Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gold chainer post - I'm looking for a cruise control

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry, Sep 7, 2010.

1. OK, rib me if you want guys but I plan on driving the 59 Plymouth Suburban on some road trips and would like a cruise control. I spent my free time this weekend installing an old Zemco ZT-11 cruise only to find out the actuator is bad. :-( I've had no luck looking for another one.

Who makes a good, reasonably priced (ok, cheap) cruise control?

2. BJR

BJR

Look in the JC Whitney catalog.

3. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I have a 23 and 5/8" cruise control, that's how long the stick is that I jam against the seat and the gas pedal. 24" was 70, 24 and a half was 75. The 36" by 2 inch diameter one is for anti theft. Mine was cheap, found it in the woods, and I can use it to scratch my toes down into my boot.

4. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I need one of those for my roadster.

5. Paul

Paul
    Editor

searched "street rod cruise control"

Dakota Digital comes up a lot.. couple other names but none too "cheap"

6. mustangsix

mustangsix

audiovox CCS100

7. If you want to do something vintage, some Chrysler Imperials about 63-64ish had a cruise control knob, I believe it was like a pull cable to the throttle, but you'd want something that will always undo it if you press the brakes.

try hotrodders.com they might have more info on modern cruise control stuffs

8. I used a Rostra cruise from Dakota Digital and it works fine
    You could even hide the switches under the dash if you didn't want anyone to know-There is only one cable to your carb-hide the unit under the dash-good to go

9. I was kinda tempted by the audiovox CCS100 but I was having a hard time finding anyone who still stocked it. I'll do some web searching tonight.

10. BCR

BCR

I put in a lot of Dakota digitals and they work nice.

Yea I even have one in the roadster, keeps me from getting those driving certificates.

11. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

I'll bet you could make really simple cruise control if you just got creative with a throttle cable. Maybe something like the old manual chokes.

12. Domino

Domino

The parts car for my 62 Galaxie came with factory A/C and it has a knob to the left of the underdash unit to raise the idle. It has a cable attached to the accelerator linkage that you pull out. You can just barely see it in this pic.

[​IMG]

13. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Like BJR said, go with the cruise control that JC Whitney sells. Put one on my '31 Ford and it's great. I use the one with the small square switch pad, not the turn signal lever mount. Just got back from a trip to Rogers, AR, and used the control the whole way. That allows me to keep from getting a cramp in my right leg from having to always keep my foot on the gas pedal.

14. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

A throttle cable or broomstick on the throttle pedal will work only in perfectly flat parts of the country. I saw the broomstick work ok in north Texas - around Amarillo it's very flat, but with any minor hills to speak of your speed will go up and down.

You need a speed sensor (in the old days, typically a small magnet on the driveshaft with a sensor nearby) and a throttle actuator to have the car accelerate/coast based on actual speed. (These days most cars have something electronic to tell the electronic cruise control what speed you are going. So something needs to replace this.)

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I like looking in the JUNK yard and adapting when I can ( it more cost effective too ). The early 70's GM cars have a cable driven unit. It goes in between the transmission and the speedometer head. The unit has a bellows ( that pulls the cable ) and a brake light switch to disengage. SIMPLE and effective. I rarely have over 30/40 dollars in the complete setup ... not counting a new lever.

[​IMG]

I usually find a new one off that auction site ... for 20/30 dollars.

16. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

You should be able to adapt just about any of the old 70s model factory cruise units that ran off of the speedo cable. Bet those are cheap, if you can still find on intact.

That's what I was talking about.... DR beat me to the post.

17. I already epoxied the magnets to the drive shaft and mounted the pickup on the trans tunnel so I'm good to go on that count.

JCWhitney sells Rostra units these days btw.

18. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

19. skullhat

skullhat

aint they out of business?

skull

20. henry29

henry29

21. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

If you use a brick or a stick it won't be gold chainer. :D

22. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I snaked a bead chain(lamp accessory at LOWES) through a length of copper tubing mounted from under the dash out to the carb.
    Set the foot throttle about where I need it, slip a roach clip on the chain, the throttle is held where it will maintain preset speed.

When she slows going uphill I help with the foot.

If speed gets exceedingly fast downhill I have two choices;
    1) the girly-boy way, nudge the brake. 2) the gutsy way, hold on!:D

24. 59 brook

59 brook

i bought an audiovox ccs100 off ebay about 200 bucks works great.

25. I'm glad you mentioned the cable type cruise. I think I have most of a new one in a box of assorted stuff I got at an auction. I'm going to have to dig it out and see.

26. Steve from PA

Steve from PA

I have a Rostra in my 38 Chevy, works great.

27. OK, I've got a lot of the cable driven setup. Some of the wiring, the button switch, a number of vacuum hosesm the vacuum diaphram actuator, a number of short speedo cables, a brake switch, and the control unit the speedo cables and vacuum lines go into. I know I'm missing some wiring as there is nothing for the button switch to connect to.

What else am I missing? Does anyone have a schematic for the wiring and vacuum lines?

Thanks

28. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I've got a ccs100. Its a royal pain to install.

29. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I tell ya what, I'm not feeling so street rodder for having AC anymore, I even made a special spot on the seat so the tree sticks don't poke a hole in it. I'm sorta shocked. :eek: Are you guys running manual transmissions with cruise?

30. saberspec

saberspec
    from Kansas

I have a ZT-11 cruise control kit. Email me if you still need one.