Register now to get rid of these ads!

Have You Ever Said No to a Magazine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HRod 50, Aug 12, 2010.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

You should have told them no because naked women is the work of the devil.

2. Plowboy

Plowboy

Actually, I didn't really have much choice in the matter. I was passed out.

3. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

Your car is a righteous custom. They put your righteous custom car in their mag. This particular mag features rods and customs. The other custom featured in the issue was voo doo larry's. Now his is a nice car, although a bit gaudy (the execution, not the work, and that is only my personal opinion, no offense). My point being the two custom cars in this issue are both righteous custom cars. I fail to see your point that they don't know what a REAL custom car is.

And please let me add this as this is where our mutual misunderstanding may lie...

A good buddy and I were talking last night about the quality of magazines. He insisted OSR is junk because the writing is junk. I honestly never thought about that side because I buy mags to see cars. I rarely read the articles as it gets quite boring. How many times can you embelish describing an engine/trans combo? The words are just plain boring since around 1962 as it has already been said a thousand times. That is (the caveat) unless there is interesting legitimate old time history to the car being featured, and then I'm interested in the words. These kinds of cars, however, are few and far between as most have either disappeared or already been featured if they're still around. I feel ALL the quality mags fail in keeping it fresh in their describing the typical 350/nailhead/hemi/rocket combo for the 40,1100th time. Well, except for The Rodders Journal. They rule and are the only mag I will read cover to cover several times per issue.

Now with that said, I think the photos in your feature are ok. The main shot may not feature the observatory, but it does have the Hollywood sign (which may not be cool to hipsters in L.A., but is to those of us on the right coast). They show your body mods, your fully upholstered trunk (which is really nice by the way), tastefully carpeted and uphostered floorboard and toeboard (nice there too, but I'd sew up some covers for those pedals, they kind of stand out), and a whore squatting (let's face it, people must want to see whores squatting in/on/around cars. like it or not, its a fact and we'll all have to get over it if we don't like it. they've been doing this since the little books.). But overall, a nice little feature. I mean, we can't all have our cars posed on the edge of a '50s swimming pool, or in front of some '50s mansion in L.A. like Grapevine. Killer shoot locations are hard to come by, especially when all the timeline, deadline, photog, car owner, lighting, whore schedule, stars have to align. And even then, the best posed shot with the best background may be ruined after development because a bird or a plane flew through the frame or the shadows were wrong or the sun was in the wrong place or "fill in the blank". There is only so much time able to be devoted to a shoot and you have to go with the best shots you get. It's a crapshoot (pun intended, lol).

The bottom line is we each have our own opinions which are obviously different. I honestly don't think it helps your case to make fun of my knowledge of customs by judging what's in my hamb photo album, lest someone pass the same judgement on your knowledge of customs based on your hamb photo album. I do find it quite ironic that your righteous custom merc appears in a mag you say has no idea what a true custom car is though. At least we can agree that their writing leaves a bit to be desired. However, I feel the OSR and CKD are currently in the midst of turning a corner by featuring a higher quality of cars. It helps that whatever the "rat rod" trend was is finally coming to an end. Whatever you feel the quality of those two mags are in general and writing quality aside, it could certainly and easily be argued that they've feature more truly righteous custom cars and traditional style hot rods in the last year than the (once) venerable Hot Rod mag. No hard feelings and no offense meant.

I hope this is not seen as more drama. I totally don't mean it to be. Just my honest feelings keeping it real by calling it like I see it.

4. OGNC

OGNC
    Member Emeritus

Being a magazine guy, you get turned down a lot more than you might think. But a lot of guys have reasons like they aren't done with the engine compartment or some other aspect of the car. And it is only going to be featured once, so it better be the way you want it when it gets shot.

5. Best line in the entire thread!

6. Well I dont see it as drama Terd,you bring up a lot of good points here.we do disagree and I see your point of me saying they are posers but they did feature my car.What im trying to say is that.... a car like mine that is a plain and simple period style(EARLY 50s) is just to plain and boring to them.If it was real flashy with all the current trends then it would of got a much better spread.They dont notice all the suttle mods that have been done to the car,to them it is a boring plain merc and I think the people who dig the magazine(no offense) are more into the current trends of todays customs not the trends of 1951.The writing is on my article is pretty funny,my friends bust my balls about it all the time.As far as making fun of your knowledge,it wasnt meant like that terd,I was talkin about teaching me about the current trends of customs which is what this publication loves. Thanks for the compliments on the car I appreciate that and I know you dont believe me but I dig you're truck.As far as covering my pedals I couldnt do that,that came a little later then the era im trying to capture. ;)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  7. RodStRace

RodStRace

and here? ;)

Attached Files:

8. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

That hit the nail right in the head. They dont get it and never will.

9. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

10. ags41dave

ags41dave
    from midwest

I was asked by a prominent well known speed shop to be on their catalog cover while at a show,the photographer insisted that I do a large burn out while coming straight at him in some street around the fairgrounds.I was not too inclined to do this having just repaired the motor from a dropped valve,and also a bit worried about trouble from all the law presant.I offered to do it at a race track at their coveniance but never heard from them,o well,Dave

11. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

I know you don't like the mags I sell my stuff to, but it's all opinion and Im cool with others seeing things different ways than I do. Beside with all this Hope and Change running amuck in our country, I'd sleep with the devil if their was a paycheck involved or shoot for Martha Stewart Living or Oprah Winfrey magazine!!!

Its the rudeness and arrogance that bothers me, not difference of opinion.

12. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Yup, I've approached some people and they were assholes trying to impress their friends, I knew who they were, they didn't know me, I hadn't even given them my name yet, I still know who they are. I wouldn't take a cell phone pic of their car since they are so arrogant.

13. No Mike, it is the EDITORIAL/Publishihers part of them I have an issue with. Your photos are always a high point!

Had company here this weekend, My Brother in law was here (city boy) and we ran through a couple binders of older CKD and OSR mags. And, for the record, I read both of the current issues at teh newstand tonight. Still too much crap but there was a nice amount of good substance.

I have 2500+ magazines from the 50s to present. A magazine better be good these days before I buy it at the rack. Signed, a reformed magazine addict.

14. Mike Honcho????

15. thehardway

thehardway
    from Missouri

Getting back to the original post......I would say go for it....Why would anyone turn down a mag that wants to feature their car??.....Unless they were ashamed of it...Hell I am damn proud of my cars and I would let them put it in a womens underwear mag if I was asked.....I don't give a shit who the mag is? My car speaks for itself.....Its a fucking real hot rod!!...And there is nothing traditional about it...I built it and I built it my way....And don't really care about anyone elses opinion.....I have watched this board sway back and forth..And it seems everyone hops on whatever band wagon is going that week....I mean If nobody here likes OSR or CCK mag, Then why do I keep seeing members cars Pop up from time to time? I was at the drags And had a Blast! and damn was it hot!!...I saw alot of cool hot rods,....I also saw alot of other really cool Rods.....I say "rods" as not to offend anyone here who might not Know what type of Rod they really have.....either way the drags kicked Ass....Most fun I have had all year.

P.S If you pass on the mag give them my number I will let them publish anyone of my cars..And be damn proud to see them in a nationwide mag