Register now to get rid of these ads!

Blacktop Nationals Wichita, Ks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seesko, Aug 24, 2010.

1. This weekend.

2. sk8ncruz

sk8ncruz
    from pratt, ks

anybody going??
    keep seeing comercials on tv, any input??
    worth the trip or waste of time........

3. travisfromkansas

travisfromkansas

I'm going down from around Salina, but not taking either of my rides, just going to hang out and shoot pics.

I will be at the Starliner on Sept. 11th in Wichita at the Kansas Aviation Museum. :)
    Killer show that you should not miss!

4. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I'm taking a 1960 Mercedes Benz to the show for the KAM.

5. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I thinkfor around here 3-4 days may be a little much. I don't think many of the Marauders are going from Mulvane.

6. McPhail

McPhail

I'm not going........

7. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

As I understand, Ford Motors dropped out as event sponsor and the State of Kansas was blocking the auction. The organizers are still looking for volunteers from local car clubs.

However, they are still running ads like crazy on TV and radio. So.... I don't know what's gonna happen. I'm not going, that's for sure.

I hope if it all goes bad it doesn't blow back in the faces of other car people here in town if they try to do something with the City again...

8. r-man

r-man
    from Derby KS

I think the (heads) of the deal dont have a clue. I have heard alot of good and bad so who knows. I think having things so scattered all over is bad deal. Just my 2 cents worth. Looking forward to the Starliner Show!

9. I will be in the shop !!! >>>>.

10. SchlottyD

SchlottyD

Probably not going, shit is too scattered out and needs to be in one area where everything is within walking distance. The Starliner show is sounding pretty sweet though, weather should be nice by then as well.

11. low-n-slo54

low-n-slo54

I was out there today to drop off a '60 Mercedes and an airplane for the KAM. We went to where we were supposed to only to have to drive around the block to go some where else. Then when we got inside they didn't give us enough room to set up our displays. To much for first timers I think.

12. They need to talk to some veteran car event planners/people. There's a few out there. Hope it pans out for Wichita.

13. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Not going. Not my type of show and activities.

14. sodas38

sodas38

It's a first year event and you're already writing it off? I'm confused. Any promotion for a car event/show in Wichita seems like a good idea to me. It may take a few years to get all the bugs worked out and the feedback to take affect (provided those that run the show realize this is important to success), but to write it off before its even started seems off base to me. I think I will reserve judgement till I get to see what it's all about.

15. 33willysgasr

33willysgasr

Plannin on going to the nostalgia drags part of it saturday night at kidragway!

16. McPhail

McPhail

I'm not going........................

17. So how do they define nostalgia drags?

For the record, I'm with McPhail on this one.

18. chicken

chicken
    from Kansas

As far as I've been able to figure.......the "nostalgia" part of the Saturday racing at KID has been very poorly publicized,is just an addition to an already thrown-together program and will likely be pretty disappointing if history repeats. I hope I'm wrong but this season at KID I've seen very little information given in a timely manner. Too bad because I loved the place when it was WIR.
    I'm with Kerry and McPhail.

chicken

19. Old F.A.R.T.

Old F.A.R.T.

I'm coming down...NO car...just to check it out...could be alot of fun if organized right

20. Butch M

Butch M

Just going to check it out. no car

21. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Apparently they cancelled the flat track bikes at 81 Speedway...
    I guess some Fords showed up, don't know if FoMoCo showed yet.
    As for the rest, it ain't over 'til Sunday night.

22. grandet23

grandet23

BUTCH, Why no car?? I was hoping to see your green 56... I didn't see it at the show so I went to the track but no Butch... After seeing build pics its would be nice to see the car completed. Good luck and we hope to see it soon..

23. Heck it's worth it just to drag Douglas, Hit the Nuway and go to the drag strip. :)
    We ain't got no Drag strip just north of town here in "Land of Favre":(:D

24. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I drove the '31 Ford out to KID and made a couple of passes. Better turn out than what I expected. I met Lucky3 and checked out his cool ol' Chevy drag truck. Jim Davies was there with his '50 Stude gasser truck, too. Several other HAMB friendly cars were there racing, such as a flathead roadster and a coupe bodied dragster from Toronto, KS.

25. I'm glad it turned out as well as it did but after last weekend's HAMB Drags it just seemed anti-climactic.

26. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Yeah, there's no comparison. But then, is there another race anywhere that could equal the HAMB Drags?