Register now to get rid of these ads!

brake drums for 55 olds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny_Ringo_84, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Johnny_Ringo_84

Johnny_Ringo_84
    from Indiana

Okay so one of the front drums on my olds is warped and just all around screwed up. anyone know of alternative make drums that will work. if I wanted to switch to for example buick drum brakes, I would need to swap everything back to and including the spindle right? can someone school me on brake drums please.

2. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

3. Johnny_Ringo_84

Johnny_Ringo_84
    from Indiana

Those are rears, I need fronts. I seen that Kanter does. Why don't they ever come with a new hub? If you are going to replace the drum would it make since to get a new hub and all? Does anyone make hubs? Also thanks for the response.

4. Crafty

Crafty
    from UK

Not that I know of, most parts will be available from Fusick - bearings etc.

5. MissFortune

MissFortune
    from Lemont, IL

having the same problem with my 56' Olds. It has a front disc conversion but my rear drums are going to need replacing soon. I know for sure Kanter's got them (I don't know how much though), and Fusick has them for $119 each. Good luck!

6. belair

belair

Scarebird. Look em up

7. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

I have 2 55 olds parts cars that have most suspention mechanicals if you want to P.M. me.Dan

8. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Don't complain about the price, if they're available...I wore out my 55's drums about 10 years ago. At that time NOTHING was available aftermarket. You either took a chance and bought junkyard ones, and HOPED they would clean up nicely, or really search around to try and find some new old stock. I found a guy on Long Island who had all 4 for my car, and he "only" wanted 150$ a piece! That was a LOT of money back then!
    I think it's great some guys like Kanter have stepped up and had them repo'ed! I'm sure it cost them a fortune to get the manufacturing process going...support them and maybe they'll make more unavailable stuff reproduced!

9. flatoz

flatoz

Try Dmarv here on the HAMB he runs a carquest and has managed to get me a lot of part for my '55 88. I didn't get drums off him but all the other hardware so you never know. but even $119 each doesn't sound too bad to me, it is a 55 year old car that isn't a chev or ford so what do you expect? I will be if it was a packard you would really be bleeding from your ring hole for parts.

Rock auto

Also list a few parts for the '55 olds