Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new 53 Chevy "Driver"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by r.s.s., Jun 24, 2010.

1. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

Well I decided that it was time to get a set of wheels to get around on the weekend. I found a 53 Chev 150 2 door for a price that I could not pass up. it made the mayden voyage home (250 miles) and now it's not running :mad:. Was trying to back into a parking stall and it just stalled. Now it won't burp, fart nothing. does anyone know what the resistance should be on a 6 volt coil (no external resistor)? also how do I go about testing the condenser? would really like to get her up and running. I'm going to do a 12 volt conversion on it within the next month but untill I receive all the parts to complete the job I'd like to have her mobile. on to the pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. Hubbcat

Hubbcat
    from Sweden

Check the points.
    old chevys newer dies.

3. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

I think I'm gonna replace the points and condenser and go from there. Before she died it was running like it was out of gas (still 3/4 of a tank) and it has a new fuel filter and the tank is clean. Hopefully thats all she needs.

4. Angliaguy

Angliaguy

Get a Pertronix kit and convert the distributor to Electronic.No more points
    problems.

5. Century

Century

Nice find, where did you pick it up? I'm from Ontario as well.

6. That's a good driver. I'm surprised how many people are from Ontario

7. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

I drove her home to Mississauga from Ottawa. I'm kinda considering getting the HEI dizzy from Langdons Stovebolt once I convert her to 12 volt. Oh and I have her running again. it was just the points.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  8. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

Quick little update. Rebel wire harness mounted. :) Next is tracing the column wiring and get the front section wiring into the engine bay.

Attached Files:

9. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

Well I've got her all rewired. Took a lot longer than I though especially when just working on weekends. I have an issue with the horn wire though. I cant find it! anyone know which one it is? I belive there is a total of 8 wires comming out of the column and I've terminated them all, but I still have the horn to hook up. Is it possible that the hore wire is "shared"? also if need be I could run a new wire but how is the horn button/ring held on? And help and or insight is appreciated.

10. lorax54

lorax54
    from Denton, TX

Isn't the horn button hooked to the ground end of the circuit? 12v into horn, out to button and then to ground?

11. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

The horn is activated by ground. When you push on the button it grounds in the steering column, but there needs to be a wire somewhere to terminate too. I just can't see one.

12. big bad john

big bad john

Nice coooooooooooooooool car.....enjoy the ride...Big Bad John:D

13. Slapnuts1975

Slapnuts1975
    from Tennessee

The wire runs all the way through the steering shaft out into the engine compartment. At least thats how 53 fords are done. Should be the same.

14. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

Hmm I'll have a look and report back. Thanks

15. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Yes, it dies come out of the steering column near the steering box in the engine compartment near the driver side frame rail.

16. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I love your new daily - need more pics !

17. dimebag

dimebag
    from Joliet, il

wow the mess of brand new Rebel Wires looks like my car!! We have been wiring that thing for 3 days now, but at least tomorrow it is final little touches and trouble shooting....car looks great!!

18. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

Thanks Guy's here are a few more pics. She isn't perfect but she's plenty good as a driver till I get my 37 done.

On another note, I bolted the seat back in and took her for a run around the block. she starts up fine and idles well, but when I try to drive it it keeps jerking (kinda like you are poping the clutch) unless you ease the throtle very slowly :confused:. I ended up putting the pertronics kit in which helped alot with the rough idle i was experiencing with the points ignition (durring the 12V conversion). But this "stumbling" is something thats got me scratching my head. I think I will change the fuel filter and see if that helps any.

Any Thooughts?

Attached Files:

19. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

Up for the afternoon crowd. Oh and it's a 235 with a 3spd on the tree. Any recomendations/thoughts?

20. Butcher's Shop Customs

Butcher's Shop Customs
    from Paducah KY

SBC and a t-5 or TH 700...:cool:

Think how cool an early 327 with three duces would look under there!

21. Big T

Big T
    from Florida

Accelerator pump functioning correctly?

22. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I had a car that exibited those symptoms, and bad plug wires were the culprit.

23. Ocean56

Ocean56
    from Michigan

With gas prices the way they are, i'd stick with the ol' stovebolt 3-on-the-tree!

24. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

The car looks great !

25. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

would love to through a v8 under the hood but until I get my 37 done i don't really want to do much to the ole girl other than getting her running tip top and a possible 3" drop.

Big T. I'll have to check to see if it functioning properly. for some reason I have a feeling that it is some sort of a fuel issue.

HEATHEN, I'll definitely look into this. The plug wires look very new, however looks can be very deceiving.

26. H3O

H3O

lower it, throw on some headers and straight pipes are awesome on those motors. add a twin carb setup be just fine and much cooler than a v8. keepin the six will continue having decent mileage and still be reliable.

like what your teacher always said, "STAY INLINE!!!"

27. r.s.s.

r.s.s.
    from Alberta

ha ha. Yeah I like the inliner, thats what she'll be running for quite a while. I got her running much better too. Turns out it was a combination of a bunch of gunk in the fuel filter and a bad vapor lock. once that was addressed she ran like a champ.

28. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

Beautiful car man... you give me hope that one day mine may look just as good. That or run at least. Enjoy er man she is a real beauty.

29. 54 Chevy

54 Chevy

You might want to clean out the carb. If the fuel filter was causing the stumbling than the carb may be full of crap. You may want to keep another fuel filter with you. My 54 had this problem and it turned out the tank was rusted. We took it to a radiator shop that cleans gas tanks and had it sealed and it is still working 24 years later. I am thinking about changing it to a poly tank though.