Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Project X

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostn51, Jan 29, 2010.

1. codeblu

codeblu

While I too prefer earlier versions of Project X, the whole purpose of the car was to EVOLVE with changing trends in hot rodding.

2. HELLBILLY

HELLBILLY

LOL I got one of those! They were giving them out when you subscribed.

3. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I am thinking more down the lines of "Lucky Bastard" myself!! LOL

4. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I am going to get a hold of JimA and see if he still has the frame from Project X and if he does I want to see what it looks like and if possible buy the thing if its fixable. I heard it was a little worse for wear thats the reason it was swapped out but hell if you saw what my 51 looked like before I started on it you would know I could damn near fix anything. I might not be as good as Jim Sibley (you can give him a bucket of rust and a steering wheel and he will be driving it in 6 months) but I bet I can get close. :D

I just think it would be the shit to have the original frame from the car under mine!!

5. c57heaven

c57heaven

6. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

Heres a few i found :).

Attached Files:

7. [​IMG]

An early shot with injectors.

8. Raunchy

Raunchy

I totally agree with Chevrolet150. You are gonna have to pick a time period as to how you are gonna build it. I remember how the car changed in the magazine, sometimes good to sometimes not so good. I loved the articles. Hated to see it morphed up by GM. There could probably be 50 clones and none of em the same and ALL still be correct.

9. For what it's worth,I probably have all popular Hotroddings mags on PROJECT X.
    The 57 looked the best in Hollywood Knights.
    It should have been restored to that former glory, and GM should have chose a 2nd 57 to show what could be,What another yellow 57.
    I have a 57 post that I'm in the process in the tribute to Project X of Hollywood Knights.
    But that's my thought.

10. ripsrides

ripsrides

yeah hollywood knights my favorite heres some old pics of my copy. I cant find one when it was together with blower jusy cant beat a yellow 57

Attached Files:

11. JAWS

JAWS

Got the mag with that on the cover in the shop. One of my very favorites.

F U gm for messing up an icon.

12. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

project X with the 4 link - 1988 [?]
    maple grove scs next to my buddy's convert
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and the yuppie/mobile
    [​IMG]

13. Muttley

Muttley

I wonder how much flak they have taken from people with good taste over what that car was subjected too?

14. JAWS

JAWS

Muttley, I doubt it will be enough to return it to glory. We are just gonna have to live with it all f'd up.

15. BOWTIESR2

BOWTIESR2
    from GREELEY CO

Its a shame that they could f---k up such an icon in hotrodding history have followed the progress of it from the early 70"s always loved that car till gm got there hands on it...................

16. While Project X has always been a rolling testbed with some modifications better than others, they really destroyed it on this latest build. Nobody can fault the quality of the workmanship but they should have started with a 2011 Camaro if they wanted to do this bullshit to it. And to think I hated when they put the 4 link in it and lowered it with the too small rear tires. Who knew it could get this bad. The only hope for the car now is if the traditional builds stay popular long enough, maybe the car will go full circle but I ain't holding my breath. Wouldn't it be cool to see it in an issue where they cut the vette suspension out of it and donate the wheels & tires to some street rodder. At least I got all the old PHR's to flip through to get my fix.

17. I was just reading a 60s Popular Hot Rod mag with Project X and was wondering what was on HAMB about it..

What did they do to Project X?

Back then it was every kids dream car..

18. pitts64 the above pic is what they did to badest ass badass 57 ..yeah thats the same car

19. Oh man, what a drag.... It could still be put back the way it once was...

20. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

the YUPPIE MOBILE
    the best was Johnny Hunkins defending the style

21. Martino

Martino

Loved that car in Holly Wood Knights !!!!

22. leroys85coupe

leroys85coupe
    from usa

musta decided to try and make it a bel air by adding the 1/4 fins and inserts

23. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

If GM would have started with any other '57 Chevy, I'd say that was one of my top 5 favorite '57's. On it's own that's a sweet ride. But they never should have touched such an icon. Like it's been said, the whole theme behind that car since Popular Hot Rodding bought it in '65, has always been about changing with the latest fads, so we just have to ride it out until we see what the next incarnation will be.

24. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Now I just gotta make the decal for the sides.

[​IMG]

chriseakin likes this.
  25. ottos

ottos

my project x story is real quick i saw it being towed down the 91 freeway in orange. ..took a quick pic...:cool:

Attached Files:

26. Poor car...

I wonder what happened to the old quarter panels... like, if they welded just the patch in, or the whole damn thing.

I'd love to have them for my '57.

Sam

27. YEARS ago, me and a buddy stumbled onto them filming that car in North Hollywood for that movie around 3-4AM

28. Kensey

Kensey
    from Pittsburgh

That is truly one of the cars that fueled my spirit when I was but a mere child. Also why I will always have a crush on M. Phifer.

29. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

my guess is that there are alot fewer of us than the average car guy that would like the big wheels protouring look,,they are told that this is cool and they buy it..we on the other hand DONT... im sure there are those that like the early project x..i like the hollywood knights car,,,even though its hamb friendly ..

30. its funny i built one of these as an homage to project x also

if any one is interested the new annual issue of chevy classics magazine has a article init called x-rated memmories it shows the issues of pop hotrodiing that cover the "life" of project x says on the cover to display till oct 2011