Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm ready to eat a bullet!!! Motor problem **UPDATE**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tugmaster, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Please bare with me I just need a shoulder to cry on!!
    So this past weekend I installed my Offy dual carb manifold along with the carbs I got from Langdons. After getting the linkage adjusted to my liking and everything hooked up I fired it up. It started fine and ran for a few seconds and then BANG, BANG, BANG from inside the motor. I immetietly shut it down. It only made the noise for a few seconds. So I pull my plugs and on the #2 plug the tang is pushed tight onto the electrode. But it's not all smashed or chewed up. I pulled the rest of the plugs and they were fine. I get a small magnet and go fishing around the cylinders and find nothing and feel nothing either. Some how during the manifold swap something got inside and got sucked in, either in the intake or one of the carbs. So I guess it's time to pull the head and see what is going on. Whatever it is, is either out or non metalic OR imbedded in the top of my piston. To say I want to puke is a understatement. I am always careful when working arund open stuff. THIS SUCKS!!!! But...live, learn and move on! Thanks for listening. Todd

***** I pulled the head this morning and found a small (1/4") washer sitting on top of the #2 piston. It was kinda stuck in the carbon on top. I barely touched it with a screwdriver and it poped free. NO DAMAGE to the piston, cylinder wall or valves!!!! I am a happy person!! I was expecting the worse but I got LUCKEY. Not sure where the washer came from but I will be axtra cautious when I put it all back together.******

Thanks to all for their suppord and encouragement during this little ordeal!
    Todd

Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  2. sucks,,,, going anywhere this weekend?

3. mattlowe

mattlowe

that does suck,,
    ive been there so i can honestly say i know how ya feel.
    hopefully once you pull the head it wont be to bad to get it fixed

good luck!

4. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Hopefully you stuck that sucker right into the soft but thick spot in the top of your piston, life would be good if that was the case. I on the other hand had some (words that would make Satan blush) throw some bolt into my intake at a show that I foolishly entered where the car had to be left over night, of freakin course it hit an edge and crushed the piston at the ring compressing the piston into the rings and cutting a nice deep chunk into the cylinder wall. Be gentle, less damage is done that way.

5. Thanks for the replys. Like I said, once I pull the head it will tell the story. If it got spit out through the exhaust it could have bent the valve on the way out. So betwwen the heatwave and the possible inpending hurricane I will get my ass out to the garage and see what is going on. Todd

6. harleyh

harleyh

Really sorry to hear about this Todd. Good luck hope you get it figured out soon.

Tube Notcher

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  7. Sorry Tug, if you can post some good pictures when you get the engine apart, I am sure we will be able to offer some good sound advice. Sorry to hear what happened. BDM

8. Hightone111

Hightone111

I got a cool little boroscope thingy that has saved us at the shop a few times. Couple hundred bucks from snap-on. Look in there, check compression and leakdown...way easier than tearin into it. Might have spit the pieces out and be ok?

9. 61falcon

61falcon

extreme engine rebuilding, in a hurricane during a heat wave. sorry couldnt resist. hopefully whatever it was didnt do any major damage. keep us posted.
    Dave.

10. bryan6902

bryan6902

I think Harbor Freight has a less expensive one... This really sucks! I feel for you, got my fingers crossed for minimal carnage!

11. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Hey try a bore o scope. See if you can see anything in there. if not then I would try a compression test. if that is ok then try and fire it up again. I have seen a few engines that suck a screw and blow it out and live to tell many more stories. If you gotta pull the head anyhow you dont have much to lose. just be carefull. stay strong and keep moving forward.

12. F&J

F&J

Low RPM for a few seconds... you may get real lucky like was said about it hitting in the center. If it hit at the edge, maybe crushed a ring land..but I doubt it.

Post the pics :)...of the piston and head. We wanna see

13. Dont sweat the storm, latest on the news is shouldn't hit your way until Fri- Sat. Living on the coast here in Florida, you almost get immune to the Hurricanes, but you always respect them.

14. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

That sucks. It won't help this time but I always tape off intake ports as soon as I get the manifold off on the head and the manifold, and I look down both before reassembly.
    Hope it's not terminal.

15. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

Ridgid makes a tool for looking in the pipes, it's not that pricey, I thought under 200.

16. teddyp

teddyp

hope it works out ok for you dumb thing but could you just have a rocker that got loose this happen to me with a 6 chevy and it sounded the same

17. I hoped for the same thing at first too. However when I pulled the plug and saw the plug gap was gone I can only assume the worst. Todd

18. big bad john

big bad john

This really sucks,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Good Luck

19. oneratfink57

oneratfink57
    from Wisconsin

I dont know anything about your motor but judging by your picture its an early 50's chevy six? A friend of mine's 51 had a noise similar to a rod knock a few moments before a similar noise happened(BANG BANG BANG haha). Turned out the timing gear was nylon and stripped. It would be one heck of a coincidence but pulling the timing cover back for a quick peak is a lot faster than a cylinder head removal. Just a thought. Good luck

20. sorry I put a 2x4 on my 394 and my son or me nah my son dropped a carb bolt down the intake port and he didnt notice it we started the motor ran fine then it missed and a rod cap hit the ground. 18 years ago 394 parts were real hard to come with no net so in went a caddy 500 ! so now 18 years later its getting a 355 olds motor.

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

God do I ever know that feeling..I hope its something simple, and the damage is zero..but..if your luck is anything like mine..you will be M effin that sucker once you open it up..

lets hope it was something softer than the piston

22. wizzard23

wizzard23

Had a simular noise in my Chevy II 4 banger once, no plug damage, but it ended up just being a piece of carbon that got loose.

23. xadamx

xadamx

It's gonna be OK...with no damage at all. Whatever it was got spit right out. I am passing some ultra-positive energy your way!

24. gas pumper

gas pumper

I put spark plugs in my 235 one time that were a little too long, just a little, like one thread. A couple of them got their gaps closed up. Added a second washer to the plugs and everything was fine. Just sayin' you could be lucky.

25. mastadon

mastadon

yea that does suck.whats worse is when it happens at work (mechanic by trade) thats when it cost you time and money and its not even my fuckin car.:eek:

26. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Damn, Todd! Sorry to hear that :/

I need to get up there ASAFP and buy those parts off of you we talked about......maybe it can help fund any repairs somewhat.

I'm praying you get lucky. When I took the heads off of mine, something similar had happened in its past. It had these little dings and divots in the top center of the piston and bottom of the head. Hasn't balked at me yet. Good luck!

27. I had bought a '62 Olds when I was 18, it came without a carb. I had a carb handy, bought a gasket and slapped it on, sounded great for about 3 seconds. Lots of noise, smoke out one tail pipe...

An carb stud got dropped down the intake by whoever took the carb off, bashed a hole through the top of the piston. I hope your luck is better. Divots in the top of the piston can be ground down in most cases.

Bob

28. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

boy that sucks todd, i know how long you been working on that car to get her out and about and now this. hopefully just a minor bump in the road, so to speak. let us know as soon as you get her apart, maybe nothing major.

29. quickgene

quickgene
    from duluth mn

I feel bad for you also, I have an engine with that problem now. But that doesn't help any. My 396 has lot's o-stuff to pull to get the head off. With gaskets & fluids it costs just to look. I'll first do a compression check then try a Borescope. Then go from there. I've seen videos on u-tube of some scopes. Harbor frieght borescope is $90 but they don't list the diamiter of the camera. Will a harbor frieght camera fit down a sparkplug hole ? Any others that will fit for sure. Gene

30. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

yep, maybe someone can lend you a scope if you don't have one...