Register now to get rid of these ads!

T5 strength

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rodder29, May 14, 2009.

1. Toner283

Toner283

The S10 tranny's also have only a 1 inch input shaft, the v8 camaro has a 1 1/8 input shaft.(IIRC - Ernie will know for sure) That is the easiest way that i know of to visually tell them apart on the ground. The non WC trans has a smooth bearing retainer(?) face on the front of the trans below & to the side of the input shaft, the WC trans has lettering/markings on the retainer (not sure if this is the correct term).

As Ernie stated, the stock shifters are a big piece of shit. I changed mine to a B&M ripper shifter & it is a totally different trans now. They also do not tolerate shock load. Power shifting second & third will eventually break something, even with a WC trans.

One other thing to possibly look into is a T56 6 speed. they are only a little bigger but they are much stronger than even the strongest of the factory T5's. plus the added advantage of being able to run steep gears for fun at low speeds but still be able to pull down some gas mileage.

2. Snarl

Snarl

The difference in shaft diameter is just at the splines (14 vs. 26). The front bearings, etc... are the same.

To clarify, the visual difference is in reference to the front countershaft bearing, not to be confused with the input bearing retainer...

3. Toner283

Toner283

^^ Thanks

I have had a T5 with a 1 inch input shaft I was told was out of an S10. Maybe a 4 banger tranny?? Dunno but when it was beside a V8 Camaro trans it looked puny & weak.

4. edweird

edweird

some body please tell me if this combo will work.

5. pdq67

pdq67

You can buy Ford Top-Loader RUG OD trannys, but not with much OD gear spread tho.

And also a, "MOPAR/used in Chevy mid '80's P/U's", A833 OD 4-speed's but they have a real low 1st gear and are weak in 3rd gear if not mistaken.

One last way "Old-School" idea is to hunt up a Ford FE engine B-W 3-speed T85 OD tranny and go!! A good friend had one in his ordered new '64 Ford Galaxie 500XL fast-back with a 390" engine and an on the floor shifter.

And once he was egged on, he would beat hell out of it late Sat night dragging on the hwy back then. For a big car....

pdq67

6. Toner283

Toner283

For a land speed car or just a cruiser they will work excellent. the biggest enemy of the T5 is shock load (5000 rpm & sidestep the clutch = BOOM)

IMO, I would find a V8 Camaro/Firebird trans for peace of mind. it would not even have to be a WC trans, just one that used to live behind a V8.

They are a very good tranny, you just can't pound on them like you can a muncie or a T10.

7. edweird

edweird

thank you thats what i needed to hear.

8. jboss1965

jboss1965

I've been in the transmission business for the last 25 years and have alot of experience with T5's. If you want if one to live, number one: it needs to be a V8 unit. For a Camaro trans you want a 1352-212 or 213 ass# as this has the later Phosphated countergear...metallury is also better.This is used in the T5 Motorsport Ford boxes. In addition a billet counter brg support is a good part. The other things are a Cobra mainshaft upgrade (requires machining) and precise endplay spec's and good shifter. Setup as above the trans will handle 400-500hp sometimes 550. A big part of the equation is the chassis weight, and how well the car hooks up. If you have a 1900lb car and aren't runniing slicks and a four link your ok. If you have a blown 454 and a Caprice with 295 drag radials you got issues.
    It all depends on the details... even a realatively heavy 3700lb car can get by ok if the rest of the drivetrain isn't set on kill, a little clutch slip, tire slip and the transmission lives better. Most of the postings bely the common thought that T5 are junk. They are not. Even the alum forks are ok if you have a shifter with stops and are not using a 3 ft long shift handle....most broken 1-2 forks are found in S10's.. and they have a long shift handle. I do this for a living so if you need a unit built to go the distance let me know.
    Jeff

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  9. mustang6147

mustang6147
    from Kent, Ohio

I agree with Jboss...... In addition to what he says, The newer T-5 use a bearing setup, the older ones used a brass bushing set up. This is the name change between New World (with bearing) and Non-new world (brass bushing)

I also think if I remember correctly the Mustangs use the letter Z in there part number which bumps the torque load up over 350....

I am selling an 89 t-5 out of a s10. My honest opinion is it would be fine behind a flathead. It is a non NW. all s10s were in the 80's and 90's. They handle some beating

10. Deuces

Deuces

Got one behind a 460+hp 352W in my '91 Fox car... No problems yet that I know off...