Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are turn signals required in Ca?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RODS37PONTIAC, Aug 22, 2010.

1. RODS37PONTIAC

RODS37PONTIAC

Turn signals first started in 1938 Buick's. Are they required in California for vintage cars or are they considered exempt?[​IMG]

2. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I don't think i'd drive in so cal without

3. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

And it was actually the 1939 buick that got them first...Mounted in the
    center of the truck lid no less Jim

4. RODS37PONTIAC

RODS37PONTIAC

What cars had the arm on that swung out to signal?

5. chota5

chota5
    from Nor Cal

You are required to SIGNAL, not have turn signals. Your left arm will sufice.

6. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Dunno about domestics, but know that the English Sunbeam Talbot 90's of the early 50's had those arms on both sides. They were called trafficators.

7. RODS37PONTIAC

RODS37PONTIAC

Thanks for sharing the knowledge.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Bugs

9. if it wasn't factory it's not required. but you must signal with your arm.

10. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

i do this when cops are around. otherwise they dont really pay any mind to oldie cars where i live unless you are being a total tard

11. big creep

big creep

yea the funny thing most people here in new cars fail to use them! i dont understand why?

12. James66g

James66g

HA! If they are required people here in Cali rarely if ever use em!

13. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

I've never had them on my '51, but I do actually signal the manual way. Not that I think anybody even knows what the fuck hand signals are, but just in case.

14. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

Right. Untill the idiot who's passing you on the shoulder, while you're making a right turn with your arm properly hung out the left window pointing up int correct "I'm turning right" position T-bones you. That's the reason I put signals on my Panhead.

15. The european cars that had them such as VWs called them semaphores, really kool little arms that lifted up and had a flashing light at the end.

16. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

cover your own ass . If you got ac , do you really want to crank the window every time you signal ? Pick out a nice custom pair.

17. Where I live most people don't use signals unless it's a one fingered salute,,they are to busy talking on a damn cell phone!:mad: HRP

18. zzford

zzford

Down here, it's rare to see anyone use their turnsignals... even the cops hardly use 'em. I tell folks that in Florida, if you buy a 20 year old car, chances are the turn signal switch has never been used. To me, it's just an example of sloppy driving.

19. aaggie

aaggie

Back in the '50s my Dad was in the Air Force and bought a '37 Fiat Topolino and it had the semaphore signal arms.

20. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

this is the answer, you are required to have the saftey items that came with your car from the factory this goes for several items

21. To answer the question;
    California Vehicle Code 24951<!-- #EndEditable -->. <!-- #BeginEditable "section_content" -->(a) Any vehicle may be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system capable of clearly indicating any intention to turn either to the right or to the left.<!-- #EndEditable -->
    <!-- #BeginEditable "addl_section_content" -->(b) The following vehicles shall be equipped with a lamp-type turn signal system meeting the requirements of this chapter.
    (1) Motor trucks, truck tractors, buses and passenger vehicles, other than motorcycles, manufactured and first registered on or after January 1, 1958.

22. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

How are you supposed to get ahead in life if everybody knows your next move!

23. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Remember that left and right turn exterior indicators must be at least 9 inches apart!

24. john walker

john walker

the VWs didn't flash. they just illuminated.

25. big creep

big creep

mine did! they had a mind of there own! sometimes they would come up, other times they didnt!

26. Cruiser

Cruiser

I wonder how many drivers out there today know what the arm signals mean and what they look like? There are just so many dumb drivers on the road toady. :D

CRUISER :cool:

27. Noname38

Noname38

I'm sure they think I'm the idiot with my arm out the window for no reason.

28. InPrimer

InPrimer

Tell you what, I use arm as well as turn signals, 'course I have a vert with no windows.. but as stated, in today's world most people drive with their heads up their ass..

29. 33-Chevy

33-Chevy

Look out in small towns anywhere because everybody is supposed to know where everybody else is going and they have no idea why you are sticking your hand out the window.

30. '46SuperDeluxe

'46SuperDeluxe
    from Clovis, CA

That's what I'm concerned with. The last time that I saw anybody give a hand signal had to have been 30 years ago, I knew what it meant but nobody else seemed to. Hand signals now amount to somebody waving you off at a 4 way because ya'll stopped at the same time...you go..., no you go, yer on my right, ...no you go! Hell I'm goin then...I am too...no stop, ok you go... dammit!