Register now to get rid of these ads!

What would you have done?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by olddaddy, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

fuckin bahahahhahahahhahhah..this is priceless.....undersized..hahahhah leg hole too large hahhahhaha you fucker , thats halarious:D

2. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

You handled the situation very well. More patience than I have, but. LOL. :D

3. Never2low

Never2low

Wait, that's not the end of the story. After several curtios replys from F.O.T.L public relations manager, the rotation issue was resolved. To his dismay, another troubling problem surfaced. Seems the uninformed cashier at Walmart who sold him the atire, wasn't aware that his waist was only a 32", not the 40" product she sold him. (cause we all know, measuring your waist before you buy pants, is plain stoopid. So, 17 emails to Walmart corpo. later, He still insisted she had purposly sold him the wrong garments. Walmart grasiouly offered a return, but he said "Fuck it, I just shoved some copper pipe in there, and fixed it myself. And I'm back on the road........:D

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

You have the patience of a toothache.

5. Jagman

Jagman

I wonder if the fixer upper guy was a young fellow?

Those brought up in the plug n play generation seem to have very little patience with things like this, I see it every day on an OT car forum I belong to. Instant gratification just isn't fast enough for them! You know, the kind for a whom a microwave oven just isn't fast enough.....

I'm not damning all young people here, I know there are those who were taught right, or who learned well, but this guy does not seem cut from that cloth.

At any rate, I would not slam the door on him, it's possible that with enough patience he could be turned around - I mean he is trying to bring back a '36 car, can't be all bad, can he?

I think I'd invest one more email to ask him how his project turned out, and if there's anything you could do at this point to help him - might be another sale in there somewhere - maybe he was just having a really bad day?

You might spend a few minutes and a few words explaining why copper is not a good choice for a bearing shim, and ask again if he might consider sending his spindles to you.

The life you save, could be mine! :)

dmar836 likes this.
  6. Hebert Racing

Hebert Racing
    from Louisiana

Sounds like he was pissed at you because he didnt know WTF he was doing. Some people should not be allowed to own Tools.

7. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

There is a factor that you can use to determine when you will run across your next customer that "you will fail to communicate with". About 1 out of every 25. Out of that there is a factor to determine your chances that they will go nuts on your s%it, and try to kill you, 1 out of 1000. The best thing to do is to slowly exit the premises, not make eye contact, and not turn your back to them. I had a woman chase me down the street with a 14" cleaver because she could not fit a whole watermelon uncut into her 3" diameter hole for her garbage disposal. I hope that has been my quota for the month anyway.

8. aussiesteve

aussiesteve
    BANNED

I know where I would have tried to stick the watermelon!!!

RIP ED

9. jamesdfo

jamesdfo

olddaddy: I'm thinking you are one of the most patient, diplomatic people I have come across in some time. I would have gone postal on this tool long before! I think you handled it very well. The only way the outcome could have been better was if you refunded his $$ and got the kit back, thus preventing a moronic f***ing tool from driving around in a car that has great potential to do harm to others (him, we are not worried about, that would just be one more example of how right Charles Darwin really was).
    If you had parts for my ride, I would not hesitate to do business with you, as the correspondence proves that you know your business, and are more than willing to work with the customer to resolve any issues.
    You sir, deserve a fricking medal for not going off like a bottled rocket on this dumbass.........

James

10. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

Hopefully he will tell anyone who will listen to him to not buy from you.
    Anyone that would listen to him you don't want calling you.
    Anyone else you would want calling, will listen to him and figure you must be stand up.
    This is how I see and do things, but I always make sure I am stand up and take the high road.

Wil
    www.ridefree.com California Tours
    www.sakowskimotors.com

p.s. I hope the spacers are not copper! And he should just have a bus pass.

11. RodStRace

RodStRace

Why can't people like this get a big "L" branded on the forehead so we can spot them easier?

12. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

I agree with this one whole heartedly, if you are nice and pleasant to do business with you most likely have a nice circle or group of friends, if you are seismically unstable from the neck up then most likely you have the same kind of friends, it holds perfectly true, if your'e bonkers who the hell is gonna hang with you but other people who are bonkers, who would want a stable of bonkers customers? Not I .

13. 6inarow

6inarow

14. olddaddy

olddaddy

Gents,

thanks for making me feel like I did ok, I'm proud to be one of you. The guy is a HAMBer, at least he says he is......and I think he lives in Montana someplace. Keep an eye out for a 36 Plymouth bearing down on you real fast and not stopping, it will be him......and it won't be my fault...........

my site is www.rustyhope.com

and yes, it is a little odd to sell disc brakes to guys building traditional hotrods....but stopping after going is traditional, right?

15. 6inarow

6inarow

Hey, I dont have a problem with discs. I think they are great. I dont apologize for wanting to stop. too many idiots like the guy who bought your kit on the road.

16. gojubill

gojubill
    from palmbay fl

You did right ! The old saying goes the one that yells the
    loudest know's the less ! I just hope the guy stays in the
    woods and not on the road ( redneck rocket science) .
    Like the man said a few notes up ( you can't fix stupid )
    :?) my hats off to you. Keep the great work up!

17. daddyo23

daddyo23

I put one of your kits on my ride and the instructions were very clear and simple. I'm not an ace mechanic but it only took a Saturday morning and I had discs. Very nice setup and my car stops like it should. Thanks Charlie.
    Wayne P.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Maybe .....

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502832&highlight=36+plymouth

19. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

Just maybe Blue One! Guess vintage glass is easier to understand than disc brakes?

20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I think we have a positive ID. Anyone in his general area, beware of a 36 Plymouth death trap, dangerous to him and all around him :D

21. coolbreeze1340

coolbreeze1340
    from Indiana

Wow, great customer service. What's the saying? "some people are like slinkys.......

22. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

yep. :D

23. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

WHAT? OLDDADDY you werent sitting and waiting for his emails? (jk). To me I have found it easier to explain things like this the old fashion way, a phone call? Some people do not know how to improvise and make things work, its never a easy instal and sometimes you have to use your head and thats what makes it fun. It sounds like this guy would have a hard time with a peel and stick installation. You did right.

24. Never2low

Never2low

OUCH! I was really hoping he wasn't on here. Someone should PM him this link:D:p:rolleyes:
    Where's germ when you need him?

25. hkestes

hkestes

I installed one of Olddaddy's kits on my 48 Plymouth and must say it didn't go well at all. Followed his instructions and everything, still broke 2 high dollar drill bits. :rolleyes:

Took me two days to complete the install because the worthless NAPA store was closed when I broke the first bit that was listed in Olddaddy's instructions and had to wait until the next day.

Car stops great now though. :D

26. philo426

philo426

What I fail to understand is his refusal to send the spindles so you can see exactly what the problem is and correct it!You have been more than fair and most companies would not even respond to his E-mails in such a timely manner.Telling you than your brake kits"Suck" and failing to listen to your explanation is an indication of the guys foolish stubborness.

27. olddaddy

olddaddy

Well, breaking drill bits is not exactly the fault of my kit, but it looks like it worked out once the worthless Napa store got open for you. The thing with the guy's spindles is that I know exactly what is wrong, they are too small. Patting myself on the back a little bit more, I am certain no one makes the effort I do because I've dealt with all of them before and after I started making my kits. The quality of another kit on the market and the related support for the kit is what made me start producing my own. In fifteen years I have only had one kit returned to me and it wasn't because the thing didn't fit, the guy simply realized he could not do the install and gave up. He explained the situation and I gave him a refund, he didn't fault the kit for his inability. And another thing, I am a car guy. I've wrenched on cars, trucks, tractors, boats, and motorcycle and I do it because I love doing it. I learned from my Father and my uncles, I watched them growing up. I watched my Dad go out of his way to help people long after he had any obligation to do so, that's just the way he was made. I do the same because I am just like him.

28. Big_John

Big_John
    from Upstate NY

I think I would send him a registered letter with a check and a UPS return label. This guy is nothing but trouble and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

You've done nothing wrong, but its time to cover your ass.

29. hkestes

hkestes

Yeah, I love my discs and have referred several people to your website. Other than breaking the drill bits which I am sure was operator error the whole process was really a piece of cake.

Now no more trying to adjust the shoes without one of the Ammco tools and no more pulling to the right when I hit the brakes. All in all a very well put together and affordable set up. Just wish I had known about it before putting all new cylinders, shoes and lines on it to begin with.

30. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

I knew the story was going to be a good one the minute his email said he didnt know what peening was...........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.