Register now to get rid of these ads!

My son needs help with the brakes 1950 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave K, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Dave K

Dave K

We got my son’s 1950 Chevy running and are ready to start planning the brake system.
    Going to run a dual master like in this thread
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=367041
    We upgraded the brakes to 1953 bendix style. Would like to replace all the hard lines but have many questions.

[​IMG]
    Looking at the stock brake line schematic it appears that unless we run custom lines we will wind up with one reservoir going to one front wheel and the other reservoir going to the other three wheels? I have seen people set it up this way. Am I missing something or is this less than ideal?

[​IMG]

Is there a thread with some pictures or info on making new lines?

Hope to bend our own brake lines. What size brake lines should we be using? What tools do we need to properly flare the lines?

Thanks for any help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks a little better than this now but still lots to do.

At least it runs now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1-B1bmRJus

2. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

You want to run both front brakes to one reservoir and the rear to the other. That way it will work, if you hooked it up the way that you were talking about and lost the rear brakes all you would have left was one front brake to stop with, a scary situation.

3. fbama73

fbama73

Use 3/16" lines. They will match up to your original (or better yet replacement) hoses. At least it's that way on a '51. And Fordcragar is absolutely right- front to one reservoir, rear to the other

4. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

The '50 should be running 1/4" lines , I would remove the rear supply line to that tee on the right frame rail and plug it
    Then run a parallel brake line from the master to the right frame rail and join the rear line
    For brake line sizing run 1/4" to feed the rear tee then 3/16" to each rear wheel cylinder
    The front circuit will depend what fits into your brake hose
    Any brass parts can be recycled (tees - banjo fittings) copper washers can be annealed for re-use
    for tools - tubing cutter, double flare kit, flare nut wrenches, tubing bender
    3/16" brake line can be bent without kinks to a degree but 1/4" line's gotta have a bender

What texashardcore's job to adapt that pedal pivot's is a great idea

5. Dave K

Dave K

Thanks guys.

Anyone have pictures or other info?

What kind and where can I get a good cheap tubing cutter, double flare kit?

Thanks

Dave

6. motion guru

motion guru
    from yacolt, wa

Not sure if you have the room - but the trucks of that era had the brake line routed up the rail to a -T- at the first front brake and a short tube to the hose to the brake drum and then the other line off the -T- ran forward, across the front cross member and then back along the rail to the next wheel location where it transitioned to a rubber hose to that drum.

By the time I added up the cost of a double flare tool, tubing, flare nuts, bla bla bla - Inline Tube looked pretty good. http://www.inlinetube.com/Preformed Lines/Web Line Listings/CF-CAT-02.htm