Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage ** 2nd Annual Starliner, WICHITA, Sept. 10 & 11, 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by straykatkustoms, Aug 26, 2010.

1. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Stray Kat Kustoms will be hosting the 4th annual Starliner on September 7 & 8, 2012
    at the Kansas Aviation Museum.

[​IMG]

This is the perfect place to host the show because aviation is a big part of Wichita and
    it is a kool back drop for the show. The building was built in the early ‘40s and is a kool
    art deco structure.

Please go to their web site below to checkout the museum.

www.kansasaviationmuseum.org

Last year was our first year and in the threat of rain we had 187 entries not bad for the first year.
    To get an idea who was there checkout this You Tube video….

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdOe6mjtMmE

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The show will begin on Friday (09/07/12) and we will be doing a Garage Krawl to visit some
    Of the koolest Hot Rod and Kustom shops in the Wichita area. We will be
    visiting some of the guys that are keeping Kustoms and Hot Rods a rolling.

Saturday we will be at the Kansas Aviation Museum. This is the perfect place to host the
    show because aviation is a big part of Wichita and it is a kool back drop for the show. The
    building was built in the early ‘40s and is a kool art deco structure. We will be parking among
    the planes which will make a kool photo op.

Why Wichita?

1981 was the first year that I really started doing the car show thing. My third show was
    the Kustom Kemps of America’s Lead Sled Spectacular in Wichita. We drove up early
    Saturday morning and we were planning on spending the night at the host hotel but
    because I was only 18, they would not let me check in to my room. Not knowing anyone
    there, we just hung out in the parking lot at the hotel. We stayed as long as we could and
    then drove the three hours back home. Even though it was only for one day we had a
    blast! I had only seen one chopped Mercury before and it was at an indoor car show at
    the Starbird show in Tulsa. This was the first time I got to see a Mercurys and kustoms in
    motion. They are kool sitting still but when you get to experience them driving around town,
    whoa, look out. Watching a Kustom a cruising is a whole different experience.

That weekend I was introduced to the important role that Wichita played in the Kustom
    and Hot Rod history. Can you imagine how kool it would have been to see Dave Stucky
    crusing Douglas in the Little Koffin. I love to hear the stories of those days.

My late 50’s experience didn’t really start until the early 80s. Kustoms like Hub Harness
    ’59 El Camino, Doug Reeds ’50 Olds “aka Toad” and Johnny Hammond’s timeless ’58 Chevy
    Impala. I know that I’m leaving some of the kustoms that started it for me out but what
    a list. These guys introduced me to kustoms and that kool Wichita Style. The Kool thing
    is they are still kruzing the streets today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look at the mild kustoms above they're all about the profile.

Wouldn’t it have been kool to live in Wichita when, Starbird, Cushenberrry, Stucky, Farner,
    Eldon Titus and Carl Green were building some wild kustoms and kruzing the streets. Since
    that day Wichita has not slowed down. Guys are still building them today and still doing their
    part keeping the Kustom and Hot Rods alive in Wichita. I’ve been blessed over the years to
    build relationships with a lot of koool people in the area and felt like Wichita should host a
    Kustom and Hot Rod event. Like every other town in the USA they’re too many car shows
    but I feel like they’re not enough kool ones. Wichita has a kool show in the Delano district
    but other then that one, not another show for the Kustom and Hot Rod enthuists.

The guys that I mentioned above influenced my foundation on what is kool and I’m very
    thankful that I was exposed to this legendary Wichita style. Today we have guys in the
    area (Jeff Meyers to name one) that are building kool Kustoms and Hot Rods that are influencing
    the younger crowd. I want to spot light some of the legendary builders and show them
    what they started years ago is still alive today and make sure that Kool will never go out
    of style.

If you have any questions just let me know. If I don't know the answer, I'll ask Jack...

Happy Trails,

Mick

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  2. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Planning on making it Mick. Last years was a great time, may try to do Friday night as well this year.

3. BigFinCad

BigFinCad

Hey Mick,
    Great post. Just wanted to let you know we will be there again this year. What a great show and a great time. Reminds me of the old days in Ft Smith. This year we will probably bring about seven or eight other club members from the Lonely Knights. Look forward to seeing you.

Big Rich

4. Primered Forever

Primered Forever
    from Joplin,MO

We will be there again! Had a great time last year!! There will be a few of us from Joplin heading over the morning of the 10th. See you then.

5. 49toad

49toad

Mick. Sent my entry in today. The Toad will be there.

6. gonmad

gonmad

Ehhh, we may show up........! Lol!

Johnny's car is awesome! Jacks place is a blast and whoknows what will happen when the knuckle draggers invade Wichita!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  7. gonmad

gonmad

The open houses are awesome, there is all kinds of "fins" at the show, getting in the tower is pretty cool too! Even dancin' with the Rumblejets!

Attached Files:

8. Jeff and I had a good time last year. The museum is very cool. Mickey puts on a good show.

9. PasoJohn

PasoJohn
    from Edina,Mn.

I'M THINKING ABOUT DRIVING DOWN FROM NINNEsnowTA,
    LOOKS GREAT AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE EVERYONE.

Moriarity likes this.
  10. "Doc" Parsons

"Doc" Parsons

Mick
    Suzy gets out of the hospital tomorrow so if at all possible we will be there!
    "Doc"

11. McPhail

McPhail

I will be there.........................

12. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[QUOTE="Doc" Parsons;5583929]Mick
    Suzy gets out of the hospital tomorrow so if at all possible we will be there!
    "Doc"[/QUOTE]
    I've been praying for ya guys and I hope that everything is going ok....

Thanks guys for all of the kind words, last year was our first and I thought that it turned
    out kool.. Hopefully ya guys can make the trip. One of the cars that wasn't here last
    year was Jerry Titus '54 Buick. We saw this a month ago and talked them and they said
    that they would bring it to the show. Very Kool!! Do you remember the Buick? True
    Spokes with an agressive rake and the tires sticking pass the fender wells. Oh does this
    bring back the high school memories.

Below is the article when it was in Street Rodder magazine.... I'll post current pictures
    when I figure a way to get them off of my phone. Today the Buick still has the 8 track
    and the CB radio and it is all for sale.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'll be posting more info later, if ya need anything just give me a hollar or just post them
    on the HAMB...

Happy Trails,

Mick

13. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Last year was a great time Mick. Hope to see you again this year. Gary

14. Racewriter

Racewriter

What's the model year cutoff for cars?

15. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Gary, it was Kool when you drove up last year. Renee will be driving up in the
    Tahoe so if ya need some parts delivered I'm ready for ya this year. Ha, ha, ha.

Same as the Stray Kat 500 in Dewey, I have a posted pre- 64 cut off, That just keeps us
    from being over ran with late models. Last year we had a early eighties Chevy pick up
    show up and it had a lot of kool kustom stuff done. The 59 Chevy dash looked good in
    the pickup.

The Starliner is designed for Kustoms and Hot Rods pre -64. If ya want to come hang
    with us that would be kool... 95% of our entires will be pre 64 Kustoms and Hot Rods....

Happy Trails,

Mick

16. RICKY MCGREGOR

RICKY MCGREGOR
    from wichita ks

BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE THEREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Mick puts no a great show .

17. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Rick your suposed to wear some kind of ear protection when ya drive your dragster

HEY RICK, YOUR SUPPOSED TO WEAR SOME KIND OF EAR PROTECTION WHEN YOUR RUNNING YOUR DRAGSTER. LOL!

Happy Trails,

Mick

18. bscottstudio

bscottstudio
    from Kansas

Another grest time is a coming.
    Hey Mick I got some stuff or idea coming to you shortly

19. JOHNNYSCAT

JOHNNYSCAT
    from Kansas

20. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll give ya a call and I will email what I've been working on.

Kool! We were talking about your sled the other night. It was all good...

I've had guys asking about hotel info.

The hotel info

“Host”
    Comfort Inn South
    (316) 522-1800
    4849 S. Laura ,
    WICHITA, KS 67216

America Inn Express
    WICHITA-SOUTH
    (316) 529-4848
    4848 S. LAURA STREET
    WICHITA, KS 67216

Days Inn & Suites
    (316) 524-4400
    4875 South Laura Street
    Wichita, KS, 67216

If ya guys need anything else just let me know...

Happy Trails, Mick

21. Theres a new Hampton Inn here in Derby. It's in a good area and would be a short trip to the base. (just a thought for another option for the out-of-towners)

Edit: But this may not be my place to suggest so sorry if I'm steppin on somebody else's groove. :eek:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  22. whamoman

whamoman
    from USA

Hey Mick,
    Can't wait.... Probably hook up with you at Stuckey's, See ya Friday.
    Carl

23. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the suggestion I don't know about anybody else but my toes arn't sore..

Hey Carl,

Kool to see ya on the HAMB.
    Stuckey's place is so kool Look forward to seeing ya guys again.

Happy Trails,

Mick

24. RICKY MCGREGOR

RICKY MCGREGOR
    from wichita ks

What?

25. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ha, ha, ha,.... I should have known better to try to get one up on a McGregor...

26. triumphtony

triumphtony

Hey Mick
    I am so glad you do this every year for my B-DAY. I know you made up the other story as a cover:D
    see ya soon

27. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Tony, now everyone knows the truth.... You should have sent this via pm. LOL!!

28. triumphtony

triumphtony

CRAP!!! sorry I did not think about that.:D:D

29. gary mundy

gary mundy
    from Kansas

Mick,was planning on driving the willy up there but the boss says the buick has air , so my plans went out the window. You know how that goes. I went to salvage yard to get a pair of 48 olds front fenders for my 48 chevy areo sedan today. Hopefully they will look good on it with a little bit of work.may see you this weekend