Register now to get rid of these ads!

any painters out there can help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cody440, Aug 21, 2010.

1. cody440

cody440

Yesterday i sprayed a hood black but it needed to be a matte finish (6 pack hood) it was the first time spraying a flattening agent in a clear. Im not very impressed looked like an enamel job that chalked up over time. My debate is i was thinking of spraying the sides of my 49 matte and having a glossy roof with flake in it but if its gonna come out looking like s*** im not gonna do it. Anyone ever use the Kustom Shop Clear with the flattening agent already mixed and does it come out the same way. Looked for pictures but cant find any. Its gonna be base coat not the hot rod flatz. Anybody that can help thanks!

2. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I would have used single stage.

3. chevyshack

chevyshack

why not use a base coat clear coat? Just clear the top. Your top will shine and the bottom will be dull.

4. cody440

cody440

yeah thought of that i kind of have mixed feeling put alot of work into geting the car semi straight but shooting it black wont like great i have the black base already and i kinda has to be black for this car just how i feel just kinda still torn on the black being flat, dont want to hear everyone bashing it cause its flat black but whatever im pleasing myself

5. chevyshack

chevyshack

ive seen a few cars at shows where they painted the car and masked off flames and cleared only the flames. Looked very sharp. The car was satin color except the flames.

6. custompainter26

custompainter26
    from st louis

You have to clear over your basecoat, shinny or not. Base coat doesnt have anything to protect it from uv rays, clear coat does. If you want flat black I'd use single stage. Faster to apply than bc/cc and cheaper.

7. jerry325w

jerry325w
    from baltimore

you may have put too much flatner, tough to get just right, i use bc/cc, lesonal, by sikkens, and others sell a preflattened clear, i mix with reg clear about 4 parts to 6 for a nice fact look satin.

8. bbc 1957 gasser

bbc 1957 gasser

r/m sells a matte black single stage that is very nice its worth the money dont mess with flatteners they all suck ..

9. storm king

storm king

I'm really surprised at the number of auto body questions on the HAMB. There's another great NING out there called www.autobodystore.com that has a great forum for asking questions and getting help about all things paint and body related.

10. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Sounds to me like the flattener wasn'e shaken enough. If you don't have a shaker, run to Home Depot and have them shake it up for you. If the flattener isn't shaken right, it will chalk up right away after you shoot it.

11. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Im not impressed over the one shot semi gloss paint ,One time I repainted a hood 3 times ,Customer still isnt happy with it .You said the clear with flattening agent isnt that great either ,I would if you can just go gloss, I think Ryan hates bodywork and paint ,Usually when I post questions he thinks my posts suck

12. cody440

cody440

ha ill try not to post anymore about bodywork and paint and yea just base wont be a great in the long run without the uv protection and the flattening agent was all all the bottom mixed it real well. I guess maybe had the mix ratio wrong but i just started messing with it. thanks guys