Register now to get rid of these ads!

Recommendation for Front End Mask (bra)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kbuhagiar, Aug 28, 2010.

1. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Hello Folks,

Can anyone recommend a supplier for a front end mask (bra) for my 47 Plymouth?
    The only company I know of so far is Wardlow Custom Masks; has anyone had any experience with them?

Thanks.

2. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

3M makes a product that they apply to the car, its clear, and you can only tell at the edge if you run your fingernail up against it. Its a hard plastic film that can be applied to a painted curved surface. I see lots of HIGH END cars get them right off the show room floor. I had a friend who got it done on his car, and it caught a rock. Made a white star on the film, removed the film and the paint was perfect underneath.

Kinda pricey stuff, but guaranteed not to haze, yellow, etc...

3. t-town-track-t

t-town-track-t
    from Tulsa

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. mastadon

mastadon

I work at one of those high end dealers and see this stuff on a daily basis.After a couple of years it will haze up and yellow.If your that worried about your paint then keep your car in the garage:rolleyes:

5. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

Hey mastadon - Really? That's your best advice?

I plan on doing lots of driving but I have a ton of crappy gravel roads near my house - in fact, the entire state of California is one big friggin' pothole - but apparently I'm violating some sort of hot rod ethic because I want to save the paint job on my car? :confused:

Give me a break.

6. kbuhagiar

kbuhagiar

t-town-track-t, I appreciate the recommendation.

Actually, I'm still leaning toward the more traditional front end mask, as I have no problems with putting it on before a long road trip and removing it immediately after. But thanks anyway for the info.

7. metalman

metalman

Don't you know a car with a bra doesn't have any balls?:p

Seriously, be aware that bras often do more harm then good. Absolutely important there is no dirt/ dust or anything on the car or the inside of the bra when you put it on. A little dust will work as sandpaper againt the paint as the bra moves around as you drive. Here in the dusty desert I've seen bras wear the paint down to primer.

8. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've ran bras on several cars and my experience that they may keep some of the chips away but they tend to dull the paint and act like a very fine sandpaper under the bra area.

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

+1. It's the same reason you don't trailer with a car cover. Props for wanting to drive your car, but if the paint is going to get damaged regardless then you might as well go the route that prevents you from looking like a dork.

You'd be better off spending the money on re-clearing your car so that scratches and small nicks can be buffed out later

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Wear your chips with pride :)