Register now to get rid of these ads!

'53 Nash Rambler conversion, suggestions?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tjenns, Aug 29, 2010.

1. tjenns

tjenns

Just acquired a '53 Nash Rambler 2 door and looking to do some "modifications" (engine conversion). Any suggestions?

2. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

try searching the hamb, I think somebody built one with a Ferrari engine and suspension, no kidding. I'll bet your neighbors are thrilled.

3. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Packard 374 V8 with dual range hydramatic! If you don't do it, I will.

Update: Got my 55 Nash Rambler with hydramatic, and have the Packard 374 now. Soon the project starts!!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013

4. grf-x

grf-x

Not really sure about mechanicals and drive train. BUt them wise... how about a surf rod?

5. theres a couple nash builds on here do a search you will be pleasantly surprised

6. tjenns

tjenns

Since the engine bay is so narrow and I really didn't want to hack into the wheel wells or firewall, I was thinking of 3 options that might fit. The AMC/Jeep I-6 4.0 liter, the Olds Quad 4 2.3 liter or the Ford 2.3 Turbo. If I used any of these setup's, which rear end would be the best choice for that car? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

7. Think a narrow one, like a 2WD minitruck.. Ranger maybe.

8. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

I think you hit on a great idea with the turbo four Ford motor from the super coupes. Should fit nicely.

9. tjenns

tjenns

Would I use the rear end from the Ranger or the Turbo Thunderbird? Or are they the same?

10. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

8" Ford Maverick 5 lug rear is the right width..I've heard the s-10 as well but never saw one done in person..

The quad 4 could be pricey...I know I have one in a Rambler but it will fit without cutting the inner fenders..you will have to notch the firewall a minor amount to clear the water neck which will be at the rear of the engine. If you go that route find an engine that has EVERYTHING on it..the odd stuff you will need is sometimes hard to find or a pain to pull off a parts car if the motor is still in it. Look at the pics on my build..the motor fits but you cannot move the motor any more toward the front..there is just enough clearance from the front of the oil pan to the steering. Everything is metric too...fun huh:)

I believe you must trim the hump off the drivers inner fender on the 2.3 Ford..I do believe that the 2.3 Ford would be a much easier motor as far as finding parts and cost...a turbo motor would be cool.

Dont know anything about the 4.0????

Have fun!

11. tjenns

tjenns

Yeah, I saw your Rambler and that was what inspired me to do a conversion, also where I got the idea for the Quad 4. Awesome job by the way! There were a couple guys in Oregon that were going to put a Jeep 4 liter straight six into a '54 but I don't know if they actually got around to it. No response from email. I went out to the junkyard and measured the Jeep block and it seems a bit long, so I might have to cut into the firewall if I went that route. Of the 3 choices, I'm leaning toward the Ford 2.3 turbo. I think it will fit better and as you said, parts would be more readily available.

12. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

Yeah the Ford has parts everywhere! I saw a 60 wagon with a Ford turbo motor in it and it fit pretty good..again, I do think he had to trim some but cant recall exactly what..The cool thing is the Ford has alot of speed parts readily available and even cool stuff comes up on Ebay all the time. The Q4 is not that way...We had a Falcon once with the turbo 2.3 and a 5 speed and it was fun..not really fast but fun.
    I can tell you to make sure the overall length of the engine..the big problem is the front drag link..theres not alot of distance between the firewall and that. I think I have maybe an inch on the Q4.
    You will have fab the crossmember for the engine and the trans as well as mounts. The driveshaft needs to be made..theres quite bit to do to convert. Are you doing this yourself? My buddy Mike works on thi stuff for a living so if if your looking for someone to do the work hes close..and we've already tore apart 2 of these Ramblers so far.:rolleyes:
    You can pm me..also look up Gasser55 on the HAMB and thats Mike.

13. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

How much bigger is a Rambler like this than a Metropolitan? I'm sure it's wider, no?

14. tjenns

tjenns

Ramzoom (sorry don't know your name..haha),
    I wish I could do all the work myself, but my welding skills are not up to par. I am mostly a car design guy, think Chip Foose without the welding skills. I can do all the cutting and grinding but welding is on my list of "things to learn". So I will have to bring someone in to fabricate and/or weld the mounts and crossmember or other parts (at a reasonable price of course). Where does your buddy Mike live? Are there also any alterations to the Ford 8" rear in order to make it fit?

15. tjenns

tjenns

The Metropolitan had an 85" wheelbase and the Rambler was at 100". The Rambler 2 door is basically the next step up from the Metropolitan with back seats.

16. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Yeah, but is it wider? Thats what sucks working on our Met is the narrow width.

17. the maverick 8 inch rears are 56" from WMS-WMS. i picked one up for the wifes rambler american. But i dont know how easy you will find one the other ones that are close are the rears from the ford exploders

18. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

Very fun ride and should be very cool when you finish.

Again, think "simple" 'cause these little guys don't need too much to look great. Both the Quad 4 & the Ford Turbo would be good sound choices for the limited room that you have in that engine bay.

PLUS, the '53's are a little cooler to begin with due to the slight "fin" on the rear quarters that wasn't on the early models like the '50.

Best of luck !

Jonnie King www.legends.thewwbc.net

19. A 289/302 fits without hacking the fender wells.

20. tjenns

tjenns

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  21. tjenns

tjenns

I'm tracking a rear end down right now. I'll have to check out the exploder rear also. Any idea on it's WMS-WMS?

22. tjenns

tjenns

Thanks Jonnie! I agree the early 50's Ramblers look great, with the "flying lady" hood ornament and Pinin Farina styling, it was definitely not your "normal" looking 50's car. From what I've heard they used to call it the Cadillac of Kenosha. Very reminiscent of the Cadillac's at that time. I am still tossing around the idea of painting it black or a gun metal gray with a red interior. I might drop it a couple inches too.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  23. jeepman

jeepman
    from az

if the drivetrain is ok, just cruise to the shows with it as is. it is different enough to be cool. my dad bought one new in '53, would like to find one to restore someday

24. I used to have this as my daily...51 Rambler...2litre injected Pinto with 5 speed, stock front and rear suspensions/axle and stock drums. ran great, the brakes were a bit iffy at times but apparently the front hubs can take later AMC discs....don't make work for yourself by swapping out axles...small ish 4 pot engine, front brakes, drop it in the weeds, go drive it[​IMG][​IMG]

25. ramzoom

ramzoom
    from California

He has a place in La Verne..The 8" Maverick requires relocation of the spring perches...

26. tjenns

tjenns

The purpose of the conversion is to be able to take the car on roadtrips as well as car shows. I don't think the original flat 6 will be able to keep up with freeway speeds. I also don't want a car that needs constant engine maintenance. The parts will be more readily available for the Ford engine vs. original in case I'm stuck on the side of the road. I don't want to go into an auto parts store and ask them if they have a starter for a '53 Nash. I think the teenager behind the counter would look at me with that blank stare and ask me what a Nash was. I've been there, done that with my MG. "Don't you mean GM?" I've upgraded the engine on the MG with a 5 speed tranny and many other goodies, but I still look back and wonder how cool a v8 would've been in that car. I don't want to look back and think, how cool would a 2.3 turbo be in the Nash.

27. tjenns

tjenns

PM me his info and I'll give him a call when I get everything together for the car. Thanks!

28. v8packard

v8packard
    from IL

I like the idea of a 374, not so sure about a Hydro... Only one problem, it sure isn't narrow.

29. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Yeah it is a wide engine, but I like the old classic engines, and the hydro will hold up just fine, and BTW, the Rambler came with hydramatic, so a simple adapter plate would work. I will find a way of cramming the big engine in a small compartment. Might have to replace the front suspension with a bolt on A-frame, but getting older gets me more wiser on how to do the swap so that the car is visibly very well done.