Register now to get rid of these ads!

Little Help Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by OldSkoolIronJunkie, Aug 31, 2010.

1. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

I am sure that this has been asked before but... I have not been able to find anything with the search function. Any hoo hear is my question. Do I need to cut the firewall on a 1950 Chevrolet Deluxe to make a big block Chevy fit in the firewall?

Thank you for any help guys.

2. if it has the pieces that are at right angles to the firewall i think they come off the body mounts id say those need to be cut and prolly reboxed are you gonna sub frame the car? if so i would think that would be all the firewall cutting required ,

but im not sure as i havent done this swap

3. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

I am thinking of doing a mid eighty's Cutlass or Monte Carlo sub fame, down the road. For right now I am just trying to figure out what all needs to be done. I have a long ways to go. I got the car earlier this summer but have had only three days to actually work on it.

Thank you for the info. I will let you know what I find out as I go.

4. rrayne

rrayne

I would cut it. The engine needs to set back further than the firewall will allow. You do not want your engine riding to far forward over the front wheels. Also you dont want the radiator area cramped. You are going to need room for the dist. in the back as well.

The indention where the original area for the six set in the center of the firewall can be split to make room for the big block. And it looks factory as well. The big block is not longer than the 6. Just set up different and needs the room for adjusting the dist.

Further back the engine sets better the ride as well.

5. colorado51

colorado51

My old 51 Coupe had a 454 with no firewall modifications. However, I did have to mount the radiator on the front of the support rather than behind.

6. OldSkoolIronJunkie

OldSkoolIronJunkie

Thanks that is good to know. I really appreciate the info guys.

7. Allk you need to do is trim off the firewall braces. Dont worry, they are not structural, they actually aided on the assembly line.