Register now to get rid of these ads!

My 34 Chevy 3w build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ak's-r-us, Sep 4, 2010.

1. ak's-r-us

ak's-r-us
    from oregon

i figure its time to start a build thread, i have finally collected enough parts to get started. this is one of those back burner projects, the few and far between paying jobs obviously take priorty.

so i drug this heap out of the woods as gravy in a trade deal... not sure if it is a 34 or 35... but i have a 34 plate.... and thats what im calling it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so i started by getting rid of what was left of the rotten wood... then went about trying to get the body squared.. you can see the over abundance of bracing inside the body to get it done. i had a couple goals with the chop... number one: i wanted to go for a lakester look, but didnt want to go "too" much. number two: i wanted to do it the "old" way.... its all oxy/hammer welded. no real reason behind it other than i wanted to try something new to me.

i started with whackin 4.5" all the way around.... knowing it would drop the front more when i raked the windsheild.... i went back and took some more out of the rear to get the look i wanted. once i got to that point, i thought the windsheild itself looked goofy short.... so i cut into it and raised the top 1/2 bout an inch. wheeled out a roof insert and went about burning/hammering metal.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so at this point, my ADD kicked in, or maybe i ran out of welding gas.... but i decided to move onto the bottom edge of the body... i want to bellypan the car. so i rolled some 1x1 .083 tube to recreate the reveal along the bottom of the body.... sans the upward curve. its right where the general put it at the rear... but its got an angle wedge goin on as its about 1.5" up at the cowl.

i am at the point i can see the car coming together, and its time to get a solid foundation for it to sit on. i had figured on 2x4 main rails, but wanted to have a "factory-ish" look to the front rails. i set out with the measurments off a buddies car with a 4" drop axle, figured in my 4" of ground clearance at the cowl... and layed out a nice graceful curved/tapered rail to fit my needs. transfered that to a plasma template and went about making sparks. here they are all cleaned up

[​IMG]

my next update should be the start of the chassis, with my dummy W motor/ super T10. im still trying to decide on hairpins/bones/or ???

2. Tim G

Tim G

I like what you've done withe the chop, is there something you don't want us to see behind the licence plate? :)

3. ak's-r-us

ak's-r-us
    from oregon

not at all...its just sittin there along with the rear window section.

4. kisam

kisam

I'm going to be watching this build. So what was the final chop (in inches) and can you post up a side picture? I have a 35 Chevy on the back burner that I am thinking "Gasser".

5. big bad john

big bad john

Nice car......Kept us posted in the future:D

6. Tim G

Tim G

Yeah would be good to see a side profile shot, was just messing with you about the licence plate, work so far looks great, look forward to seeing it progress....

spam reported.

7. farmer12

farmer12

Great chop, looks good. Going to be watching this one.

8. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WTF?! Reported, I see a ban coming...

Back on topic, can't wait to see the W motor. 409?

9. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I like the shape of the roof...I think your rite on trac for what u want..nice job!! Replacing that wood is alotta fun, my buddys replacing all his rite now in his 34 master, Great build to watch so keep posting.

10. Ghost28

Ghost28

In a car like yours replacing the wood with steel is needed for a solid structure for the long haul. The chop looks great. have you chopped, and set your doors in the pockets for alighnment?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2010
  11. The chop looks great. I wish my truck was a coupe , ha!

12. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

great project!

13. ak's-r-us

ak's-r-us
    from oregon

434" W motor, alum heads, solid roller cam.... its still in the unlimited budget dream building stage.... but thats the plan

my cure for the wood is a lil more modern than just replacing it with steel square tube... this car will have a full cage, and dimpled plates to hold the body in place/shape.

i havent touched the doors just yet.... they should be simple to fit the opening. but i need to build complete inner structures for them, and reskin the lower 2/3's. they are major projects in themselves, so i was putting them off for a while.

thanks for the comments... i will keep this updated as i make progress

14. Kreepea_1

Kreepea_1

Good Chop, Man! You have an interesting build going on. I'm slowly building a '34 3W too. Looking forward to seeing that chassis come together.

15. dudley32

dudley32

Kreepea 1...I wanna see some too !...d32

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

looks like a pretty nice project , keep feeding us photos of your build , car addiction , needs to be fed

17. solid

solid

Real cool project.

18. What ever happened to this?

19. ^^ Yeah I'd like to see how it's coming along.

20. 60galaxieJJ

60galaxieJJ

Sweet! This is going to be exciting to watch

21. dubcee

dubcee

what ever happened to this build?????

22. 'Ol AKs'R'us hasn't posted anything on the HAMB since Dec. of '10.