Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any budget builders out there?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by screwball, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Built this one last winter (still driving it) total investment $3,200.
    Bought a pile of tin with papers for $1,500. Sold the Ford 9' that was in it for $400 and the pedal set up, steering column for another $300.
    Put it all together with auto wrecker parts. 350fi with over drive tranny. S10 rear. Monte Carlo clip.
    Safe and reliable.

Attached Files:

2. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I had about 2500 in my '50 sedan delivery when I started driving it. Ive spend about 1500 more since then on 2-4's and aluminum valve covers and upgraded brakes.
    Heres a few pics taken right after I got it on the road.
    [​IMG]

Nailhead came from a 65 wildcat. Gaskets and paint and its a runner.
    [​IMG]

more recent pic of the engine bay
    [​IMG]

3. Racewriter

Racewriter

Depends on what you want. Are you going to get an ISCA show winner for 5K? Nope. Are you going to get a 7-second drag car for 5K? Huh-uh. Can you build something that's fun and distinctive for 5K? Hell yeah. Bought my '68 Mercury Monterey for 1800, will have under 5K finished including new paint and interior. Of course, that's doing everything but the interior myself, and the wife doing the seats. But it's all skills that can be learned with practice.

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Very funny, you're on the list now.:cool:

5. trucks usually sell for less than car there was a running 54 2door olds not far from you for $1500 it was plated and the guy was driving it, needed rockers and an interior the seat were torn.

6. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

I have less than $3000 in my 52 and a lot of hours of work. It has 4 wheel disc brakes (new brakes,calipers,master cylinder/brake booster (CPP) ),new wire harness (Rebel-Glenn 33),custom drive shaft,New patch panels,lights,ect,still have 216 w/3 spd. Not finished but driveable and it attracts a lot of attention even now. I bought the rolling chassis from Danimal on here
    What I stated with

[​IMG]

Where it is now-still not where I want it to be but are they ever really finished?

[​IMG]

7. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

i still do knot know what the final price will be but i was safely on the road for ~2000 including new tires (i was as it turns out unsafely on the road for less).
    as some have mentioned, selling of parts yo do not need is a good way to save. I basically was "paid" to get my parts car.
    i do gave a garage to work in though.
    Patience in looking for a good price on what yo are interested in will be needed.

8. artdog

artdog

I have no idea how you feel about volkswagens, but folks at www.volksrods.com are building some amazing cars and a whole bunch on budget. The cars are still relatively common, parts are everywhere, either used OEM or repops. Check 'em out, it's a great group of people.

Steven

9. davidwilson

davidwilson
    from Tennessee

find a unfinished t bucket - they're cheap

10. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

your description is kinda vague. i guess i have a couple cars on the road for less than $5k :confused:

bought this for $1700, put another $500 into it so far. has a lot to go but its doable now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bought this car for $750. have done a motor swap and other things to keep it going. all in all we've only put about $800-900 into it

[​IMG]

stuff is out there, just gotta do a little digging to get at it sometimes

11. Trust me, it probably isn't the first list!:D

12. budd

budd

for the OP, if you want to find lots of old iron you need to go west young man, BC has an old car in every barn it seems.

13. saucerhead

saucerhead

Built my avatar for $6,300. It was a hoot to drive. Made the cover of Street Rodder in April and won a Street Rodder Top 100 at Bowling Green Nostalgia Nats. I had more fun building that car than all the 32's I've built.

14. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

There are a few ways to keep the cost of a project down.

First to start with, find some one who has a wife or girlfriend that is not into cars and just wants the iron gone. I bought a truck the seller originally wanted $1500 for. I went to his house to look at the truck and his girlfriend was standing there and told me if it were up to her I could have the truck just to get it out of the yard. By the time everything was said and done I had the truck for $300. Ended up taking the parts I could use for my trucks and parted out the rest for $1000. This type of deal happens on a regular basis.

Second, do all the work yourself. I've known way too many people who farm most, if not all, the work out. Not only does this cost a fortune, the project drags out for years while the owner is either looking for some one to do the work or saving to get the work done. I like to do as much of the work as possible myself so I can save money and get the project on the road. If I don't know how to do something the HAMB is a great place find out how to do it. It's the first place I search when I have a car related question. There are so many diverse people on this board with so much accumulated knowledge it's unbelievable.

Third, look for parts where they're not advertised. I bought parts from people on eBay who were selling parts I wasn't interested in. Example, I saw a guy selling a heater for a '40 Buick, I didn't need a heater but the seller mentioned the heater was out of car he was street rodding. I needed front frame parts for my '37 so I emailed him to ask if he was stubbing the '40 and if he was would he sell me the front frame clip. I not only ended up buying the part I needed but got a rebuilt engine, transmission, complete front and rear suspension along with five new wide white wall tires for $800. Don't be afraid to ask around, if you know other car guys they know other car guys. Even if the first guy isn't into your style or vintage vehicle he might know some one who has parts for your project. Ask vendors at swapmeets, same deal.

Think out side the box when it comes to parts. There are a few threads on the HAMB about making parts on the cheap using items you can buy at Walmart or other places that you wouldn't think of buying parts for your project from. There are a lot of stainless household items that can be cheaply transformed into parts for your ride.

If you're not building a show car consider using paint from the local farm supply store, tractor paint holds up pretty well and is cheap. Spray it yourself.

Wheel and deal. I got into my present project by accident but have learned a lot about it in the short time I've been working on it. So far I have probably have about $5 into it but have only have $2K of actual money into it because of the wheeling and dealing I've been lucky enough to be able to do. I still have a parts I'm going to sell once the car is done and I know I won't need any more. Buy entire parts cars if you can, take the parts off you need and sell the rest, most likely you'll get more for the extra parts than you paid for the car.

This is how I keep my project cost down.

My web site with my projects, http://fatfenderedtrucks.com/

15. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

A lot of good info already ,My secret is I take a lot of time. I am collecting parts for a 40 ford p.u. that I traded work for, I may collect parts for a couple of years but when you get in a hurry you usually pay more money. I think $5000 is very doable on a daily driver type vehicle. I will also say that in the last 5 cars I've done I've only lost money on one and then less than $200. I say that because nothing will sour you on a project quicker than being upside down and out of funds.Take your time ,make the good deals, don't change your mind halfway thru,always ask yourself if every purchase will add to the vehicle. If it doesn't add to the value,don't do it. Best of luck.

16. Stumpuller

Stumpuller

there are still cheap runners out there. just a little harder to find em these days.
    and sometimes you have to settle for a mediocre power plant/trans until you can build/buy something better. never discount that tired ol 305 and TH whatever. it can get you out on the road. try and find a local u pull it place.and dont be scared of boneyard parts.
    but dont cut too many corners for safeties sake. if it looks shady in the driveway, its gonna be downright terrifiying on the road.
    building a rat used to be because it was all you could afford. not for the sake of a ratty fad car. with a little ingeneuity you can build a basic, cool car on a budget.

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Thats my name,this is my game:p.........wait that sounds kinda lame:eek:...:D

Attached Files:

18. i go by the motto they are never done but, i am hoping to have my new 50 ford on the road by oct 1st for under 5k including my 3500 initial investment ......we'll see
    its just me and i have a friend thats good at melting metal who helps maybe one night a week

19. mytruksnow1.jpg

mytruksnow2.jpg

$750
    drove it home.
    Added about $1,000 since.

20. Paid $100 and trailered home the baskets of rusty pieces for 700 miles behind my Jeep.

Fixed it up with two other $100 parts cars.
    That was 1977

In the late 80's after using it as a family car and travelling car for many years, it received a 472 ($125 for the Caddy donor) and may more years of family car duties.

For a period of time, the back seat was filled with kiddie car seats. The kids loved that old Studie.

"..You're gonna miss this, you're gonna want this back, you're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast....."

62hawktow.jpg

62hawkdriveway.jpg

62hawkairbrush.jpg

62hawkmural.jpg

62hawkoil+cooler.jpg

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  21. Chopperrides

Chopperrides

I think trucks are good for this but most important to me is a good drive train. This one had it all Short bed, big window, 4 speed, and a decent body. When I got into the engine I found it was a 312 BONUS! All for $900. I put almost $4,000 more. Thanks to my friends and tons of my own hours. The biggest expense was the seat $500 but worth it.

[​IMG]

22. geezerkat

geezerkat

I picked up a '51 Merc 4door for $375. Chopping it now (4 front, 5 rear). Picked up a bbc 402 cheap a few years ago ($250), same with a th400 ($100). A basic PAW rebuild kit, Aerostar front springs, leaves out of the rear with some lowering blocks if needed, new brake shit and some front end parts, do the interior work myself (basic), oh, and some rust repair. Basic flat black. Just a fun car. Should be on the road for under 5k. Of course if I paid myself 50 cents an hour it'll likely go 10 grand.

23. screwball

screwball

any one up in the rust belt with budget builds. Im not trying to exclude the others but trying to get a real grasp of building from what is available in the same conditions as myself. I wish I could afford to pick up a western or southern project but the shipping would kill the budget. I have been told to go to the rat rod sites as there are more builds along this route but thats not what im trying to build.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  24. kingpins

kingpins

im almost finished with mine at $2,600.

25. bobj49f2

bobj49f2

I posted above, I'm dead in the middle of the Rust Belt. We spread salt during winter like crazy and nothing lasts. I also can't afford to travel south or west to pick up a project so I do with what I can find around here. I know where you're coming from. The farthest I've traveled for a car or parts is about 400 miles. Check out my web site:

www.fatfenderedtrucks.com

26. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I am in the rust belt in Pa. ! It can be done !
    The 55 Ford in my avatar I have about $4000 in it right now and that will include all the body work and there is still some rust to finish , rebuild Ford 302 with heavily modified 289 heads , Thumper cam and some shinny stuff on the engine , rebuild C4 new Smithys mufflers , and a paint job . I am doing all the work myself and have traded many things and been to many swap meets for what I needed .
    I also have a 1950 Ford tudor that I am looking at for less than $3000 to be very road worthy and very safe too ! That will have a SBF engine and 3 on the tree . Right now I might have $400 in it with the engine and trans included . Yes I will rebuild the engine but can do that for less than $600 !

The trick to the cheapest is do ALL the work yourself and just be "Thrifty" on how you spend your money . Learn to clean and rebuild your old parts and a cheap can of paint , it will look new again . It just takes time and patients . Also shop around the salvage yards and swap meets for modern good used parts that can be used . C/list is another great place for parts and many times you can barter for the parts with things you have that you don't use anymore ! Also you don't need a costly paint job to have a good , dependably , safe car ! Primmer is cheap and so is many other paints that will look good . Stay away from Ebay for your parts . Too many people will pay more for used stuff than you can pay for new . I have even helped a friend fix cars for parts . That is just time for what you need and no cash was used !

Retro Jim
    These are the things I do to get what I want .

27. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

You HAVE to do all the work yourself to keep anything affordable. I did this car last winter for under $5k. Engine needed freshened up without machine work, new rod ends, brakes, doo dads added up - but you need new stuff to an extent to be safe. A lot of the non consumable stuff is definately salvage material. Found a black canvas convertible top that I am going to alter for it. Paid $7.47 for it. It just doesn't have to be high dollar stuff to have fun.
    [​IMG]

28. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

I,m the CHEEEEPEST! sob I know, did a 38 chrysler on the mooch back in the early 80,s on a bet I could not ,did not spend a dime all free including the car bought on the bet made street rodder back then and was the hit of the okc nats oh the bet was that I could not get it in a rag

29. I paid 650.$ for our 60 olds and rebuilding with all used parts other then brakes, used 355 olds mill rebuilt trans a friends doing it for 150 bucks thanks steve. the wife will do the seats and I will do all the custom work. done I am hopeing for under 5K. the picks is at my albums as I cant seam to post picks here.

30. Hell he's been on my list for a long time and my list isn't very big there just aren't that many people that I like.

I do n't keep a liost of Bung Holes it would just be too damned big.

A key to keeping the price within reason for me has always been to procure a body that isn't very high on the list of the world's most desirable cars, then patience. It takes me a long time to collect the right bits 'n' pieces because I'm not willing to go in debt for a car and if you wait the perfect pieces will come along at a very desirable price. I have a dragster project that will probably be another two years and I finally have most of the hard parts collected.

Sometimes I buy something that I won't ever use because it is a good price and will be good trading material. Then it sits in my way until I need cash or someone has something that I do want to trade. Its a long slow process but I tend to keep my cars a long time.