Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there an easy way to take scratches out of a windshield?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave K, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Dave K

Dave K

Is there an easy way to take scratches out of a windshield?

Thanks for any help

Attached Files:

• 104.JPG
      104.JPG
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
  2. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

Those look bad! What the hell happened? Generally- if you can catch the scratch w/ your nail..........No.
    Eastwood sells a polishing kit for glass. I tried it once- wound up fixing it w/ new glass. ;)

3. Dave K

Dave K

No idea how it happened it was like that when we got the car.

Can not catch my nail on it but I can feel it with my finger.

Really hope there is a cheap way to fix it because it is my 16 year old sons car and he does not have the funds for new one.

4. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

I bought a kit from harbor freight that you use with a drill. As you can probably guess it was worthless.

5. rrayne

rrayne

when you use a polisher to remove the scratches your just removing the lose particals. the scratch will still be seen. There is not a filler for it. Your best bet is to get a new windshield.
    Thats my experience anyway.

6. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

..........................no.............................easier to replace it

7. busch

busch

Try wet sanding start with 1500 than 2000 hit with buffer rubbing compound buff a few times set on it with buffer good luck

8. A friend of mine who has a glass shop told me that he can remove deep scratches but by removing so much material it will cause optical distortion.........for that reason even though it' possible, he won't do it.

9. 8flat

8flat

If you have a lot of time, buffing it will help a lot. I did it once, with Eastwood's glass compound, it was on a rare customer's car and nobody made a windshield for it. You just need a lot of patience, glass is obviously very hard.

I like Busch's idea of starting out with wet-sanding, although I'd bet you need to start with something more course, like 600P. Try this on a scrap piece of glass first to get the right grit that works best.

10. Special Ed

Special Ed

This is a safety issue. Good vision is paramount when driving. The couple of hundred dollars spent on new glass could save your son's life. Please do the right thing...:cool:

11. RodStRace

RodStRace

Not to bag on you, but the title says Is there an easy way and then your reply says Really hope there is a cheap way.
    Gotta say that there are extremely few things that are both easy and cheap in this world.
    Gotta ask I guess, but why do these things always require no money, no skill, little labor and done by tonight?

12. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

It will NOT buff, polish, cleanup, etc.....

Don't waste your time, replace it when you get the Cash.

Good luck.

13. Any suggestions for side glass? The glass I bought for my ford had Cellophane tape on it for a few years and I scraped it off with a razor blade and left scratches...

14. 8flat

8flat

see my post above.

15. Well, since there's no hard way, there sure ain't an easy one. I went through that with a 60 Pontiac I had 5 yrs ago, and a couple "pros" couldn't get out even the finer scratches.....which made me ask.....what CAN you remove? Give it up. Glass is as hard as a whores heart.

16. indyjps

indyjps

Ive buffed minor scratching out with just paint buffing materials. What you have looks like more than that.

17. 8flat

8flat

I can tell you it does work, but only on finer scratches, and it takes FOREVER. I buffed on that windwhield for hours, if not all day.

18. jonly

jonly

that looks like experience in the making to me. when I was young I got caught out in a freeze with no scraper... I used the bottom of a coke can to clear the ice off and it looked pretty much exactly like the OP's windshield afterwards.