hot Florida sun to keep the car cooler. Im looking for some advice on how to do it, mainly how far down the pillars and how to seperate the two colors?

13. What color was the car originally? If the dash is in OK condition, paint it to go along with that. Ford had some very cool light colors in the 50s. Just lose ALL of the trinkety shit. No iron crosses, spider webs, checkered flags, none of that stuff. If you want to put stickers on it, look on ebay and find some old Florida tourist stickers. Or some pin up stickers. Don't two tone it. Shoeboxes don't look good in two tone, IMO. Mainly, make it smooth and pretty, get the stance right and put the right wheels and tires (WWWs with Olds Fiestas) and drive it and enjoy it. The rat rod ship has sailed. It's too late to get this Ford on it.

14. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Yeah I hear that. I dont really want it to be a rat rod anyhow. I want to clean it up, for now get the stance right and now try to find some of those rims. Any one sellin a set? two would work also.

15. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

So I got my Spindles out over the weekend, didnt realize that the set pins needed to be pressed out. Going to take em to a shop have them pressed out so I can redo the King pins before I lower the front end. Should be a cool sight to see, cant wait!

16. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

they have roller bearing king pins for shoeboxfords. if you're going that far,may as well go first class!!!

17. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

back in the day nobody would be cauught dead in a 4dr. From the fifties

18. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

don't be a wipe..there are hundreds of members here with 4 door rods. my first and second car in the fifties were 4 door cars..they were 50 bucks each..all we could get.

19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

I disagree.i have a lot of magaines from the 50's like Carcraft,R&C and Custom Rodder.There are quite a few nice custom 4 doors in those magazines.If it were my ford I would look at Rik's site and the magazines from the 50's.

20. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Thanks for all the info guys!

I do have another question though. I have a 6v charging system in the 50 now, but I have a 12v battery. The one I have in it is dead, go figuire. It is a red top, was cranking on the 12v bat. but I was told by the guy I bought the ride from, another HAMBer, that it wouldnt crank off of a 6v battery. Anyone have advice on a replacement battery?? Would like to get an ACDelco, Motorcraft or Exide as I can get them through my work. Thanks again!

21. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Well battery is all situated, getting back on the road in the morning. Thought I would share a few pics of the ride lowered 3". Let me know what you think of the overall stance, Thanks

[​IMG]

22. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

KomoG2-
    hows your ride coming along?

23. Flyinsolo71

Flyinsolo71
    from Austin

Lousy pic, but here is one I am working on. Should be in primer soon.

[​IMG]y

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  24. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

did you go with bags or static drop? good looking 4 door i also have a more door, its alot easier to get the familia in there...hehehe

25. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Alright, havent posted on this thread for a while now.
    I rebuilt and droped the front end, and it looked every bit as nice as I had hoped.
    But now what about handling?? I would like to have power disc brakes all around to modernize the car a little bit but I dont want a huge booster and master cyl. on my firewall.
    I was hoping you guys knew of anything I can use as far as parts from this and that for spindles, rotors calipers and such?
    Anyone got anything?

26. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Oh yeah, rafael I used 90 aerostar springs and
    Gabriel shocks for the drop. Found that to be a very easy and inexpensive way to go.

27. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

Thats my ride,thanks for posting,its a two door,glad you like it.

28. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Yeah hombre, hoping I can get mine that nice someday. I guess in due time. Nice Box

29. KomoG2

KomoG2
    from Utah

Ok. Ive been slacking on the build, and posting anything on here for a little bit.

Im looking to rebuild, modernize and generaly improve the handeling of the 50.
    What Im looking to do:
    Disc Brakes, front
    power brakes too
    modern spindle conversion
    bigger sway bar
    stuff like that.

What im asking.
    What have you guys used as far as inexpensive parts, or kits to actualy go about doingthis? Ive checked out a few merchants selling kits and stuff but nothing I want to pull the trigger on just yet.

Anyone want to share some secrets or give any advice to a young gun?

30. I want to see some pics of the new stance.