Register now to get rid of these ads!

Long LOST Customs/Hotrods.....let's start a list.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SinisterCustom, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

you dont happen to mean this car do you?

Attached Files:

2. rainguy

rainguy

thats ed roths wishbone w/o yellow paint. Heard eds son restored it and still has it maby it was dennis cant rember

3. rainguy

rainguy

i THINK THE CAR AT STARBIRDS IS A CLONE THAT DARREL BUILT THE ORIG IS STILL OUT THERE

4. rainguy

rainguy

meatball....about Ray ..I used to work for him at RF productons car shows accepting enterys judging ect. NICEST guy ever honest and very smart. he built a 40 ford custom shop truck,the eclips 32 roadster pu all custom. several bikes that we showed in a boothill procession and a very wild 50s Jag coupe Thats when I met Lee Pratt he had a buick wildcat named choosy begger an maney other icons thru Ray. Iwas allready friends with Roth and got to help display the Druid princess for Rays shows. those were grate shows Ray put on.

5. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Pat Ganahl has a book thats going to be released this month called Lost Hot Rods.It's about lost hot rods and customs that were found.

6. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Here's a few I've always wondered about;

The Blue Danube 52 Buick by Barris (Jack Walker built a clone).

Big Al #1Allison 34 sedan; the STEEL body once it was replaced with the fiberglass flopper body? Is the steel body on the street as someones Hot Rod or was it uncerrimoneously scrapped???

Bugarin's Barris built 51 Merc??

Lumpy's 40 Ford convertable from "Leave it to Beaver" circa approx 1961. IIRC, it was purple, nosed and decked and had the door handles removed. Possibly lowered a bit-a bitchin lookin 40. Always wondered if anyone ever saw it later on the streets of LA?

The "Centerline" 55 Nomad. Black with orange/yellow flamed down the sides. On the cover of Street Rodder Aug.75 and appeared in Centerline ads of the day. Most probably repainted by now.

Bill Hines built Jerry Yatch 59 Impala.

I'll also 2nd wanting to know where Jr. Conways 50 and Bill Hines' Lil Bat 51 are. I recall reading that James Dean's Porsche body disappeared one night in the midwest while on (Barris) tour. Like a stolen Picaso, is it in a in a private collection or possibly the Dean family was sick of the parade and ordered it's disappearance?

Attached Files:

7. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any updates on the Buster Litton Panoramic Ford? There was a post about a lead...

8. fulltrack

fulltrack

I didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if you already know this but
    that lil couple is alive and well. I saw it cruising all over the island this summer. It's still owned by Rich and fairly recently restored. Bitch'n car.

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Both the Jack James and the Kermit Hansen 57's interest me.

10. Jeff J

Jeff J

I thought it was done and was shown at the Oakland Roadster show on the main floor Painted Candy Brandy Wine w/white strips and Kathy & Mr Merc owns it !

11. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

No....the top doesn't look the same as the car I was referring to. :)

12. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Built in the '50's ,,ain't been seen since the early '60's ,,
    [​IMG]

13. Erwin

Erwin

Andrew Southard's book on '50's Hotrod's. There is a red Deuce highboy with chrome 16" steelies,Firestone tires. Picture taken at the San Jose Drag strip. It's on page 47. Wondering if anyone can account for this car. Is it out there?

14. CONNMAN

CONNMAN
    from Lampe,Mo.

Ed Roth's '55 with a 406 Ford Motor ,,ain't been seen since he sold it in the late '50's ,,
    [​IMG]

15. The Tackman

The Tackman

For all you metro Detroit folks....What happened to the '69 Z-28 named Awesome Z? It had a blown big block and tilt front end. Does anyone have any pictures?

16. rainguy

rainguy

Pats book about hot rods and customs lost and found will show several never before published vintage photos of the jimmy summers merc that were sent to me by Jerry Jacobs. I have others that I will send to Rik Hoving when I learn how. Dick

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

That reminds me of Roth's flamed/chrome taped striped roof 57 Chevy as seen here in Andy Southards Custom Cars book. I built a 1/25 scale model of it that I'll have to post pics of.

Attached Files:

18. pgan

pgan
    Member Emeritus

I'm very glad to see there is so much interest in this topic. As has been mentioned a couple of times, my new book, Lost Hot Rods, should be out within 2 to 3 weeks. It covers exactly the topic you're all talking about. It also talks about how and where to find such cars.

Over the course of the last couple of years I found about 100 cars, some once-famous, others not famous at all, but most in garages or shops in urban or suburban neighborhoods. Not barns or farm fields.

It's available from Cartechbooks.com. The title is Lost Hot Rods. It has also been available for pre-order on Amazon for a while.

And if this one sells well, I'm defintiely planning a sequel, including some of the cars you've mentioned here.

Pat Ganahl

19. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Pat.Thanks for the update.I'm looking forward to the first book already and now you say you might be doing a second book if sales are good.I hope so!

20. 296ardun

296ardun

I understand that Miss Elegance was scrapped. Saw a photo of it in the early '60s on an Oakland street, abandoned and rotting...have not heard about progress on the clone...

21. I was re-reading this thread the other day and was thinking, have folks ever looked for the vin numbers of the lost cars to aid the ID of cars. I've read on the Yenko message board that some of those guys have the vin sequences handy or memorized, and they've checked out race cars at the track and old rollers for sale and sometimes found 'em. I was thinking about the missing Mercury's for example.

22. Honest Charlie

Honest Charlie
    from Pa.

Please do, I'd love to see that one.
    Did you use the Revell kit as a starting point?

23. SKYGUY

SKYGUY

I read awhile back that Scott's T is in a trailer behind his mothers house.

24. jivin jer

jivin jer

Well, how about this one. Out of the Spokane Wa. area. 1962 Carcraft.

Attached Files:

25. 39delux

39delux

Like the caption says I was also captivated by that Chevy back in '62. I still have my issue too.

26. Deuces

Deuces

I have that vintage kit... From 1963..;)

27. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

can't look away!!! love the wheel wells,,, car is perfect!!

28. da dodge brother

da dodge brother
    from wisconsin

Bill Cushenberys 1959 Chev., Exodus. Understand it's in southern CA. sitting outside without any windows. It was in Hawaii for some time. The salt air there didn't do it much good but it was very much savable when it got back to the states. And now it's sitting out wide open to the elements and I understand that the only thing holding it together is the lead that Cushenbery used for the bodywork.

Attached Files:

29. Johnny C.

Johnny C.

How about the Houston Rod & Custom Shop Special???

Attached Files:

30. XALTERED

XALTERED

Not the XTREME, but The X ALTERED. Puhl built it for my uncle. We now own it.