Register now to get rid of these ads!

peral with flake paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrohemi, Feb 4, 2010.

1. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

I am going to paint my 49 dodge truck soon. it is going be 68 mustang limegold. the roof however I want to to white peral with a little flake. I am looking for suggestions in how to go about this and what color pearl. I like the look of the newer cadilac perals but think it needs some flake or metallic in it to make it for me. I also tossed around the idea of gold pearl or green peral or even color shifting flake or peral. my idea was to spry whit base with so flake. then a mid coat pearl with prehaps more flake and then clear with the rest of the truck. I don't want a heavy flake just a pearl with sparkle. any ideas or pictures would be great.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  2. Do you mean pearl?

3. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

yup pearl. I can't spell worth shit or type

4. skullhat

skullhat

i wouldnt put pearl on top of flake, excepting scallops or stripes etc.

the colorr changing flake will work over a white or pearl white base if done correctly , but you gots to be careful, if ya know what i mean.

candys work best over flake for me, but it can be pulled off

skull

5. BigNick1959

BigNick1959

Caddy white Pearl is a pain to spray and have it look good, at least I had trouble with it. I would suggest you shoot your flake, on top of that give it a few coats of clear with dry pearl powder of your liking mixed in and then a couple of coats of just plain clear. If you wet sand on the Pearl or the Peral you'll screw it up and lose the Pearl effect. Your probable not going to see much of the Pearl effect though with the flake popin' in the sun.

hope that helps!

6. outlaw1949

outlaw1949

IMHO, pearl over flake is a waste of time. The flake will over-power the pearl.

7. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I'm in the stages of shooting the top with lace and some pearl and some flake too.I still have 3 more steps to go, but here it is so far.
    Pearl will cloud the effects of the Flake,,dull it down and defeat the purpose..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  8. BISHOP

BISHOP

Pearl over flake will look milkee. How ya like how I speld that, milkee.

9. PeeVee

PeeVee

I would use that newer caddy white, Lemon ice. It has some color shifting pearl in the mid coat. A gold to green sort of look. I think it would look killer with that ford green. Then if you want mix up some small green or gold flake in some DBC 500 and spray on the top of the pearl then clear. Do some test panels try a few differnt coats or amounts if you go to big with your flake it may destract from the pearl. Test panels are the key to dial in the look you want.

10. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

"Ditto" on the flake and pearl not working well together. the pearl will mud up the flake, or the flake will over power the pearl.
    Do what PeeVee said, absolutely. Then paint a fender, and put it outside, some place where you will see it every day. If you still like it in a month your golden.

11. PatrickG

PatrickG

This is a white base, with HOK ice pearl, and 2 or 3 coats of HOK abalone metalflake.

You still can see the pearl really well, with the flake really lightly done, just enough for a nice sparkle, doesnt detract from the pearl.

I would think doing a lot of flake over the pearl would just serve counter to the point of having it there in the first place.

unfortunately it was really bright, and the resolution on these just isn't enough to really show you what I mean, but... i think done right pearl and flake together can work pretty well..

its also been several months, and im still into mine.. :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    if you look really closely at this 2nd picture you can see a little bit of what I mean, as far as how much flake

12. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i just painted a MG for a lady at the shop using a yellow base with small flake and pearl mixed together as a mid coat than clear coat it came out great. it has both effects depending on the lighting. the trick was test panel after test panel in sun light and different lighting but if you don't mix your om paint in house like i do this may not be possible, i don't think a paint jobber will keep mixing for you till your happy. most mid coats on high end cars today are pearl with flake.

13. I agree, it ruins the pearl effect.

Bob

14. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Markzrodz;
    That lace job is baaaaadaasssss. I dont know much about paint, but I like it.

15. 46mopar

46mopar

You're killing me man that was the colors I had pick out for that truck.
    I know this thread is from awhile ago so how about and update with pics.

16. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Just use a pearl with some sparkle, like HOK's Ice Pearls, or look at Innate's offerings. Or use a small flake with some pizzazz, like Abalone, or transparent flakes, again, sold by Innate.

17. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Agreed, less ir more here. Whatever you choose, extremely light coats on top of the pearl or it will look millllkkkkkeeeeeee. :D

18. big-vin

big-vin

do you paint first and then mix the flake in the clear? thanks vinny

19. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

thats what I decided to do. use some peral with sparkle. haven't painted it yet. getting a little behind and had some other projects. will post pictures when I paint

20. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Paint first, then pearl, that way the pearl shows up better. OEM's mix it in, but have to use more material, and get less effect.

Oh, yeah, and BTW, I'm getting tired of saying it, but make sure you spray out some test panels, to get your "mix" right, and correct amount of coats to get the effect you want...too much flip flop and it's milky, not enough, and you might not see the effect.
    Oh...and be sure to get the right kind of pearl to match the effect you want. There are solid color pearl flakes, and transparent flakes that flip flop to another color when the light hits them. Also 2 color pearls, and transparent flakes that flip...or flip to 2 or 3 colors...and on and on....

21. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

I know this os an old thread but finally got ti painted

Attached Files:

22. nitrohemi

nitrohemi

here is another. HOK white sparkle peral and 05 mustang legend lime.

Attached Files:

23. 46mopar

46mopar

updates man....