Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help IDing Axle, Wheels, Hubcaps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DynoDave, Aug 29, 2010.

1. DynoDave

DynoDave
    from Michigan

I've been looking for a small utility trailer, but wanted something with a little character. I came across an old home made trailer with an even older (I think) front axle that's been welded into a fixed position (no longer turns/steers).

I know very little about the cars of this era (I'm thinking 30s Model A) but would like to ID the stuff so that A) I can know what I have and B) know what it is in case I ever need parts.

I believe these are Ford "artillery" wheels, but don't know for sure. But when I saw those V8 caps, I had to have it! :D

[​IMG]

The cap looks similar to the '36 Ford cap shown here, item 05046.

http://www.vintageford.com/sect_search.cfm?Line=V-8&Category=Hub Caps

[​IMG]

Amazingly, she made it home on those totally bald Ward Riverside 6.50-16s.

And here is that axle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any help you guys can can offer in identifying these components...I'd sure appreciate it.

2. My guess is the axle and wheels came from the same doner vehicle. Looks like '37-'38 Ford to me.

3. Squablow

Squablow

They mounted parallel leafs onto a Ford axle, that's interesting. Ford used these style wheels, known as "wide 5" wheels, from 1936-1939. 1939 would have hydraulic brakes, all the others would be mechanical, so that might help narrow it down.

The axle and the wheels definitely are from the same car, but the springs were retrofitted.

4. R Pope

R Pope

Yep, '36-'39 wide-5 axle with mechanical brakes. The 1939 hydraulics were a mid-year change, and had the 5-on-5 1/2 wheels like the '40 and up.

5. DynoDave

DynoDave
    from Michigan

Thanks guys. This is interesting.

This axle would have originally had a transverse leaf?

And mechanical brakes....I just got the trailer today and have not torn into it yet. Is this mechanical as in a cable or something? If I could get that working as a park brake, like an Army M416 trailer or something, that would be handy.

6. Squablow

Squablow

Yes, this axle would have originally come with a transverse leaf. The mechanical brakes were hooked up with rods. People used to bend the rods to take up the slack as the brake shoes wore down.

I was under the impression that you could get hydraulic brakes with wide 5 wheels in 1939. I could be wrong, but I've never heard of the mid-year change to 5.5" pattern before.

7. If you look close, you can see that the original spring pirch bolt has had a flat plate welded to the bottom. This allowed a pad for the parallel springs and U-bolts to be mounted.
    The trailer looks small enough to not worry about brakes. I'd have no issue with running it just the way it is.

8. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Not sure if it was 'mid-year', but they certainly had them both ways. An Early '39 was in the yard at Santa Clara Auto Wreckers, and I had my bid in for those brake & clutch pedals!
    I pulled the center floor section out with both toe boards before I saw the mechanical brake rods. (light years ago: 1955!)
    I think the change occured prior to March of '39.

9. DynoDave

DynoDave
    from Michigan

Thanks again guys. I'm learning a bunch here. Looks like Universal Vintage Tire has some good tire options for me.

Where does one buy wheel bearing and seals? I've never had to think about where to get Model A parts before. I don't even know the design...I assume there's some sort of tapered bearing in there.

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Same bearing/seal set up 28-48.

11. CR # 15730 should work for the seal , if you need bearing numbers let us know

12. DynoDave

DynoDave
    from Michigan

Thanks guys. I'll print this out and keep it for reference.