Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The History Of Los Angeles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Feb 15, 2010.

1. rseifer

rseifer

Don--I saw my first midget race at the Los Angeles Coliseum in 1946. The first races were on asphalt, and I believe all the races in '46 were flat and on asphalt. In 1947 or '48, they put up a board track, which was removable for other Coliseum events. I believe they ran only one or two years, and not after '48, but I never personally saw any races on the boards. TV was just coming in then, and I think some of the boardtrack racing was televised on the local stations. Ralph L. Seifer, Long Beach, California

2. rseifer

rseifer

Maz--If I'm not mistaken, that's Tom Hanlon with Dick Lane. Hanlon was on KNX after Steve Allen with The Midnight MerryGoRound. He was also on camera in as the announcer in a racing movie, I believe which included Mickey Rooney.

3. rseifer

rseifer

All these years and it's the first time I've ever seen Richard Petty without the shades.

4. rseifer

rseifer

Shelby and a partner (I think Lew Spencer) left the LaBrea location,they moved to El Segundo. The LaBrea location was just around the corner from where my folks lived while I was going to USC. There's a right jog onto Edgewood and that turns into Highland. Their shop was just on the radius of that jog.
    I never was in that store, but Shelby was there for a couple of years, as I recall.
    After the GT40s were finished racing, Shelby took over a showroom on Sepulveda which had been previously occupied by Ira Escobar Ford. Escobar had moved south to Manhattan Beach.
    I went in the showroom on one occasion, and they were almost giving away the cars.
    They were clapped out racers, and I don't recall the $4000 price someone mentioned earlier, but it was someplace in the vicinity of that figure.
    I had just unloaded a '62 Porsche that I bought new and obsessed and fussed over for years while living in an apartment, and what could I do with a race car with no bumpers, no A/C and the usual ailments??
    As Maz said, "Who knew???"

5. rseifer

rseifer

Just behind the parking lot, the partial view of a two story building and the cupola at the south corner shows the Los Angeles Examiner at 1111 South Broadway. I worked on the prep sports section at the Examiner from 1948 to 1951 when I graduated from Manual Arts. Worked there as a copyboy until I finished college in 1955 and got drafted. The building is still there, but I believe it has been vacant for years.

(I just took another look at that picture, and realized something more about it. Note the three people standing in the street. They're in a painted island in the middle of the northbound lanes, waiting for the electric streetcar. People boarded and disembarked from that island and never gave it a thought. I did that, too, when I was a kid. Now it looks so quaint, and you have to wonder why in hell nobody ever seemed to get nerfed three or four blocks down the road when they waited there for the trolley. After a while the local transport majordomos made a major "improvement" in pedestrian safety and modified the painted island by pouring 3-4 inches of concrete and I guess they figured the increased altitude made the would-be riders sufficiently visible to the onrushing cars. It was a different time back then.)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  6. Special Ed

Special Ed

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Thorne Engineering shop in Burbank, circa 1938. Joel Thorne was the heir to the Chase Bank & Pullman Railroad Car fortune....At the age of 10 he inherited the sum of $38 million after his father's death. (that's 38 mil Great Depression value!) Joel entered several Indy cars as an owner and he also drove and finished in the top 10 on a couple of occasions. The Land Speed Racer was built to one up the German Auto Union juggernaught, but the war got in the way and it never ran in anger.....Thorne was also a Hollywood movie stunt pilot, and was killed in a plane crash @ Burbank Airport in 1955 at the age of 41.

7. 29AVEE8

29AVEE8

Is the well dressed African American gentleman "Stretch" Saunders? I am sure that the curly headed number 8 in the T-Bird uniform is "jammer" Ralphie Valaderez. Where is Shirley Hardman and the Texas Outlaws?

8. Speaking of Joel Thorne....whenever I see or hear about Joel Thorne, I immediately think of Art Sparks. I've always considered Art Sparks to be a gen-u-ine American legend because from Hollywood to the Dry Lakes to Indy, he did it all and was successful to boot.The following images are scanned from my aged and yellowed copy of the July 1966 edition of Car Life Magazine. The article is written by the great Joe Scalzo and is filled with a veritable who's who of AAA, USAC, Dry Lakes, and even Hollywood legends. If you take the time to download the pix and read all ten pages you too will come away with a greater appreciation of a unique character and like I wrote earlier, a genuine American legend.

I'm sorry the images are so poor, the pages are quite yellow now...I hope it is still legible to you. If it doesn't read well on your monitors, try printing it out..I hope you enjoy it-All the best-W.S.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. continued....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well, I hope you enjoyed the LA based story of the legend of Art Sparks as written by another legend, the great Joe Scalzo. All the best-Mark

10. rseifer

rseifer

Bottom Line is I Don't Know. But I won't let that slow me down too much. In those years, almost all the car stuff was at the Pan Pacific.

11. 1952chevy

1952chevy
    from wilmington

Wilmington Ca, through out the years...

Attached Files:

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Fantastic story, Mark. Thanks for sharing that.

And thanks for starting this conversation about Thorne and Sparks, Ed. Good to see you back stirring the pot. And there's Earl Muntz popping up in the story, it's only fitting.

Especially like the story of Kelly Petillo winning at Mines Field with Tak Hirashima riding along as the mechanic. "Petillo had had to charge up from the back after a pit stop and flailed so hard that one of his elbows once struck poor Hirashima in the jaw, knocking him out for three laps."
    Poor Hirashima was probably leaning over checking a gauge. Great stuff.

13. 15ASedan

15ASedan

I found this in a box of photos as to the actual course:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011

14. Wow...I'm movin' to your neighborhood. That's awesome.

15. exprezdan

exprezdan

My name is Dan and I just noticed your posting although it was a long time ago. They DID have Board Track racing at both the Coliseum and the Rose Bowl. There is a book entitled "When the Coliseum Roared" that documents the racing there and I have a program from the Rose Bowl Board Track dated August 20, 9146.

16. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Dig the Bike Cops its "C.H.i.P.s" circa 1950 :D

17. Special Ed

Special Ed

18. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

"Bombs away":cool:

19. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Why's that guy wearing a hat and glasses like "Rob Halford" from "Judas Preist":p

20. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

No, the question should be, "why is Rob Halford from "Judas Priest" wearing a hat and glasses like this guy at MacArthur Park?"

21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

From left to right Walt Disney,Perry Beck(My Uncle) and Unknown man.They engineered the train to it's final resting place at the LA County Fairgrounds where it now resides at the train museum.

Attached Files:

• scan.jpg
      scan.jpg
      File size:
      225.3 KB
      Views:
  22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My wife,brother,sister in law and I in an old animal cage in Griffith Park.

Attached Files:

23. HotRod60F100

HotRod60F100

Ah..:eek: Maybe one of the kids in the boat is Rob LOL

24. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Forget the bikes, look how nice the 101 was, now it's all crappy like all the other freeways in SoCal. California Gold has become California Lead.:(

25. steveo3002

steveo3002
    from england

love this thread ..any more ??

26. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Nope...
    Also I've been looking for any picture of George Sutton Ford Dealership in Inglewood, Ca. as well, my A was purchased there in 31...

Good Luck...

27. 31fordV860

31fordV860

Ralph Valaderas of the Los Angeles T- Birds to Dick Lane's left on bottom row middle...

28. Hi!

Hi!
    from SoCal

Man this is a good thread. I roll thru alot of LA and boy has it changed. I would like to have grown up in old LA, it looked fun and open spaces every where.:D

29. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

[​IMG]
    What was left of Tony Capanna's Hot Rod City in the mid 80s
    Sepulveda Blvd
    Torrance, CA
    http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc7.html

In 1967 I went there to get a 1955? AH 100 drive shaft mated to a Chevy 4 speed. The AH cost me $550, the 327 and trans was $125 out of a junk yard and the drive shaft cost $20 for the machining.
    The place was bustling with hot rod shops and activity.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011