Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pontiac/Olds Rearend TECH...post it here...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ruiner, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Ruiner

Ruiner

I think Rob was just refering to the problem some guys have with people running too wide of rearends on the backs of A's...some people like them wide enough to give you a gap between body and tire, others like em to be a snug fit...personally, I like the 49"-52" width rears for A's, depending on wheel/tire combo and build style...

2. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

49"-52" is from axle flange or wheel mounting face or...?

3. Yes, I was trying to clear up a common problem when choosing a rearend for a Model A. 49" from inside backing plate to inside backing plate an early '70's Ford Maverick V8 with 5 lugs works best. No narrowing involved. A Mustang rearend will put your wheels out too far and will look goofy if you run fenders.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  4. Dr. Frankensickle

Dr. Frankensickle
    from Kansas

Very useful thread,I Need a set of 2.56 gears for a 57-64 olds pont. rearend PM me if ya got a set of good ones Thank you

5. Smokin' Joe

Smokin' Joe
    Member Emeritus

I have a nearly complete rear end (minus the calipers) that I had in my '23 T Altered that I'd sell if anybody's interested. If so, PM me or email me at [email protected]
    I was gonna use it in an FED project, I just have way too many projects goin' on right now and I could use the ca$h. It's got 2 sets of gears, a brand new set of 4.10's and I believe there's also a set of 5.56's, I'll have to check. It's got a Strange spool in it.

6. I was wondering if someone could decode the numbers on my axle as well. The numbers are 501828 and C299. Thanks.

7. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Hey guys, I just put axle seals in my '57 Pontiac rear, and used National part no. 470059, which fit perfectly. Advance Auto was able to order them for me.

8. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I see Autozone still has bearings and shoes, no cylinders but kits are easy to find

I took a different route and had late ('85) F150 ends grafted on my '57 housing
    and ordered Dutchman axles to fit the 31 spline posi

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Fusick has most all the bearings and brakes covered for the Olds rears

makes me wonder why I went with the Ford stuff..

10. Ok, I'm still confused. Follow me here. Front engine dragster, what would be the carrier and housing that I should be looking for? Which one is the strongest carrier, biggest bearings, strongest housing, etc...

11. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Any housing, and ends, will do; most replace the ends with Ford to get bearings easier/cheaper. The third member should be the "3 rib"; all 3 ribs are the same size, as opposed to the earlier with a large, sweeping, rib. Even the early is fine for strenth; it's what was in my FED. I like the single piece carrier better, the other bolts together in two halves, and looks like the smaller version 55-64 Chevrolet Posi carrier. Spool for a drag car however, and using aftermarket axles. Butch/56sedandelivery.

12. STANLEY

STANLEY

Anyone know the O.D. of the rear uni cups from these Pontiac rears???
    If they are different it is a 61-64 Pontiac rear.

Thanks,
    Dave.

13. A 63 Buick LeSabre axle would be a different unit than the Poncho/Olds, right?

14. Yes, the Olds / Pontiac are different.

15. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Well...I got a year out of it! Last summer I cut some of the spring on the back side of the seal to make it tighter, but the old Leather Seal has finally given out. Anyone have a part number for a 10 spline 55-56 Pontiac Pinion Seal or have one or know where I could get one? Post it here or PMs. Thanks in Advance!

16. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Ed, I checked my Napa catalog, they only show bearings available. But California Pontiac Restoration shows them available. Bill

17. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Thanks Bill! I just went threw it last summer and put in new Axle Bearings, the Pinion nut had loosened & was making some whining on deceleration, We pulled it apart, checked the wear and everything was OK with the mesh on the Gears. I couldnt find a pinion seal, so we Just rigged the old one. Ill check California Pontiac, If they dont have it, I think its time to upgrade to a newer rear.....Newer like 57....

19. Pontiacres Ranch

Pontiacres Ranch

Well....I found an NOS Pinion Seal on E-Pay....Group Number 5.469 Part Number 514066. Not wanting to pay the 80.00 Buy it now, I googled the number and came up with an Oldsmobile Restoration Site ( www.fusick.com ) which carried the part number 514066 in their pdf catalog for a 48-52 Pinion Oil Seal. The Price was 20.00, when talking to them I was told that they had this seal manufactured for them. Time to go pull this 3rd member out again.....NOS Crush Sleeve on the way & this seal....gotta get this thing back on the Road, all the good fall shows are coming up.

20. i started a thread about finding them, but then thought this is where i should have posted it..in the olds tech thread...duh!!:eek:

looking for the rods/ears/forks or whatever theyare called that go in the ends of the brake wheel cylinders...looked at napa, rock auto and a few other places...called rock auto and they said if they sold them, they would be under brakes ..not to be found...

need two pair, both sets that came with my olds housing are pretty well worn out...maybe if i knew what to call them, i could hunt them better:rolleyes:

21. C/Gas55

C/Gas55

I bought mine from my local (not a major chain) auto parts store. I called them "pushrods" and the counter guy knew xactly what i meant. Then I handed him one of my old ones and he was able to mach them up. I think I paid $1 each or something real close to that.

22. i'll have to dig up my receipt on my olds housing...i had new axel bearings installed and it ended up being a ford truck bearing with the same specs...although it may be due to the Henry's axels in it...not sure...i also have the box that the pig gasket came in....and the axel seals...i'll post the numbers later this week..i have backing plate and axel gaskets coming from Rock Auto this week..and all the springs for the brakes too...wheel cylinders and shoes stock off the shelf at Auto Zone....good info from their site.....

http://rockauto.com/

23. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Yes, they do share the same axle bearing as the 9" on alot of models.

There are two differant end gaskets you'll need, one between backing plate and housing and one in between backing plate and bearing retainer. Also on my 55 there is another paper gasket that goes on the end of the axle between the brake drum. Here's a pair of the gaskets I scanned.

[​IMG]

24. these are the gaskets i ordered from Rock Auto yesterday...i have all the other gaskets n seals already installed....

There are two differant end gaskets you'll need, one between backing plate and housing and one in between backing plate and bearing retainer. Also on my 55 there is another paper gasket that goes on the end of the axle between the brake drum. Here's a pair of the gaskets I scanned.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

25. well they sent me a pair of the round gaskets...still needing to find the gasket on the left below...this is the one for the axel retaining cover,,,,can't make a pattern due to the bearings having already been installed...

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

26. 55chieftain

55chieftain

Either contact Fabcraft or copy my pic and resize it and make your own. Trace out the round gasket you have for the bolt pattern and inner circle than modify the outer to fit the shape of the axle retainer.

27. I found a way around buying the expensive aftermarket axles when using a 31 spline carrier in a 57-58 housing. Bought a pair of '61 Pontiac axle shafts [61-62s were the shortest 31 spline shafts] and had a buddy run the splines further up the axles...cut the ends off and viola!
    My buddy said he never wanted to do that job again. Cutting splines in the tapered shafts was a chore and as such he had to turn them down a little to cut the splines.
    Now, in all fairness, I never assembled the rear end as the entire project was sold off before assembly to finance a house project. Can think of no reason why it wouldn't work ok.
    Also, 56 and earlier third members will fit any 37-56 Pontiac housing. I put a 56 thirdmember in my original 41 pontiac coupe to get the road-friendly 3.23 gears. Also used a 56 thrid member in my 48 Pontiac for the same reason.worked just fine. The only change was to use one longer mounting bolt as the earlier carrier housings were a little different thickness at the one mounting bolt..a nuthin deal.
    I always use loc-tite on the Pontiac pinion nuts as they are known to work loose..happenned to me, a buddy and I see it's happened to several people here too.
    The 56 ONLY pinion flange will work on the earlier third members to give a common U-bolt-style universal joint. The 55 and earlier all used the farm-implement style "mechanics" u-joint which surprisingly is super easy and cheap to buy at an implement dealer...I found out while driving through Sprigfield Ohio...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2010
  28. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Ok here is the numbers on mine. 613261 L21 9(or an 8). HELP!

29. L21 9 translates to December 21, 1959 (or 1958 if it's an 8). Hope for 1959 because then it's a 31 spline rear.

30. Blacktop Graffiti

Blacktop Graffiti

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!