Register now to get rid of these ads!

Idea for a crazy build...? Old Chevy Suburban + COE Hood + FWD Diesel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DaMeat, Aug 31, 2010.

1. DaMeat

DaMeat
    from NL

Ok, I want to build a family camper. I'm thinking of a 47-54 chevy suburban, and put on a COE hood. Then I want to install a FWD TDI from a Euro VW Van. I'm thinking 35mpg, 200HP + gobs of torque, and a real different looking vehicle!

My question is, how much clearance between the firewall and the hood does a Chevy COE have? A couple feet or is it real close to the firewall? Will the hood mostly bolt up, minus a little modification by the side vents? Anyone have any ideas on fenders? I don't want the height any higher than a stock Suburban height!

What I want is a Suburban minus about 3 feet of hood and bumpers! That way I can park it here in Europe, but it will still be a great vehicle for in the US!!

2. Ratroddude

Ratroddude
    BANNED

A classic case of "just because it may well be able to be done , doesnt mean that it should be done" saounds like a total abomination of some good vehicles to me , just my honest opinion , hope you take no offense...

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The COE hood is quite short but is also very TALL.........and in COE applications the fenders/wheels are partially UNDER the cab, which itself is raised from the normal position. The space under the hood of a COE is very limited, horizontally, and the engine was rountinely serviced by removing the floor boards. That's why it is called a COE (Cab Over Engine).You really need to get some photos from the internet of COE's and study the proportions before getting too enthused.

Ray

4. belair

belair

put the welder down....

5. OliverBUILT Big - D

OliverBUILT Big - D
    from Ankeny, IA

Need some pics to get the creativity flowing

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just do what you want to do to the suburban. If it's too long you'd be better served taking 6-8" out of the wheelbase vs trying to "cab over" the thing. Just my opinion. In theory it may seem feasable but...

7. moparron426

moparron426

I think he wants to do something like this ford COE but with a 47-54 chevy, I think its a great Idea, I have plans to do the same thing with a 47 dodge panal truck:D:cool:

You would have to use the whole COE style frontend on the suburban to make it work. Ron...:cool:

Attached Files:

8. 52pig

52pig

Just paint the Euro-van flat black and call it a day...

9. OliverBUILT Big - D

OliverBUILT Big - D
    from Ankeny, IA

That would be a fun project

10. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

11. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Fiat Ducato Diesel !!!

12. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

A lot of the metal from the cowl / doors is the same as a COE. Seems like you could get a COE chevy truck from that era and install a Burb body on the frame. I don't know what the hell a FWD TDI from a Euro van is, but it sounds gay. I'd go Cummins Turbo diesel or something nice.

13. roddinron

roddinron

[[​IMG]]
    Man, I love that thing!

14. moparron426

moparron426

or a COE bus or this other coe camper

Attached Files:

15. I thought I'd have to go thru some real old photo's but the HAMB always comes thru.

I've seen several, my favorite had a front wheel drive ELDO and was low as shit. probably could adapt a GM diesel to a Eldo front drive. the caddies had over 500 lbs of torque so the trans should stand the diesel torque

16. Since you are in Europe I see no issue with the TDI. Be a fun family camper.

17. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

That sir is funny.

When watching the Tour de France I'm always looking to the sides of the road where people are camping, you've got great vehicles over there, don't reinvent the wheel, use 50's pattern curtains and call it a day.

18. DaMeat

DaMeat
    from NL

I want something VERY similar to the ford above... but I want the motor outside (Not some engine box thing in the middle of the vehicle...). Almost all the OLD campers, the motor is IN the vehicle with you. Gee, wonder why they always smell of old oil and moldy leaves...?! I like the smell when I'm working on my vehicle, just not sleeping in it. And sorry, new vehicles have no class...
    Moparron426, let me know if you start your vehicle... I have no problem with a Dodge as well, I just read the Chevy's have the same cabs so I thought easier to adapt the hood... but if there's no clearance, kind of shoots the idea down for me... :-(

And I'll NEVER put the welder down...!!!

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  19. moparron426

moparron426

The engine in that ford is up front but it still needs a inside cover to get to the engine.
    I don't think it could be done with just a COE hood, I think you will need the COE front clip and then you would have to modify the fronts of the doors and it might set pretty high too,

here is an interior shot of the ford... and a few other pics, can you tell I like this truck:D:cool: Ron.....

Attached Files:

20. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

seems like I just saw a 47-54 coe+suburban body+ramp truck in some show coverage somewhere, wish I had saved a pic.

21. Here's a concept by inkmunky that I borrowed from another thread. Shows the mods to a standard 1/2 ton body to make it look like a COE cab.

Steve

Attached Files:

22. 12905

How about considering the front end of a GM Astro van?

23. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

this is not the one I was thinking of, but kinda helps with the visualization...

Attached Files:

24. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

25. moparron426

moparron426

found 1 more picture for you

Attached Files:

26. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

Just build a 50 suburban with a duramax and allison trans in it... put it on airbags... wide whites and steelies..... lake pipes...big ones.... and drag an airstream or other vintage trailer...

27. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The guy lives in the Netherlands...........that's Europe.! May not be a lot of salvage yards with Duramax and Allisons........and even if there were, the cost of running one there..................

Ray

28. mike1951

mike1951
    from Colorado

good point, I was playing out my automotive fantasy on his build

29. Yah, but they probably have twin OHC, side-draft, 5 cylinder, 6 speed, Getrag, EFI, dual plug Thingamajiggies there...........:D

30. geoking

geoking

" can you tell I like this truck:D:cool: Ron..."

Ron,
    Can you share any more about the build of this Gorgeous Truck?
    Thanks,
    George