Register now to get rid of these ads!

Smithys vs Straight pipes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brentadour, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Brentadour

Brentadour

Some how I was convinced not to use my new 30' mufflers on my Olds with a 324 and went with straight pipes. It isn't very loud but I don't like the sound at all. It sounds like a tug boat. Will the smithy give it a different tone and a nice rumble or will they quiet the exhaust to much? Thanks.

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

IS this your first vintage engine? I feel like a lot of times, unless they are built pretty nasty with some compression, most of them have a vintage sound that's not as menacing as one would think. In particular Cadillacs and Olds.

I think that smithy's will probably make it even more quiet but you might get a little more raapp out of it.

3. Tim McNees

Tim McNees

[​IMG]
    I really like the sound my flatty makes running thru smithy's

4. I really only have experience with Smittys paired with Flatheads, but the tone is really nice. Give it a shot.

5. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Also try porters. I think they may have a bit more rumble to them then the smitthy's. I'll probably run them on my '35.

6. Anything but straights, they do nothing positive for performance and sound like dog meat.

7. 8-Track

8-Track

Get rid of the smithys and orderup some new Porter mufflers they wil give you the sound you are looking for !

8. I run Smithy's on my 56 F100 with a SBC. They sound good. Gary

9. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I have used Cherry Bombs , Thrush and Smithys . I really like the sound of the old Thrush round mufflers that aren't made anymore but can't find them anyplace .
    I have Cherry Bombs on my 55 Ford with Y block now and sound real good but hate the popping sound when I let off the gas and stick in low gear .
    Smithys have a nice mellow rumble sound until you stand on it , then they sound great ! When I pull the Yblock and install a 302 this winter , mine will have Smithys on them . I have the old one too . The newer ones have steel wool instead of fiberglass , as I was told .

Retro Jim

10. Brentadour

Brentadour

My last car had a 454 with cherry bombs and sounded great, for what it was, but was way to loud. The Olds sound like shit with the straights. I want it to sound good. Not quiet or like a race car just like it should. What ever I just took off was so quiet it took the fun out of driving the car for me.

11. brady1929

brady1929

i had smithys with my 53 ford p/u powered by a flathead, sounded great!

12. big bad john

big bad john

Go with the Smithys........straight pipes just don't sound smooth tone. Big Bad John:D

13. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

In the fifty's everybody ran Smithys. Steelpacks were a bit louder than the Glasspacks but they both sounded great

14. 54_Nailhead

54_Nailhead

Porters are the only way to go.

15. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

One of my favorite places to get ideas on how things will sound is youtube. Not much on there for 324s and Smittys, but lots of other vids with smittys.

16. sociallydistorted

sociallydistorted

I have zero experience with Porters but I had Smithy's on my '47 Ford. It had a flatty and sounded amazing. A super mellow rumble at idle but sounded like it meant business when I stomped on it.

I'll either go with Smithys again or try the Porters on my next project.