Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bullet Bird Chop

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kage, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I have a 1962 T-bird That I am planning to chop soon. I am already planning this chop. I have performed a couple of chops already but never on a roof line like the t-bird. I would love to see some chop in progress pics for one of these bullet birds. I am thinking of about a 4 1/2 inch chop. my self. I have added some pics of some cool chops on theses birds. If you have any more cool pics of these birds chopped please post then..But I would realy like to see some chops in progress on one of these

Attached Files:

2. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I think the best way to do the rear window on these bullet birds would be to lay it forward. It seems to make the rear c-pillar look thinner & gives the over all desighn of the car a more of streamline look. The 2 pics below show the diffrence in the way the back window can be done. which version do you like?

Attached Files:

3. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

It's not a bullet 'Bird, but I'm doing my '59 'Bird. Sunk the windshield into the cowl 2". I had made the top of mine removable before, and am still trying to decide what to do with the rear window/back of the top. I don't care for the heavy C pillar, which looks even thicker chopped. I think I'll lay the rear window foward, like you are thinking of doing with yours. James D did a nice photo chop for me here showing some different top treatments.

4 1/2" seems like a lot, they look squashed to my eye with a heavy chop like that. The black one you picture looks like the C pillar is left alone, while the red one has the window leaned forward?

Brian

4. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I agree with you brian about the squashed look..i ment to put 3 1/2 inch chop..not 4 1/2. And i totaly agree with you about the heavier c pillar look when you chop these cars. I think that leaning the rear window forward is the best way to go. 1 of the things I am not sure about is how to redo the vent windows..I have never had to mess with them before.

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

agreed: chop the top, then section the C pillar and sink at the top/lay the rear window forward? (break up the C pillar mass)

6. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

thanks for the links Abe Lugo. those are some cool birds. I dont think the purple one has been chopped..if it has it was only an inch.

Attached Files:

7. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I would still like to see some chops in progress of one of these cars. old or new pics dont matter. thanks guys.

8. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I found a few pics of a a chop in progress but they are after the chop was done & before being painted. Looking at the pics confirmed something I was thinking..because of the shape of the rear window, when you lay it forward you have to sink the outer corners into the body..I guess you could have the bottom tips of the glass cut.

Attached Files:

9. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Here are a couple of cool concepts I found.

Attached Files:

10. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

and I found these pics to...this is just one weird bird..lol

Attached Files:

11. Here´s a photochop I did a while back. I think it´s a mistake to try to lean the rear window forwards very much. I added stainless cladding to the sides to match the front bumper.

[​IMG]

12. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Cool car, I always thought that car would look cool with a chopped Starliner top

13. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I like the paint scheme you came up with on this one. I am planning on going with one of the hot rod flatz colors for. But my opinion is it looks better to lay the rear window forward more & thin out the look of the c pillars

14. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Wide whites would look better on the car as well..but thats just my opinion.

15. daddy-o63

daddy-o63

too new for wide whites imho.
    pinner whites suit it perfectly.
    gonna be ultra cool thats for sure.

16. Well it´s your choice. I think the most important thing is not to over-do the chop. Less is really more.:)

17. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

I think the chop on this bird is perfect. I think its 3 or 3 1/2 inches.

Attached Files:

• 0980.jpg
      0980.jpg
      File size:
      349.6 KB
      Views:
  18. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Im still hopeing someone post some pics of a chop in progress of one of these birds. If I have to be the 1st to post pics of a chop in progress on my bird then everyone will have to wait a few months on those photos..part of the down side to being in the army..currently my tbird is in TN & im in TX...I tell you what...It realy sucks not haveing anything to work on at the moment.

19. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Here's mine as it sets. Haven't touched it since this spring (other projects) when I started sinking the w/s, but you get the idea. I agree with James D, less is more with the top chop on these things. Just enough to make people scratch their heads and think "What's different about this?"

Brian

Attached Files:

20. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I would say it looks best to move the rear window forward to match the original roof profile, and extend the deck area between the trunklid and roof. This would probably involve custom glass or using something from another car. As much as I like that red one (did Oz do it?) I think the angle of the rear window is too severe for my taste. Good luck with it man, I really like those '61-63s!

21. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

flyingbrian48..I just went & read your thread about sinking your windshield. great thread man. I had an interesting though..I wonder if anyone has ever laid the front windshield back instead of cutting the glass or sinking it...just a thought..lol

22. oz kustoms

oz kustoms

thanks man...and you are close it 3 in the front and 4 in the rear,,,,,,,hope that helps,,,,,,Oz

23. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

Shouldn't the great and powerful Mr. Oz be given honourary 'Master of HAMB' status, in spite of his post count? Your work, sir is impeccable and inspiring.

24. nocoastsaint

nocoastsaint

That being said, I have always thought the Square and Bullet Birds would look good with a clean chop and the fins removed.

25. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

i completely agree with you except about the fins..im kind of partial to them..lol

26. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

Thanks for the info OZ..I realy do love the work you did on that 63. Do you have any progress pics of the chop you could post on here?

27. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

oz...did you cut the front windshield or did you recess the windshield?

28. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

The in progress pics you posted are of OZ's 63. It's the candy tangerine one in the previous posts. Hands down the best bullet bird chop ever, but no suprise really when you know who did it.

29. Kage

Kage
    from Delano, TN

yeah i know its the same car..but in the pics i posted the chop has already been completed and they are doing body work..i am wanting to see pics of him actually doing the chop..It would help me plan my chop.