Register now to get rid of these ads!

Insurance help!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Julio, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

hey dudes I need some advice or suggestions or insight from anyone that has gone through this, so my car got crashed into, what happened is the neighbor is an alcoholic disabled old man, stole his wifes keys to go to the store, floored the reverse and hit my driver side on the grill and headlight (I have a 63 comet), he pushed my car far back enough to hit another neighbors ford explorer and fucked up my passenger side wing and quarter panel, light and bumper. I want their insurance to pay for the damage, which they should but I feel they are going to try to junk my car and give me their "current value" of the car to avoid repair costs, its not too gnarly but it is still a good amount of work to get my car back to normal. Im not letting these people take my car and I just wanna know if there are any courses I should take to keep my car and get it paid for, hell I wasnt even awake when they hit my car why should I have to take the expense of losing my car?!

on the other hand Im glad he hit my car and didnt keep driving, there is an elementary school right up the street and this man was in no position to drive.

any help is appreciated

-Julio

2. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Do you currently carry full coverage on your car? Like an agreed value policy? If so, you could possibly use that for documentation of your car's value, without making a claim on your policy.

Good luck. Stu

3. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

A friend of mine had his car vandalized, and his homeowner's insurance covered it, so I'd look into the policy on the house if I were you. I'm not sure which company you have or your neighbor has, and what their policies on such things are, but it's probably worth asking about. Being that he hit your car though, I'm sure they'd try to get his insurance to pay for it.

4. seldom scene

seldom scene

I am not a lawyer, I don't practice law. Have you talked to your insurance company? Your company may be able to make sure you don't get burned.

5. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

Insurance don't really care if you get burned or not, they worry about themselves getting burned. Unless you have comprehensive coverage with a very low deductable you'll probably end up paying some out of your pocket, it sucks if it works out this way. Hopefully his insurance will step up and pay for all the damage, like they should, IMO.

6. Homeowner's does NOT cover accident damage or damage from storms and the like. You're going to have to go after that guy's insurance company.

7. Normally the insurance company tries to total an old car. if you have nothing that corroborates the value of the car you are pretty much at their mercy.

Sopmetimes you can convince the adjuster that you have or are in the process of restoring the car. Not very often but once in a great while you can and they'll give you some compensation for it.

You do have options if you do the work yourself you may get the drunken neighbor to pay for materials. That is unless you turned him into the police. They would probably just as soon that you didn't make them make a claim anyway.

8. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Insurance company's only understand paperwork that's there world, not hands on People so keep this in mind. I would go for a Cash settlement where they will pay you out and you keep the car. It usually works at the replacement value (From appraisal) of the car less 20% for the car and the balance in Cash no taxes and you pay for any towing or storage if it's been moved off your property. (I hope not).
    If you do not have an appraisal then find 6 comparable vehicles to get a value to work from. (E-bay, Hemmings, Auto Trader,)

O yes the "Old Tinbasher" was a damage appraiser for 10 years. (Glad I don't do that job any more!!!)

The Old Tinbasher

9. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

I was curious, and I called my insurance rep. He told me that, as you said, accident and storm damage is not covered, but vandalism and ... TERRORISM... are covered. Yeah, my homeowner's insurance covers my vehicle from acts of terrorism. Funny, my homeowner's insurance won't do squat, for my home OR car, in a flood.

10. MCM

MCM

I will never again try to deal with an insurance company directly (learned that the hard way), my first call would be to a lawyer...

11. The old Tinbasher nailed this. "If you do not have an appraisal then find 6 comparable vehicles to get a value to work from. (E-bay, Hemmings, Auto Trader,)"

Demand replacement value. Of course, this only works if it was a nice car before it got bonked.

12. Look back and re-read what you posted. Now, ask yourself: does this guy need a lawyer, or 47 opinions from Hot Rodders.

Now, go call a lawyer.

Cosmo

13. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

If it was me, in as much as the law allows I would not even mess with the insurance company, file suit against the old man for repair cost, let him fight the insurance company.

14. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

Update, I got a call from his insurance company, they said they will cover the costs and even get me a rental car! (desert trip now haha) so hopefully it all works out, meeting with the rep's on friday. Il keep you guys posted for future reference thread!

-JULIO!

15. Good news! Now fix your car.

16. Julio

Julio
    from san diego

met with the dude this morning, it was great, Gave him the estimate, he took some pictures and tore me a check. for anyone out there dealing with insurance, hope its Farmers, they were great! now to get the bitch back on the road!

17. big bad john

big bad john

Glad it work out....Big Bad John:D