Register now to get rid of these ads!

New 55 project man I'm nuts!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Aman, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I brought home this new puppy after looking at several tri 5s over the last 2-3 months. It looks kinda rough but most of it is surface rust along with a few dings, you know the usually stuff. It was sitting in a field at a ranch for the last 1 and 1/2 years. The guy swears it will run and the reason he parked it was the radiator let go and with the military, moving, and relocating his business in the mist of a divorce, never got the thing fixed. I guess the new girl friend took priority.
    I had a question for ya'll about using bug bombs in cars. I've heard of it done so I wanted to ask about it first before I screw something up. Check out the tuck and roll white interior. It's in pretty good shape with a little dirt and mold, other than that I couldn't believe how good of shape it was in. Oh, the price was excellent considering what people are asking for tri5 iron now days. What do ya think?

Attached Files:

2. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Couple more pics.

Attached Files:

3. 4406

from Oklahoma

Very cool. I used a bug bomb once,just clean off the seats and stuff after using the bomb,and leave the windows open in the garage afterwards.

4. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Thanks, for the new paint I'm thinking a gloss black and some shiny 5 spokes.

5. Moondog13

Moondog13

Nice '55! Congrats on your new project! I'm a fan of sedans myself, as for the bug bombs, I have no idea, but I know my Impala needs one. I've killed 3 roaches already! :D

6. Butch M

Butch M

cool love that tuck and roll. black with 5 spokes oh yes.....:D

7. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Yeah, I was surprised at the interior. Back in the 60s and 70s guys used to go to Mexico and get their interiors done like this and diamond tuck. Since this car originally came from the Rio Grande Valley I figured that's probably what happened. Back then you could get it done damn cheap and the work was great. I wouldn't risk taking down there now.

8. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Hard to beat a 55 Chevy. Parts to fix available anywhere, easy to work on and good looking. Never tried a bug bomb my self but cant see why it wouldn't work. It would be worth a try over a new interior. Good luck with your project.

9. yruhot

yruhot

Nice 55, I just picked up a two door hard top that was hit while on a trailer being towed to a driveline shop after recieving a 409 motor and a muncie trans and it was complete. Driver of the truck that drove up on the rear of the trailer was drunk and broke the car loose and jacked knifed my friends truck and trailer across 5 lanes of traffic. Fortunately he's ok, but I ended up with the shell. He kept all the fancy stuff for another project but thats ok. I decided on an old school gasser. Fiberglass front end, 51 chevy straight axle and springs. got a 454 and tb400 lined up. Roof was in pretty bad shape but all glass except for front window survived. Got roof fixed fairly easy. a couple of red neck friends of mine and a back hoe did wonders. I was impressed. I'd like to post some photos but haven't had any luck doing so, so I gave up. Well good luck on your project.

10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Your car reminds me of this blue four door (in the middle) that a guy on here later converted to a 2 door,the third pic shows a diffrent 4 door that been converted.
    There are threads about this conversion if your interested;)
    Dont get me wrong I like four doors, but this would be an option if your one of the guys who would really rather have a two door.
    With over 2000 post you probably have already seen this stuff but anyway.
    Here also is a cool lookin black 4 door belair,I dont care much for the wheels tho.

Attached Files:

11. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Oh and also if you just want to clean it up a bit for now with the patina look, some paint stores can put matching color paint in a spray can if you want to fade those headlight caps back to the same color as the rest of the car.(like I did on my yellow 55)
    That is also all the 4 door conversion guy did on the diffrent color areas after the conversion.
    I went over the surface rust, wet sanding with 180 to knock it off and clean it up a bit (alot) I also went over the new shiny touch up paint, wet sanding with 180 to dull and fade it all together.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  12. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

I've had to "BOMB" the 57 BelAir a few times since it's been sitting in the drive. Big red wasps in the back of the front fender in front of the door and then yellowjackets under the hood, in the roof panel above the rear quarter window, and latest...in the fresh air ducting from headlamp to firewall.
    The 'jackets are persistent and when angry very painful to those they catch.

13. Squablow

Squablow

Looks like a prime candidate for post relocation surgery. The upholstery is nice, I would think you could salvage all of that and swap the front onto a split bench with a little crafty needlework on the center split. Looks solid.

14. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

I like it. I'd build it. But I'm a sucker for a field find. Black 55's are always looking good.

15. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Thanks for all the tips guys! Low budget I can't believe the similiarity to the center picture on your post...almost identical. About the more door conversion, I think I'll stay with the four. I've had a 2 dr 56 and 2dr 55 so this time I think I'll try the four but thanks for the suggestions...that's a bit above my body working skills. Besides, when I pick up all the pretty girls that want to go for a ride, I won't have to hassle with pushing the seat forward and having them crawl over me. Hum, come two think of it...;) ..naw better stick with the four.:)

Oh, forgot to tell you, it still has the original I6 and powerslide. According to the previous owner they both work fine...we'll see. Thanks.

16. str8axle55

str8axle55
    from MA

Nice solid looking metal, my 1st was a 210 4dr, 265/glide. I think they are all green here on the east coast, at least you guy`s got some decent colors to work with stock.

17. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I saw a green 55 stock 4dr yesterday so I know what you mean about the green ones but here on the south Texas (Corpus Christi) you just don't see many old tri 5s, of any color.:) I bug bombed mine yesterday and cleaned out the spider webs (everywhere) in the engine compartment and interior. When I was looking around the engine compartment, I noticed that the car had what I think is an engine warmer on it. Since the car came from the Rio Grande Valley area I was puzzled about that but evidently this car spent sometime in the north country. You just never know what you're going to find when you pick up one of these old cars. When this tropical storm blows by I'm going to start cleaning the upholstery and drag out the seats so we'll see what's underneath them. No snakes I hope! Then we're going to she if she'll turn over and maybe start after that. If you have any suggestions on starting up these old motors that have been sitting around for a while, please chime in and let me know, I'd appreciate it.:D