Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Goodguys is Cancelling This Why? Blue Suede Cruise Coverage

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Malibob, Aug 23, 2010.

1. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Hey Kirk, FYI... If goodguys has a show anywhere near VA count me in! I love GG events but can only make it to 1 or 2 a year. But believe me, they have always been my favorite. Much better than NSRA and we even had that in my own backyard (richmond nationals) for 5 years or so. I think GG events are priced very fairly for everything you get and the quality you get to see. Plus who else gets you on the track for a few laps and everything else... So if GG considers show locations, PLEASE think about us in the center of the East Coast. THANKS

2. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't see where I mentioned Goodguys in that post. I was talking about events in general and only mentioned Billetproof, of which I am a founder. If the F word offends you, sorry, but it's just a word and I'm just using it to express frustration. This place is supposed to be like hanging out in the garage with your buddies. I don't know about your garage, but a lot worse gets said in mine and any I've ever been in.

As for where I am in the Goodguys food chain...pretty high up.

I am defending promoter bashing not Goodguys bashing in this thread.

Also, I know a lot more words than the F word (I actually have an IQ of 140), but it is simple and impactful. Don't get stuck on words, understand the statement.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  3. KIRK!

KIRK!

Well you aren't too far from Charlotte, but one in VA would be cool for me. I have relatives there! I'll throw the idea out to the group. Thanks!

4. greazy john

greazy john

we love norwalk used to race when we lived up north ....... lots of overhead now..very top notch place

5. moparted

moparted
    from upstate ny

i heard that under 2000 cars is a no go for any goodguys eveny

6. KIRK!

KIRK!

Not true. Goodguys has several events with less than 2000 cars. It comes down to the cost of the venue vs how many people.

7. dontlifttoshift

dontlifttoshift

I think there is more to it than that. You have to account for spectator gate and vendor fees and the cost of site rental. example:

great lakes nationals (berrien springs, waukesha, and finally madison which was awesome) had like 1,200 cars or so. There was virtually no vendors and now walk in crowd. People in Wisconsin don't spend money.

Chicagoland nationals, about the same amount of cars but lots of spectators and loads of vendors. As far as I know Chicagoland will continue and Madison got canceled.

edit* KIRK! beat me to it, i suck. but at least i didn't swear :)

8. millersgarage

millersgarage

it rained at GG Indy, it rained at GG Columbus, I thought that was part of going to a GG event in the midwest......

9. richie rebel

richie rebel

hey kirk,i'm giggy with the f-bomb..lol..........keep norwalk going,do some talking to the boys (gary marc).................

10. lowphat53

lowphat53
    from Virginia

Well you aren't too far from Charlotte, but one in VA would be cool for me. I have relatives there! I'll throw the idea out to the group. Thanks!

Yes, I love Charlotte, go every year. I have been to Columbus a couple of times too. Anywhere in NC, SC, VA, DC, MD and I am there... THANKS

11. 49 Plymouth Cat

49 Plymouth Cat

I went three years ago before Good Guys took over and it was GREAT, after they took over the prices of everything doubled so I havnt went back up. It used to cost $35 to race all day and now its double that. I dont know anyone still going, I hope someone picks it up who is about the cars rather than the money as long as G.G. is running it I wont be back.

12. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I think one of the bigger problems with the event was the weekend it was on, it has to be very hard to compete with Woodward Dream Cruise 100 or so miles away. There is always more cars for the show and shine at a GG show then race cars correct? I would have to think alot were up at the cruise. And as far as the dinner issue I would hope people are not pissed about that, I go to race not eat, but it is my second favorite thing to do:) Norwalk has grown over the years and has done some great things to bring people in but the economy is still in the tank and I have heard all the events at Norwalk have had lower car counts all but the NHRA pro event.

Jon

13. It's no wonder those were GREAT times before Goodguys stepped in to try and help save the event. There's no f-ing way that show could have made a penny. First off, they only had one main source of revenue, $30-35 per entry, and secondly, they provided at no extra cost to the attendees a bunch of things, here's a list from from what others have already posted on here:

FREE camping
    FREE use of the race track
    FREE BBQ for all attendees
    FREE amusement park rides
    FREE live music featuring big name bands

On top of all the things they provided for Free, here's a partial list of the expenses that the promoters of the show had to cover just to put on the event:

Employees for operating the race track
    Employees for concessions and merchandising on site
    Employees for amusement park rides
    Event security staffing
    Various permits, licensing relating to the event
    Water, Sewer, and Garbage
    Event related clothing and merchandise
    Insurance and Taxes for the event
    Advertising and event artwork

If anything, you should be happy that you had the opportunity to enjoy the show for more then one year when it was clearly losing money. Instead of bashing the organization that's continued to put on the show or calling out a fellow H.A.M.B.er who works for said organization, let's use this thread for what the original author Malibob intended it for to provide some positive feedback about what works at the show, as well as some suggestions of improvements that can be made to the event. I know somewhere out there, there is a happy medium where the promoters of the show make a little profit and they participants who attend the show get a good deal, we just have to find it.

14. Falcon Gasser

Falcon Gasser

I would almost think if GG pull out they will make one event out of two and it will be called the Blue Suede Cruise Gasser Reunion.

Jon

15. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Just to clear up a few things.... FUCK is not actually a swear word.......It stems back to the 1600's . Nights were not permitted after battle to have sex with local girls in taverns unless, FUCK was posted above the door.

FUCK= Fornication Under the Crown of the King

16. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Oh boy here we go...

17. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

we arent going anywhere Dude ! Just having some fun here. light humor........this hobby is supose to be fun ! I use it as a vehicle to relieve stress, not to create more !

18. c57heaven

c57heaven

Say it isn't so....
    Been going to Gg's events in Ohio when the Columbus event was in Medina Ohio. The suede is a nice show with the track and all right on site.
    We in this area are fortunate to have two good GG shows.
    This area has many great events between Thompson and Norwalk.
    Pinks is at Norwalk this weekend and it is packed.
    There is a bunch of competition out there for your hotrod dollar.

19. richie rebel

richie rebel

hey mr.haney,richie rebel here, how you doing man ?????

20. agasaustin

agasaustin
    from Ohio

I really like the Norwalk show, hope they keep it there. Ran my car there for the first time this year, but been to all of them that the Goodguys put on, never went to it before then sound like it was fun. The only thing that confuses me is why when you register a hotrod is $45 and you get two passes, but whe you register to race its $75 which I'm ok with but you only get one pass and its $55 for each crew member. I'll keep going back if they have it there. Have to get my pound of ice cream for a dollar, not that I need it.

John

21. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

Wish I did not miss the pound of ice cream, too many beers instead. If they have it next year I will be looking forward to that.

22. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Ahhhh Man Ya Know......Livin the "American Dream" Richie ! Hope all is well with you and your crew ....see ya down the road dude !

23. rcr81

rcr81

I dont see this show not making money I'm sure the racing pays for it's self, there are alot more entries paying alot more to enter than a regular weekly show, and the car show had at least 1800 entries at 35 or more a pop, plus the spectator gate and vendors....thats a huge pile of cash. If Indy makes money this event should, I think the contract story makes more sense, at any rate I hope the show survives it's only 20 mi from me....damn handy.

24. phukinartie

phukinartie

I love goodguys events, up here in the NW there are lots top shelf events but the goodguys is one I wont miss...I mean really who wants to walk around a show all weekend and say Wow!! I saw so many piles of shit!! it was awesome!

25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Not even remotely true.

The word derives from the Dutch word fokken "to breed" as in cattle and Swedish dialect fokka "to copulate"

A good dictionary showing the etymology of words is a handy thing to have.

26. Malibob

Malibob
    from Pittsburgh

See Mr. Haney; this is where I was talking about going. LOL

27. Mr Haney

Mr Haney

Ya I know.....but he is defining the farm animal terminology. Mine was the human definition :D:D:D LOL

28. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

ChevyGirl's review of 2008 was spot on.

Looking back I believe it was the 2nd BSC and there had been a horrible storm pass thru. But, at the time we were asked just to not park on the grass. Park on the pavement, wherever ya want, and the party continued.

I've tried to pinpoint why our friends/family haven't gone back either. #1 - I hear the cost. #2 - The vibe is just different. We're talking about a show that used to have really weird, stupid adult and kids games..with trophies. Free golf cart rides to get ice cream. Vendors with prize wheels. Etc. Unnecessary for a show? Yes. But it had a family feel to it.

The bbq was the "gimmic" of the BSC. I don't see anything wrong with that. Just like the Burnout Contest is a highlight of the Rock N Race. Each show has it's "thing". It's like if the Road Rocket Rumble no longer held the pin up girl contest. It would probably upset a few folks.

29. meteorgasser

meteorgasser
    from Lodi, Ohio

Oh and one more thing. Not that I get a vote. But I would vote to moving the event back to late May like it used to be. There wasn't any competition the last weekend of May. And after a long, hard Ohio winter the BSC was the first major show to kick off the season again. Like a reunion of sorts.

30. cruisinkruty

cruisinkruty

Here is the latest///Mr. Bader wants to do the Blue suede cruise himself. He has asked several old timers what it would take to make it work better. The dude actually listens. He wants a few bands,fireworks and food,oh yea lotsa fun runs and no fuel cars because they are too expensive to book. He wants the Muscle cars,Gassers and AFX'ers. Whaddya think? In reasonable terms,what does he need to do to make this a show that cruisers and racers will be happy with? My humble opinion. Ditch the bands,fireworks. Concentrate on fun runs and exhibition cars that people want to see. Yes Fuel cars are expensive but they draw the most spectators. The weekend pass for a participant should be no more than 35 bucks. Throw in a free burger style meal for PREPAID registrations. Lower the spectator gate fee to a real low number to draw paying customers who do not have cars. Lower the price for vendors and swap meet areas. This is all doable. Then pray to GOD for good weather.