Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has a welder/tools older than most peoples cars?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommythecat79, Aug 31, 2010.

1. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

I got this Millermatic 35 from my wifes grandfather. I had to replace a lot of the guts to get it running right, and I cleaned up the outside painted it satin black and put some stripes on it. So it may not be older than my coupe but its five years older than me and it runs like a top now.

Attached Files:

2. budd

budd

i have a set of rolls that were built to roll the steel rims for wagon wheels, i can roll 1/2" X 2" hand rail the hard way, its like 100 years old.

3. I've got a set of Plomb sockets from 1935. I found them at a garage sale, and started talking with the old man selling them. It was his first toolset, a present for his 16th birthday.

As soon as he found out I was a BMW Tech, he refused to take any money for the tools (I offered repeatedly). Turns out he spent some time as a BMW mechanic when they first were imported to the U.S.

4. rrayne

rrayne

I have a 1930's plvmb rolling toolbox bottom part. I also have a working 1930's or 40's Century Welder. Ill try to get some pics posted later.

If anyone has the top half of a 30's plvmb tool box PLEASE let me know. If you want to tell it that is.

5. DocsMachine

DocsMachine
    from Alaska

Car's a '66.
    The horizontal mill's a '62.
    Both lathes are '56.
    The valve grinder's about '45.
    The little shaper could be as old as '35.
    The drill press might be an '09. And I don't mean 2009.
    The big shaper is a 1905.

Doc.

6. StinkBug

StinkBug
    from San Diego

I have a late 1960s vintage IdealArc 300/300 TIG welder that I use almost daily. Also have a small Southbend lathe from the mid 1930s that gets a fair amount of use as well.

7. ak's-r-us

ak's-r-us
    from oregon

i have a '41 clark forklift... currently getting a complete re-do/upgrade with a kubota diesel and some art deco bodywork

also have a late 40's logan 11'' lathe.... while its not as tight as the newer big lathe...it still comes in handy

and these arent as old as my car....they are over twice my age:)

8. silversink

silversink

mixed 044.jpg

mixed 043.jpg

mixed 046.jpg
    A Welder behind my shop of unknown vintage. I do know its a Lincoln.

9. Dynaflash_8

Dynaflash_8
    from Auburn WA

iv got a binks air compressor that was old when my ol man got it in the 60s. Im guessing late 40s.

10. I've got a set of Craftsman gauges and torches that I got for Christmas in 1962. I'm still using them.

11. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I have a few dozen of my great-grandfather's tools. He had a garage here in Flint that was built in 1918. I know some of the tools were his dad's. That puts them probably late 1800's. I still use them, too.

12. I just sold a MILLER stick, probably from the 60's, looked like it had been through a quite a few Florida hurricanes. I mean like sitting in the water, in a barn, in the hurricanes. Replaced the ground cable, ground clamp, removed the cover and cleaned out the inside, some grease in the right spots, fresh coat of blue Miller spray can,- GOOD AS NEW, even used to Heli-Arc with it { thats TIG for you new guy's ]. Just another reason for being a Miller/Hobart man.

13. 1934 South Bend 9" lathe, first year of production.
    [​IMG]

14. A Little Odd

A Little Odd

That Waukesha is nice - I do believe the outside cover, opposite the radiator is missing - there should be a couple of ID tags there... those motors date back to 1906 - yours probably 20's - 30's ?

15. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

The brake in the background says 1904 on the tag. The body is made out of wood, and it is starting to crack. Shame.
    [​IMG]

Here is my drill press, still works everyday. Not 100% clear on its age.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My Niagara jump sheer
    [​IMG]

16. snelson57

snelson57

I have a very large tool wooden tool cabinet that was the personal cabinet of a gentleman that owned a machine shop in Racine, WI. It is roughly 7 feet high, 4 feet wide and 20" deep, I guess. The outside has hand forged hinges to open the massive doors.

Inside, all finished wood with maybe 3 dozen drawers and shelfs and slots custom made for various tools, mostly woodworking.

It is dated inside the box - 1898....It is a pretty cool piece.

I purchased it still full of tools.

17. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I've got lots of my Grandfather's Craftsman hand tools, and on the few occasions that one has broken, Sears has stayed true to it's promise and replaced it with a new one free of charge. Since nobody in my family my age, or even of the generation older than me, has any mechanical aptitude, when older relatives pass on, I tend to inherit all their tools. I've got a sick 12" Black and Decker worm drive circular saw, some old odd brand drills and jig saws, a nice set of Proto sockets and 1/2" drive accessories. Good tools are almost never a bad purchase

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I dont have a picture of it, but i own an old Hobart Buzz Box, welder (stick)
    Dirt might be older than it.

19. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

My big old funky ten dollar vice has a patent date of 1914 on it...

20. silversink

silversink

If some one wants it they can have it. its in Oregon. you load.

21. I got an NOS tool kit for a model A and an input shaft clutch alignment tool for a Pierce Arrow made from an original unput shaft.

22. PegLegStrick

PegLegStrick

I've got tools that were my Dad's. A Craftsman toolbox full of tools he bought back in the early '50's allong with some wrenches he daid he used on model A's. Keep them in good shape & I'll pass them on to my grandson.

23. 1925 Dalton combo lathe/mill. 1940s Forny welder (The Fornycator). I inherited an oxy/actylene setup a while back. The oxygen cylinder was last hydroed in 1948. The gas in it is almost as old as I am. Yeah, it still has about 900 PSI in it.

24. Bearing Burner

Bearing Burner
    from W. MA

I regularly use a 9" South Bend Lathe manufactured in 1934 and a bench drill press which was flatbelt drive. Hand tools are from the '60s as are my torches.