Register now to get rid of these ads!

Funny DMV stories?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty gallons, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

when i registered my car, i kinda got a kick outta it. I got the only lady in the world that thought it was neat that i had bought such an old car. The title i used didnt have a clear vin, so she looks at me and says "what do you think the vin is?"

I look at the title and point at some number and she looks at me and says "looks good enough to me!" I think she pulled some strings cause i got outta there for under $100 bucks. !

I also just got my YOM plate for my car. I walk in the door and stand there for like 5 min, and the lady behind the desk with the door closed says " do you have the title?"
    i say "not on me"

she says "might wanna go get it, and when you come back, just come right to my window"

So i go home, grab the title, come back, and am litteraly in and out of the dmv in 10 min with my new registration and registered YOM plate.

Maybey im just luckey.

volvobrynk likes this.
  2. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Yep....no funny stories here. I tried to license a 64 Fairlane once and they told me that I'd have to pay school taxes and tag fees for every year since it was last registered...which was 1976. I got pissed and went back the next day....they gave me tags with no problems.

3. there is NOTHING funny about the DMV

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No funny stories for me either but I ended up in a situation like 64Cyclone did when I got out of the Army and got married and moved to Texas in 1969. The plates on my then new 69 Olds Cutlass were 84.60 here in Wa. Plates in Texas at the time were 10.00 or so because the car was under 3500 lbs. I thought I had cut a real fat hog there.
    Then comes the school tax bill from the local school district for personal property for 20 something, along with the county tax bill and the city personal tax bill making the total of the taxes on the car more than the full fees for the Washington tabs.

I usually drive 30 miles to have one gal do my transfers at her independent office simply because in the 30 years that she has been doing them for me there has never been a hassle or question. She tends to get it right every time and knows who to call in Olympia if there is an issue.

5. perk30

perk30

Had my car run through an "enhanced inspection" on 4-20-10 Cost 117.70. This was required in order to get a street rod registration which is the only way to run w/o fenders hood etc in Pa. Passed the enhanced inspection went to notary to send paper work along with pictures of the car to Harrisburg to have title changed to "Modified Vehicle" and get my streetrod plate. Cost another $117.50 Three weeks later I get a call from the notay telling me they failed my car because I had blue dot tail lights. This should have been caught during the enhanced inspection. Ordered regular lenses for the car, took new pictures and had them sent to Harrisburg. New title was issued on 5-26-10 received it in the mail afew days later. Waited a week still no plate. Called Harrisburg to find out why and was told they just failed to issue the plate it would be taken care of. Couple weeks later still no plate called Harrisburg was told it still wasn't issued. Talked to supervisor , told there must be some irregularity in the paperwork he would get back to me in a couple of days. Three days later get a call from the investigator who tells me the paper work sent by the notary hadn't indicated that a street rod plate be issued and that I needed to send $6.00 because they had put my registration on my old plate and now needed to transfer it to the street rod plate. Sent $6.00 to Harrisburg and received my street rod plate yesterday 7-3-10 Now I have to got to a regular inspection station to have a regular state inspection which will cost me another $30.00. Yeah nothing funny about dealing with the DMV.:mad:

6. When I got back from 'Nam in '68 I had to go the the Burlingame, Ca, D.M.V to get my stateside liciense. It was raining like a S.O.B. (have you ever seen the rain, comeing down in Burlingame?) The driveing test guy was about 6' 6' and 260 lbs. I was driving my girlfriends '62 bug eye Sprite, with the top up! The test guy looked at the Sprite, the rain and then me (5' 7") and sed, "drive it around the parking lot without hitting anything, and you got your liciense! I did, he gave it to me, and he never got a drop of rain on him. On th same note,,,,I bought a brand new '68 Datsun p/u thru the credit union at Lockheed when I was working there. The credit union gave me a $175.00 personal loan for the down payment, and financed the rest of the truck ($1750.00) Two months later when I quit Lockheed I had to check out with the disbursing office to get my final paycheck. The gal behind the counter told me I would have to pay off the personel loan, and then continue to make payments on the truck. She handed me the receipt for the payment of the personal loan.........AND the pink slip to the truck......I was gone as fast as that little Datsun truck could go! Never have heard anything from them about iot! Oh well, If ya snooze, Ya loose! Crow

volvobrynk likes this.
  7. rustdodger

rustdodger

I had a '66 Checker Marathon that came with the origional plates in the trunk. I even had an old registration with the liscence number of the plates to match the car. I was told that the plates were '67 plates and that I couldn't use them on my'66 model year( I guess the origional plates weren't correct!).

8. OldoginMd

OldoginMd

I stopped going to DMV years ago here in Maryland ...I go to a title service , it cost $20.00 and well worth it !!! The DMV takes the position that the service would not present a fraudulent transaction ... I use a CPA for the same reason

9. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

No kidding, when I got my 66 Riviera registered last week, I accidentally forgot my bill of sale, I know that's my fault, but the lady (?) was a real cunt, she told me the second I walk out the door I can't come back with it and finish the process.

She stamped my title, "Open Title, needs bill of sale" and then she gives me a blank bill of sale with the seller's name, VIN etc on it and says "You have to have THIS form filled, you can't bring your original one in." The seller's 90 miles away, but this bitch wasn't having any of it.

Anyway I had the ebayer scan me a copy of the BOS, I printed it and took it to another DMV office where the nice lady did the paperwork no questions asked.

There's no statute to support what the first DMV employee was doing, she was merely being powerful, a thing gov't employees like to do.

10. NM Sandrail

NM Sandrail
    Member Emeritus

Gosh....my jaws are still tight over Missouri DMV... Been trying for several years to get a title to my fiancee's RX7, which sits in my yard here.. She passed away in 2005 and left the car to her daughter who gave it to me..

Case #1 ...went to DMV Office at Ozark, MO Courthouse, where the lady insisted twice that we needed to bring in the owner (deceased) before they could give us a new replacement title.. Even after telling her that the owner was deceased, again she insisted we bring in the owner.. GGGGRRrrrr!:mad:

Case #2... Found a Missouri DMV form online that allows one to recieve a car, from a deceased owner after death... Tried that with notary and all. DMV in Springfield, says, Oh, yes, but this works only if recipent is a minor.. Daughter was a licensed Missouri driver but 30 years old. I run this whole event by my local New Mexico DMV lady and she said, this is crazy, they will give it to a 9 year old that can't drive, but not to a licensed adult. New Mexico has the same process, but NO age BS.. More GGrrrrr!:mad:

Been so frustrated over Missouri DMVs that I haven't tried working this for a while now. My NM DMV lady suggested that I need to try working this through Santa Fe, as Missouri is NUTS!

Yep... real funny times at the DMV...duane (NM Sandrail)

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No funny stories about dealing with the counter people. Now the person giving you your driven test maybe. This women passed me with no errors even though I drove an automatic car with both feet and didn't but my seatbelt on (I forgot). Told myself im not passing but didn't want to bring attention to myself by saying anything to her while driveing. It worked.

12. big bad john

big bad john

DMV says it all...........

13. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

the only thing funny about the dmv is that people still go there, i thank god daily for the day i started using my registration service and would never go back

14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Department of Motor Vegetables?

I have taken a number and waited, only to be told that what I wanted to do was illegal, and that I should be arrested, taken another number and waited, and gone right through.

I will use a service from now own. DMV hours are hours that I could get paid for.

15. mrputz1

mrputz1
    from saratoga

The DMV in Calif is the worst place you can go to get a title for a replica car Best thing is find a police officer who is sympatic . Use an orig frame thats stamped . The people at the DMV love to give the public a hard time because ARNOLD gives them friday off with no pay.

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. f100kid

f100kid
    from So-Cal

so there i was, standing in line. . .

but seriously, there are no real "funny" dmv stories.

17. TheBurnoutsCarClub

TheBurnoutsCarClub
    BANNED
    from US

On a frame-up build, I was given an assigned VIN by the DMV. The guy comes out to my car with a portable BLOWTORCH; says he has to heat the metal to burn the contaminants off it before applying the sticker! I almost knocked him to the ground...

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

In Florida its an areastable offense if you don't change your license within 10th days of moving. You have to have your social security card, original birth certificate, two pieces of mail with your new address. I just moved a month ago and every damb time I go the stupid assess telk me I need a letter without the change of address stickerthats all bullshit because your mail will have that for about a month and a half. Oh and I am a cop in the same city and better than that so is het son. Long story short DMV is not funny..

19. I agree... volunteer nothing when you do go there and have everything that you need. The Babylon Village DMV was the worse, wood floors totally devoid of finish, had those high counters and you had to be 95 or older to work there, wearing coke bottle bottom glasses and at least deaf in both ears.

I had a car that I wanted to register, the registration was signed to someone else, but I had a bill of sale signed by all parties. Well... that didn't fly in Babylon. Short of being arrested for manslaughter, I left.

Now what? A buddy tells me they have a DMV office in Bay Shore.. I say WHAT??? Yup, brand new, just opened. So I go there the next morning first thing. The place is spotless and everyone behind the counter is young and smiling. I present my pile of paperwork and I'm out of there all registered & legal in 5 minutes.

Bob

20. butch27

butch27

My buddy: still dressed in his Ford coveralls on Friday afternoon tried to pay $52. for plates with a hundred dollar bill. They had no change. Went to the bank; got $52. in nickles in his large pockets. Struggled into the DMV and dumped the nickles on the counter. They were pissed BUT had to take them.

volvobrynk likes this.
  21. wsdad

wsdad

Maybe we should let them take over healthcare too?

22. BISHOP

BISHOP

My brother got his license renewed, and in his picture he had half a mustache and one eyebrow.

He shaved it that way. It looked wack.

23. Beau

Beau

I went to the DMV last Summer to register the IH...

...I was in and out in less than 3 minutes.

How is that for a funny DMV story? :D

24. OldsRanch

OldsRanch

This isnt DMV, but drivers license:

Co-worker comes back from lunch one day last week, totally pissed. He said he went to get his license renewed.

It all went fine until he went to leave. He noticed that they typo'd his birthdate. He goes back to the counter, lady bitchingly tells him he needs to bring back his birth certificate to get it fixed.

His reply was classic:

"You didnt need my birth certificate to fuck it up, did you!"

volvobrynk likes this.
  25. chrisbob12

chrisbob12

Bishop's DMV story about 1/2 shaved is the best one in all the stories I read today.

Good story.

26. Road tests.. a rite of passage. I took mine in a borrowed '70 Maverick on a blazing hot July day and the thing (with an automatic...) must have stalled on me 6 times. I thought I was finished but passed.

My neighbor took hers in Babylon Village in 1969 or so in a driving school car. She manages to side swipe 7 parked cars, did not pass.

My brother took his 3x before he passed, 2 failures were named as "dangerous action", one time someone cut him off turning in front of him, the other was someone pulling out when he tried to parallel park next to their car.

A good friend of mine and full-flegded lunatic, the examiner cut his short only after a few maneuvers, did not pass.

My sister flunked her road test 5x, had many professional driver school lessons and they went with her to 5 road tests. I was on workmans comp that summer, went to the beach all morning and drank & smoked everything in sight, then would come home to give her driving lessons. After a few weeks, she took her road test and passed.

Bob

27. JD Miller

JD Miller

Years ago at a Calif DMV the female clerk behind the counter was eating a bag of marjrauana while she waited on people

28. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

Only two:
    In the early 70's ,I was getting my motorcycle license. All I had to ride at the time was my Yamaha dirt/street bike. I take the written test OK--then I go to the driving test: in Ca., they had a long double line,then a circle: you hade to keep your tires in between the double lines,circle,too.
    Just to be an ass, I did a Speedway slide around the circle--front tire in between the lines! The test guy was impressed,and had a few people from inside come out and made me do it again! After I'm done, he says do it right ,or no license! I got the license.
    A couple years later, I'm a smog inspection mechanic. and I got to license my van.Lady at the counter looks at my paperwork ,and chews my ass out, he says you just can't fill out a smog cert--you have to have a SMOG GUY do it! I said "I AM the SMOG GUY!" I HAD to bring my smog license in to prove it,and I got into a big fight with the office manager ,cause I said they should pay for my time--you know how far THAT got me!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  29. dirtybirdpunk

dirtybirdpunk

Long story short, Trying to get YOM for my car, lady at the counter said the form I had just downloaded off their site must be out of date because she had never seen it before, she waddled off to get the more up to date form, from the back. The form she returned with was date stamped v1 2002 in the lower left corner, my was date stamped v4 2009. So I think my was more current....but she did not see it that way....

30. When I moved to WA state in '87 from NDakota, I took almost a year before I took my written, then behind the wheel test for my WA license. I still was driving my first car, a '64 Impala convertible. It was about that time that the heater core had started to fail. I'd never experienced it before, so I was unsure why the car would fill up with water vapor and antifreeze smell. Part ways through my driving test, I asked the tester if I may pull over and wipe down the windows so I could see out. It was embarassing, but I passed.