Register now to get rid of these ads!

60'-70's Vintage Oval Track Modifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by john56h, Apr 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neal78

neal78

Yvan: Those are great pics of your Vintage cars!! Neal

2. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

To step back a couple of pages in this thread, here's a link to a "Daytona modifieds" discussion, along with a picture of Ritchie Evans' "Speedway Camaro"

www.nationalspeedsportnews.com/node.php?tag=2&id=537

Quote from 'Jbull"....
    "Some of us may curse Maynard Troyer for being one of the forefather's, if not the most successful builders, of the turn-key or cookie cutter modifieds of today. But, back when he was racing he was one helluva driver and he built some neat and fast machines. Even though I was down on Long Island, I couldn't wait to see a picture of the newest Troyer creation each Spring. I was fortunate to see him race on LI in the 70's and I took in the Race of Champions and various big races at Trenton and Pocono where I saw him race. He won a ton of races and track championships including all of the prestigious races of the day, the ROC, the Spring Sizzler, the Classic....."

Very true, plus Maynard's business, along with the chassis building ventures of several other modified teams, allowed some of us who didn't posess the equipment or fabrication skills to build a safe car, a way to get on the track.

3. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Dr. John, thanks for posting this picture of Dave. Although I haven't seen him in a number of years, especially since he "went south" a while back, I considered him a good friend back in the mid/late 80s. I always remembered him for his clean looking cars, especially the Corvair bodied cars.

4. cru_zn_29

cru_zn_29

Does any one know any thing about old #65??? I was told it was raced in calif Thanks Kenny

Attached Files:

5. Rentawrench

Rentawrench

Leadfoot Daves Son races a Mod on the "Southern Tour" an at the "North/South Shootout"

6. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

Yes, I heard that. There's a racing website that I also frequent, called RaceNY. On that site, one of the members posted a couple of YouTube clips from the television program "Madhouse" (about the "racing" at Bowman Gray Stadium), and I saw Dave's son Josh in action.

It's hard to believe that Josh is that old now, as I remember seeing him take his first steps in Dave and Debbie's backyard (in western NY), in what seems like just 4-5 years ago...

7. cdnmodman

cdnmodman

[​IMG]

One sharp ride.Photographer unknown.

8. Third DodgeBrother

Third DodgeBrother

[​IMG]

In the background of the Troyer shot is the hood of the "Mystic Missle". Thought I would never forget that car and driver! Refresh my memory, please.

Lenny

9. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Hello All, I went to the first annual Legends Reunion at Old Dominion Speedway Manassas Va. this past week, had a great time. Got to chat with Al Gore (91 years old) who was the promoter back then and his kids Gary and Dick who are the promoters now. I also got to chat with Mel Bradly, Bob Dobyns and Lionel Johnson all just plain good folks.

I went down a day early and spent a day in Richmond to visit with Ted Hairfield and Junie Donlevy I tried to contact Red Foote but somehow missed him, maybe next year.I did go to Southside Speedway to watch the last race of the season, while there I got to meet Roy Hendrick, Ray's son. I was made to feel welcome every where I went, in my day Wilkerson (I forgot his first name) was the promoter now his daughter Sue is the promoter.

I'm gonna try to attach some photos, bear with me. did i spell bear write...ha ha.

The next day went to the Henchcliff Reunion in New Jersey but more on that over on the Sprint Car site. Denny Z

10. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Ted Hairfield and me,

Attached Files:

11. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

More photos, these from Old Dominion Speedway.

First photo L to R Mel Bradly, me, Joe Kelly (the track announcer) and Lionel Johnson.

Second photo Bobby Dobyns.

Attached Files:

12. cdnmodman

cdnmodman

Leo Cleary drove the Mystic Missle in the 1970s.

13. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

Heres a little video to watch

HTML:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftJHNiACT8M

14. yvan lacroix

yvan lacroix

15. leadfoot4

leadfoot4

16. New Britain

New Britain
    from England

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Mystic Missile Racing was established in 1961 by team owner Bob Garbarino; a successful racer, businessman and father of three. Mystic Missile’s core competency has been competing in the NASCAR Modified Tour since its inception in 1985. The team has fielded some of the most competitive cars and successful drivers in the history of the Modified Tour as well as representing quality sponsors such as Pennzoil and Ralston Purina .

Past drivers include:
    Leo Cleary
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bugsy Stevens
    Steady Eddie Flemke Sr.
    Ken Schrader
    Geoff Bodine
    Brian Ross
    Satch Worley
    Tim Connolly
    [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Robbie Summers
    Chuck Hossfeld
    Jerry Marquis
    Donny Lia
    [/FONT]

http://www.mysticmissile.com/team.html

17. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

KEN BRENN'S SHOW ... ANOTHER IDEA
    http://www.warrennjcarshow.org

Sprinter 2 (Doug) is bringing his beautiful Darrell - Villa #83 Kurtis Offy midget.
    MAYBE us HAMBers can set up a time to meet by his car?

Either that or MAYBE PM each other with our cell phone numbers and comprise a list of numbers that one or two of us could call while at the the show ... to arrange us all getting together there????

Just some thoughts.

Anyone?????????

18. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

Great Idea Ken, I'm gonna try to make it but I race the night before so only maybe.

Anyway here's my cell # 860-986-3817. I turn it off Saturday at the races but the rest of the time it's on. I don't answer while driving on the highway either so if I don't answer leave a message and I will call you back. Denny Z

19. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

GRRREAT Denny!! THANKS!!!

I've already answered you extensively on the sprint car thread here .. and to a lesser extent i the midget thread.

If anyone here is planning on going .. get me your cell number, so I can call you when there .. so we can ALL get together at one specific time & place. (You can also check on the sprint car thread here for more details.)

Plenty of vintage stock cars/modifieds there last year .. to name a few one of Wally Dallenbach, Sr's. early rides, some from Reading, the Ferrante X3 driven by Jim Hendrickson, some from Flemington including Ray Liss with one of his early rides, the former Butch Miceka owned coupe driven by Fred Harbach and M-O-R-E.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010
  20. RABs32

RABs32
    from new jersey

Went to the Hinchcliffe stadium 3rd annual racing expo sunday, and got these shots of the couple of mods that were there,missed the asphalt mod, he was loaded up and left before I got a chance to get some shots.....Rich

Attached Files:

• 288.jpg
      288.jpg
      File size:
      547.5 KB
      Views:
    • 292.jpg
      292.jpg
      File size:
      584.1 KB
      Views:
    • 293.jpg
      293.jpg
      File size:
      556.3 KB
      Views:
    • 294.jpg
      294.jpg
      File size:
      492.7 KB
      Views:
  21. Here's some super modified racing from Australia in 1971ish
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L9gUcxjGZzU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L9gUcxjGZzU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

It's from Morissett speedway just south of Newcastle, NSW, I'm pretty sure it's the Australian championships.

22. Part 2
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IuvtmCh881s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IuvtmCh881s?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

23. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

Dr. John,
    Thanks for posting that pic of Dutch & Loescher. 1971 was the last real "good" year that Dutch had, IMHO. He won 9 times at Shangri-la (would had a 10th, but an over aggressive Geoff Bodine pushed him out of his way to win one other night), and had everyone covered at Langhorne...until something happened (broken suspension part?) that caused him to back into the front stretch wall late in the race. No doubt one of the all time best ever, on dirt and asphalt.

24. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Some more of Maynard Troyer in the early 70's with other stars of the day...

a mixed group of bodies styles with pintos, vegas, coupes and coaches...Bud Schilling #36, Maynard Troyer #6, Gordie Treichler #47, Roger Treichler #74

[​IMG]

another from those crossover years... Maynard Troyer #6, Dick Clark in the #16x Barracuda, Don Deffendorf in the S/360 and the #56 or (? Gary Iulg?)

[​IMG]

and another...Lou Lazzaro in the #4, Troyer #6, Dave Lape #22 and a young Goerge Kent in the #26

[​IMG]

all pintos and a valiant for the National 400 at Lancaster...but the caption says Bobby Santos won the event in a coupe (Art Barry's #09, I believe)

Troyer #6, Bodine #99, Ray Hendrick in the Armstrong #1, Evans in the #61 and it say Vigliarolo in the #34. (he owned the car, but it may be Eddie Flemke driving it)

[​IMG]

another potent pack: Troyer #6, Cook #38, Evans #61, Bodine #99

[​IMG]

Troyer #6, Bodine #99 and Mike Loescher in the #88 Coach

[​IMG]

25. JBull

JBull
    from NY

more Troyer

John Grady photo: Troyer at Shangra La 1974

[​IMG]

Troyer #6 Battling with Merv Treichler #58, Mark Newton #55 and Jerry Cook #38

[​IMG]

in victory lane

[​IMG]

Another tight pack: Troyer #6, Sonny Seamon #50, Jerry Cook #38, Richie Evans #61 and Geoof Bodine #99

[​IMG]

Troyer and Bodine

[​IMG]

Troyer and Dutch Hoag? at Lancaster photographer?

[​IMG]

26. JBull

JBull
    from NY

more troyer....

photographer?

[​IMG]

int the pits at Freeport 1974 between Evans and Bodine (Fred Harbach's white camaro in the background) B&G Wurthmann photo

[​IMG]

photographer?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. I used to go to the local NY-NJ tracks with a High School friend of mine back in the 70's or so. He has a web site with both his old photos and mine we used to develop in our basement darkrooms. I gave all my old negs to him and he has some of the photos posted up on the site...

http://www.speedwaysnapshots.com/

28. JBull

JBull
    from NY

Troyer leading Bodine, Stevens, Treichler, Hoag, Chartrand and the rest of the pack at Langhorne
    [​IMG]

At Martinsville alongside Satch Worley #45 and Gil Hearne #12 in one of his former cars

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oswego 1972

[​IMG]

29. Ken_Schou

Ken_Schou

They're calling for possibly rain on Sunday (at least for here on Long Island, NY) .. so we're going to have to watch and follow the forecast (on the Internet, I guess) for Warren, NJ re the show there scheduled for this Sunday (the 12th).

I've checked the Web Site and there doesn't seem to be a phone number to call on Sunday, in case the weather is so, so.

http://www.warrennjcarshow.org
    I've eMailed the show chairman, to see if there is one or not. If I don't receive a reply, I'll give Ken Brenn a call.

It'd be nice to have a phone number to call, rather than driving &/or towing the full distance & possibly being disappointed.

If it does rain (I hope not) .. the rain date is the following Sunday, the 19th.

Meanwhile, I've accumulated some of the cell numbers of the folks planning to be there. How's 12:30 for a time for us to get together there????? .... If that that time is OK .. I'll call everyone approx. 1/2 hour before as to exactly where, etc..

I'll post this on the midget & sprint car threads too.

30. shamrock 3x

shamrock 3x

My guess on the #56 coupe (post #6612) is Norm Moyer. Definitely a Sonney Seamon built car.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.