Register now to get rid of these ads!

Repair or upgrade suspension question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brentadour, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Brentadour

Brentadour

I have just noticed something funny under my car (56 Olds) It looked like a nut fell off that holds the upper control arm, the one with the grease fitting. At second glance it looks like its been half assed with the wrong hardware. It is so covered with grease that its hard to tell. My question is should I look for the right replacement parts and rebuild everything or is there better parts out there? Meaning a more modern upgrade. I would like disc brakes at some point. I just don't know what is available or what tricky stuff to use, like something from a caprice or the like. Anybody have an idea? Thanks

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. F&J

F&J

Because the car is nice now, and not a basket project....If it were me, I'd clean up the entire front end to inspect all the parts. There should be new or new-old- stock "aftermarket brand" parts to fix it for now.

Then, spend some time researching the swap you want to do.

The car looks too good to jump right in without good, correct info from guys who have done upgrades on the same model.

3. Brentadour

Brentadour

That is the route I'll most likely take. Has anyone done and upgrade that has any input or a starting point?

4. haven't done an upgrade to one, I'm sure that someone has. But there is nothing in the world wrong with the Olds front end. Rebuild it and drive it.

if you want to upgrade your brakes you can look around and find a disc brake kit I'm sure or you could just go to 12" Buick finned drums. I personally would probably go with the drums.

5. Brentadour

Brentadour

Are the Buick drums a direct fit?

6. You will probably have to redrill the backing plate unless the Olds already has 12" drumbs on it. But its no hill for a stepper either way.

7. pauls fords

pauls fords

Try KANTER in New Jersey www.kanter.com complete front end rebuild kits,brake kits, engine kits etc........