Register now to get rid of these ads!

MIG Wire rant

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by shortbed65, Aug 22, 2010.

1. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

Any thoughts to correct this situation -- This .024" wire is spiraling out of the gun , it's funny ...when welding, not only do you have to follow the joint but also follow the wire as it jumps around a bit.
    The wire is Hobart HB28 - 10lb spool
    running .024 drive wheel - .024 contact tip - .035 liner

[​IMG]

2. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

sounds like your tip is shot....

mine doesn't do that unless it's plum wore out....then it'll walk all day.

OR you could hand straighten your 10lb spool of wire...:)

3. billys54

billys54

your tip is wore out or your wire speed is way to fast

4. the lights

the lights

how is the spool set up? like this o----- or, like this o____

5. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

It unreels underhand O___ I'm thinking it's defective - but there must be a way to rewind and straighten at the same time

6. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

I had this happen with a small roll of cheap .024" wire that had been sitting on a shelf for a while. I changed the tip and liner and it still did it. I swapped the wire for another roll of quality wire, and it worked fine. Not sure if the wire was affected by it's age, or if it was just defective because it was cheap, but it's the only time I've ever had that issue.

7. Hobart wire sucks! Ever thou it is a division of Miller. Buy some Miller wire and it will work well! ~ Had it happen to me!

8. Defective wire!!! I hate when welds go bad!:mad:

9. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

Looks like I'm not the only one... chalk this one up
    How about Radnor wire (Airgas)

10. jmthehermit

jmthehermit
    from Bath, Pa.

I ran Radnor wire thru my Miller and it worked great. Funny part is, I found it at HF and it was cheaper that at Airgas.

11. FlamedChevy

FlamedChevy

Check your feed rollers. If they are too tight it can cause wire to spiral. Also check the tip. Worn tips can cause wire to come out at an angle.

12. Fenders

Fenders

Sure if you shoot one or two feet out of the gun it will spiral, but I don't know how you can see any spiral with only 1/4 inch stickout....

13. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I've been having all sorts of problems with small spools of wire lately. Both .023 and .030. I'm not getting curling like that, but I'm getting kinks in the wire that stop everything. I was told by my welding supply that they no longer stock upper quality small spools because they can't compete on price with harbor freight. Any more I spend more work time clearing my machine than I do working...

14. Scarebird

Scarebird
    Alliance Vendor
    from ABQ, USA

kinda wondering the same thing... :confused:

15. gsport

gsport

beat me to it... same thoughts here hmmmmm

16. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

Even though the tip's 1/2" away from the work, sometimes the wire flips to the side off the beaten path, like veering off course, It's just more noticeable on 16ga butt welds than heavier stock
    Usually wire comes out to curl at that length , not spiral like the wire I have

17. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Over the last couple times I've gotten wire, it has been made in China, regardless of the brand. (I buy 33 lbs rolls) I have noticed the China wire rolls and is pretty inconsistent in diameter. It also smells different when it burns. Given the recent history of China products of all kinds, the next roll will be USA wire, even @ $.50 a lbs more money. It will be on the machine in a week or two, I will see if it makes a difference. For the record, this is with new tips, but then again, I think they are made in China as well. I'm growing tired of stuff that doesn't work right. Gene

18. 97

Underhand? Is it Australian wire? :D:D