Register now to get rid of these ads!

How far would you go to get that car? Sell your daily driver?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gigantor, Jul 15, 2010.

1. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

I agree here. My 53 buick is WAY more reliable than my 2006 Tahoe was...Ended up partin ways with that one after goin through a fuel pump, a starter and an oil pump...yes the oil pump failed.... all within 50K on a vehicle under religious dealer only maintenance

2. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I dumped a 2007 z71 crew cab with all the bells and whistles, and about another 4k in lift, tires and wheels to cut money and afford this hobby. I got into a 99 Yukon....not as flashy but still does the job. I took a big step back on the daily transport but am much happier with the income it freed up.

If you dump your daily for an old beater just make sure its not a shit box thats gonna take more parts and money to fix than just refi the dependable one.

I found my Edsel for sale while I still had a project. Posted the project for sale with the intentions of selling it and then buying the Edsel. Well the owner got "better deal-ed" and called and said I still had first shot. I went and got a personal loan for the amount and bough the Edsel. I had to sit on it at a buddies house for a month before the project sold and I was able to repay the loan. I was still out the interest that the loan had attached to it but to me it was worth it.

Not an easy choice.... good luck.

AND I agree with the other guys..... except for the ladies car this Yukon will be the newest thing I own. Old cars are easier to work on even if they need more work (which they usually dont).

3. I'd like to sell the wife's daily driver....and not replace it with anything....then put that money towards hot rod stuff...

....but I suspect there would be a severe lack of happiness somewhere in there.

4. thehardway

thehardway
    from Missouri

Damn, I am coming in late on this one....However My advice to you would have been to Sell the late model And buy the A...And get a beater.....Or Go into debt....Do whatever you had too to get the A if you really wanted it, I mean were only talking about $4500.00 here......As far as trying to sell what you have to buy the coupe, everytime I tried that by the time I got the cash together it was already sold!....Bottom line is if it is a deal It won't last long....I listened all my life to people who told me not to take any risky chances...And you know what I found out? taking the safe road all the time will allow you to never lose anything, But it will also allow you to never gain anything either....Screw that!...You prolly went into debt to buy the late model when you first bought it..So what is the diffrence?...I tell you what the diffrence is! When you bought your late model, As soon as you drove away from the dealer you started losing money on it. And it has been slowing losing you money everyday since......On the other hand You have the A,... When you buy it. There is no where for the price of it to go but Up!!....I have 3 32 fords 2 model A coupes a 46 ford convertible and a 55 chevy gasser....oh yeah and a 26 Tall T coupe. And a barn full of other shit!.....If I would have listened to the dumbasses who told me to never take any chances in life I would not have any of it!!...Just my 2 cents......Goodluck

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  5. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

I would sell it. when I started bulding my coupe,I ran out of money fast. So I sold my daily driver 02 super duty and down sized to ford ranger. now my coupe is just what I wanted, no regrets.

6. bgaro

bgaro

winter is coming you dont wanna be laying in the snow trying to fix a shitbox
    daily to and from work. if u aint from new england u might not understand.

7. pennylane

pennylane
    from 1904

Sell it. Get it! That's what I did to get my fairlane. Haven't regretted it once. It didn't take to much to make it a daily driver, just a little tinkering. Either way I hope you get a car goin soon! Good luck!

8. I drive a ten yr old Honda Accord daily, but I have 3 other cooler cars in the garage. Just make sure your daily is reliable and cheap to operate.

9. You don't have to be from New England to understand that being on the side of the road when you're supposed to be at work is not a happy situation. And if the weather is shitty it's the same deal only amplified because you'll have a cold wet ass.

10. QFT

Working in an independant shop, I used to do pre-purchase inspections. And I was VERY thorough for the $100 we charged (I'd spend about 90 min or more).

Usually anything more than about five or six years old would have enough stuff (axle boots, brakes, timing belt, big service/tune up w/ lots of fluids...) that it really wasn't going to be a low-dollar deal. A $2K car might have a $3000 repair list on it, instead of a $1800 list, but it would be an assload less.

I learned the hard way that keeping the payments down is a great idea. When the job downsized, at least I wasn't fucked by having to 'trade down' a car I was upside-down on but couldn't hack the monthly nut on.

BTW Gigantor: you may have missed a good deal, but at least you didn't pick up on a bad deal.

That's much, much worse. Imagine not getting a date with a really, really desirable woman, as opposed to getting a date with a woman you end up marrying... who takes your house in a divorce and leaves you with the clap.

See, missing out on a good deal isn't as bad as picking up on a bad one, right?

-Bill

11. Fenders

Fenders

bgaro I love the '30 coupe in your avatar. Nice job !

12. Texas-Greaser

Texas-Greaser
    from EAST PLANO

amen!