Register now to get rid of these ads!

My turn...New flavor...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Payaso, Aug 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mockie

Mockie

In this day and age how can most people afford to build the spot on traditional hot rod as to Phil's specs? I would love to , Phil could you fund a project of mine? I'll make you happy with the end result. If not I guess I'll stick to finding deals and building my own shit.

2. Larry T

Larry T

".....The HAMB is dedicated to spreading the gospel of traditional hot rods and kustoms to hoodlums world wide. That’s right – TRADITIONAL. And we aren’t talking Beach Boys and poodle skirts here fellas. If you are into a-side 50’s pop, lawn chairs, ruler contests, and all things that make hot rodding warm and cozy then you might want to find another message board. If you aren’t sure what we mean by “traditional”, then you might think twice as well...."

I've got nothing against anyone building what they want, but a Willys pickup with a 235 and a different Willys nose is no more traditional than the "billet covered, easter egg colored" (I think I got that right) cars that everyone likes to wail and nash their teeth about here.
    I'll watch the thread though, maybe there will be some ideas that I can steal for some of my stuff. (G)
    Larry T

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The "that's the way they did it" thing is old. That's not what this place is about. It's about the product not the process.

?=butt ugly and no flow.

x2

4. Its alright. I own a '61 4WD with a 283 done back in the day. fiddy four has a Willys with a 454. His is a hot rod, I consider mine to be a parts hauler.

It is a neat project. Good looking cab the beds are always toast. I am not sure why but it is uncommon to find a good bed. It'll clean up will with the chop. Pretty neat project. Like to see it as it goes.

Here's a social group that you'll fit right into. if you are interested.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=327

Hot rodding has never been cheap. I've been doing it a very long time both bikes and cars. I have eaten a lot of pork'n'beans in the process, that is when I could afford them.

There is nothing in thw world wrong with building what you want the way that you want to build it God knows I have, but there is a certain amount of disciplin to building one traditional. It was sure easier when owning one ment that you were unacceptable and it wasn't considered traditional yet. But those days are long gone, and even then it was costly at best.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Fiddy's has a Buick 455. :D

6. Well I was close I knew it had a motor.:eek:

I haven't seen it in awhile didn't he get front sheet metal on it?

7. Mockie, if I handed you a million dollars it wouldn't buy you taste. When you guys joined the HAMB, you were supposed to read about how things are around here. Go back and reread it. Don't get stuck on the hoodlum part. Try and grasp the traditional hot rod part.

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Last I saw it it had the front sheetmetal back on it and he was working on the fenders.

9. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Amusing exchange. And I can see both sides-

Dragsters, Falcons, European racers, bikecycle cars, bicycles, Mopars, tools, techniques, birthdays, RIPs, etc., etc.

But absolutely no Jeep bodies - especially cheap Jeeps! Got it.

10. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

it's not about the Jeep body, I have more of a problem with throwing that front end on there, it doesn't go with the body, mind as well be a tractor grill, same shit.

11. Payaso, GO FOR IT, this sounds like an interesting build, different yes but I'm sure there will be something in your project we can all learn from. Have fun with the build & build safe.

12. roddinron

roddinron

Personally, I think you should do some drawings before you start cutting. You have a lot of cheerleaders here, but so do all those guys who end up busting their nut sacks in those funniest home video shows. I think combining that beautiful old "art deco" hood to a slab sided, square Willys pickup is going to end with the same results as a banister in the balls, and then those cheerleaders will all be standing around laughing.
    JMHO, I may be wrong.

13. I doubt that you are wrong at all. The Willys Overland is a flat fender truck for more than clearance. The whole vehicle is utilitarian, it was designed to be simplistic, a people box so to speak.

14. I originally started Fiddy's truck as a green 50 dollar farm-auction cab, front and 4X4 frame. I was building it as a gravel-road flatbed daily driver with a 30s Mopar Tube front axle, 62 Poncho rear axle and a SBC....
    Wasnt' supposed to be a traditional so much as a fun daily..
    Fiddy got it and changed a few suspension things, threw in a buick 455, added a Jeep bed and drives the shit out of it.
    I personally have mixed feelings about it's "traditionalism"..

Attached Files:

15. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Man We got a bunch a panties up in a twist here. I see good points from all sides here. I do agree that this is not a traditional build in the sense of cloning a traditional style hotrod. No we are not building a car that was built in the old days. I absolutely respect the tradition and culture that is covered here on the HAMB especially from the original members. I have been patiently waiting to get my life back to a point where I can dump a bunch of money into my 49 fleetline built in a very traditional from about 1955-58 style,down to a lot of small details. but doing something in this "Flavor" is fun and keeps us building and having fun while the funds arent there.

I also see where the aggrivation comes from for all the other types of follow along with the latest fad rodders. We are not those guys. we are building with quality and safety in mind thoughtfulness and style will be added in as well. the free parts thing is kind like this. you get an idea of what you might need and spread the word. someone calls up and has a good deal on that part and we go for it.

Sorry if this build will offend any of you traditional fella's here on the HAMB but we are doin havin fun and bonding with our homies. If we had the capital in our favor a More traditional car would be the result. between us we have some great cars built in our minds and have a lot of knowlede and research in the subject of tradtional rods and customs.

Time will tell if this will be a "cool" car or not. if you dont like it just go on to the next post.

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Just because "You can" doesn't mean "You should"

You said it not me... and besides this is the place for Traditional Hot Rods and Customs....

17. You Oregon guys take a ribbing pretty well. Cool.

Slamit, I'd like to see what you have in mind for your '49. The PNW style in the years you mentioned is one of my favorite regional styles. Cars done with continuity and attention to details that are specific to a certain time frame are why I like the HAMB. The world wide nature of the HAMB lets us see those regional differences. Pretty cool, IMO. But, please put that on its own thread. Not this one. This one is about a New Flavor. Your '49 sounds like comfort food, to me.

18. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

Dead horse....met big a$$ stick, oh wait....you've already met?

19. Aint nothing trad about Travis's truck. It is just a hot rod truck.

And I just befriended Chili Phil;)

20. Jay Ess

Jay Ess
    from New York

Ditto, I like his style...

21. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Well Chilli I am a califas transplant into oregon. I am going with a more southern Ca late fifties kinda watson kinda high school kids car. Something that a little more well off 17 year old would be drivin. it'll be low with a minimalist approach stock 15" wheels with 55 Olds 88 caps, Bias ply whites, 50 dodge tail lights, maybee an olds grill bar cut down to fit with a 48 olds upper grill surround. I havent decided on just frenched stock headlights yet or 55 olds lights. I like Olds stuff by the way. body will be a medium green metallic with some Watsonesque scallops on it. not too over the top with the paint but enough for "Pizzaz" interior is still up in the air. I am leaning toward simple tuck n roll but might go black instead of the usual white although black would be a bit later so I am not sure. Engine is gonna be a 283 hence the kid with a bit more money in 1957. I am thinking chromed script valve covers and a 4x2 intake. I really want a set of the Fenton Cast manifolds that patricks just released. engine is gonna be cream colored with polished manifold and chromed exhuast manifolds, a dual point ignition and those swanky clearish plug wires, very smooth and clean under hood gloss black inner fenders and off white firewall. transmission is yet to be determined. a lasalle box might be correct but i think a more modern 4 speed will be more fun to drive. the stock front end is gonna stay and will have stepped lower arms and later 51 and up brakes for the Bendix stuff.

This is just a little off the top of my head.

Like I said Chili, I respect tradition more than most fellows on here. I dream about this shit all day long. I have built a million cars in my head that I will build someday. But I love cars as a whole and I really love to work on them.

My Friend Mondo A.K.A Payaso, has a dream to build a car. He and I talk about cars non stop and most of the things we talk about is Traditional cars. He is a huge wealth of knowlege in the history of our little corner of the universe and I know how deep his respect for the traditional style is. but bottom line.
    we wanted to do it a little different this go around. so Stay tuned and be either disgusted or be enthusiastic as we are and have a good time building a hot rod.

And plans are for a little heat out of that little 6. we both love old sixes even if the power potential sucks. they are still cool ass little big motors.

Eric

22. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Zman. Yeah I did say it Hahahaha. We wont let you down man. were not shootin for the centerfold of rebelrodz come on now!

Shit all this for running a willys cab. shoulda just used a model a cab :}

then it wouldnt cause such a melt down and what fun would that be!

23. I'm gonna love your '49, Eric.

As for Mondo, I wish you could steer him towards a more proper home for a hotted up six. Should be able to swap that fairly cherry cab and front sheet metal for an old Chevy 4 door or something. There's someone building a Willys gasser somewhere who needs that front end. I sure love a snarly six.

24. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

If you got a 48 fleetline to put it in by all means send it our way!!!!!!!!!!!!! :]

25. Mockie

Mockie

I know it's much easier for arrogant pricks like you to feed other people your opinions about them over the net but I don't think you have the nuts to talk trash to my face. You don't know me, you don't know my taste, you don't know my projects. I'm done with you I'd rather spend my time working on my projects than listen to your B.S.

26. studemisfit

studemisfit

I like it. then again i guess i must be a hoodlum and a FNG so what do i know.

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Hey fellas... This is a traditional hot rod forum... I kind of like this build though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.