Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Immortals / Vintage Hammer Special at Bonneville pic's and new 4 banger record!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom Branch, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Tom Branch

Tom Branch

Hey guys, just thought I'd share some of our B-ville pic's and a brief report.

Fabian made a bunch of mod's to the bodywork on the rear engine roadster for SpeedWeek, but we were anxious to leave so some of the tinwork didn't get completely finished.

We ran 2 motors this year. The blown model A banger was in the car first with my wife Diana doing the driving. She made a total of 3 runs with a top speed of 118.9 mph. That run qualified her for a record and after her return run the next morning she ended up with a new V4F/BFRMR record at an average speed of 117.3 mph.

The clutch cable malfunctioned on the starting line, so all of Diana's runs ended up being made in high gear only. I think she might have been able to get a little more out of the banger if she had been able to go through all the gears, but overall we're happy with it's performance and her new record!

As soon as we were done running the banger we swapped in the blown 302 sbc and put Fabian behind the wheel. He only made 2 passes with a best speed of 167mph. That run actually qualified him for a record, but we decided to pass on impounding the car. The blower is new to this motor and we were not satisfied with the performance, still trying to get it dialed in. This motor has been over 200 unblown so it just didn't feel right to get a record with it blown in the 160's. We are going to change gear ratios and run El Mirage the rest of the season with this combo and hopefully get the bugs worked out of it.

Here's some pic's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The banger record holder. This motor holds 3 Bonneville records with the fastest being 138.2 mph in the Bean Bandit streamliner. Not bad for a stock crank with babbit and dippers!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking.

Tom Branch

2. Thats awesome news Tom! Hats off to all involved!

-Shiny

3. krusty40

krusty40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fabian - the new headrest fairing looks great! Is it in line with what "the committee" will recommend for the new rules? Our car is sold post-Speedweek so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Congrats on the record with the banger. vic (#325 D/GRMR)

4. mattfink

mattfink

Is the body fully aluminium??? Great craftsmanship. Congrats

5. Retroline

Retroline

Congrats on the record guys. That 4 banger is impressive. What internal mods?
    It's O.K if it's top secret.

6. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Nice going......you guys are the real deal......Doug

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  7. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Outstanding achievment.

Look forward to seeing it in a few weeks time........

[​IMG]

8. RUDOG

RUDOG

Congrats Tom, Diana, Fabian & the Vintage Hammer/Immortals Team! Wow!!

9. ChevyGirlRox

ChevyGirlRox
    from Ohio

That's great news, congrats Diana! It's good to see one banger survived (and thrived!) after all of the other Speedweek banger carnage we've seen on here.

10. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

That is awesome. That 4-banger is the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

11. Mike

Mike

Hey Tom, the new sheet metal on the car is bitchin', and that banger motor is just plain "old reliable", passed from car to car and setting a bunch of records along the way. Nice work, good on you guys.

12. Bitchen!! Congrats to Diana. Big ups to all of you guys and gal...

13. weez

weez

That's great! Exciting to see and hear about your efforts- Cool!

14. rick finch

rick finch

Bitchin'..........congrats to you all.

15. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Wow, cool, congrats to everybody.

16. Love it! You bastards are causing me to have a 'Bonneville Itch' that needs to be scratched . . . to the salt I will be headed!

I'd love to have that car for some of my engines - just looks to be some fantastic workmanship. I am always in awe of aluminum panel beaters :D

17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Hey Tom, Fabian, Diana, Thomas et all....great job was hoping you'd post something about your adventures. Car looks very cool and I'm glad you all were safe and sound. Sent you an email with my new address hit me up so we can catch up. Best to you all. Oh the '32 is safe in the garage, driven it around here a bit and it's awesome driving through the trees. Hope you guys can visit soon. But don't wait too long because I'm not "Immortal". ;) JB

18. Tom Branch

Tom Branch

Thanks for the replies everyone!

In response to a couple of the questions posted:

Yes, Fabian handformed the body including the roadster portion completely from sheet aluminum.

The model A banger is pretty much stock internally. It still has babbit bearings, dipper oiling and a stock crank. The valvetrain has been updated and we're running a light flywheel with a chevy clutch. We put this motor together cheap about 6 years ago and have run it in several cars. We're still waiting for it to blow up so we can build a better motor, but it won't die so we keep running it.

Thanks

Tom

19. brady1929

brady1929

congrats and great pics.

20. Congrats, that's quite an accomplishment you should be proud.

21. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Tom.

Well done on getting into the record books, just one of those freaky mills I guess.

I for one would love to see how you hooked up the banger to the Chev Scattershield.

22. HotRodFreak

HotRodFreak

You guys really ROCK?
    All true hot rodders!
    Hats off to lady Di...gotta love her.
    Rotten Russ in Frezzno.

23. speedtool

speedtool
    BANNED

Great looking racer - good job!

24. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

Congrats to all....Are you guys going to the Bones again this winter. Glad to see someone had some luck
    later Bill

25. flynstone

flynstone

good job ....thanks for the pics

26. Heros. wish i could of been there to witness it all in person

27. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Very nice. You guys are hardcore!

28. axle

axle
    from Drag City

Diana texted Celeste after she completed all of her runs and found out that she received the record in her class. Congrats to not only her but everything you guys do. Your team is indeed the real deal and makes it happen ! A & C

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  29. RustyRedRam

RustyRedRam

Congrats to you, Diana, and Fabian! Absolutely bitchin' Tom!

30. ditto to all that has been said previous, great to see Shug & Irene have competition:D

Cheers,

Drewfus