Register now to get rid of these ads!

Some advice if you will...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JoeNational, Aug 21, 2010.

1. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

Need some advice.

As you can see I'm a noob here however been lurking for a while and joined a little bit ago.

I'm jones'n real hard on a 1930-32 3/5 window coupe... I have a mint 1987 Grand National (I know its too new for here) but my question is this:

What routes should I go down in regards to finding what I want and what is the market value for a mechanically sound coupe but in need of TLC (interior, paint, etc...) I was thinking 15k range but I really dont know for sure. Also what are some tips from those of you who have been around the block a few times on where to start looking besides the normal places (classifieds here, ebay)

Really appreciate any advice..

2. roddinron

roddinron

Forget the '32 at that price, look for model A's.

3. 50'custom

50'custom

Well,as an idea my boss just sold his 31' A coupe with a brand new 383 with angle plug heads,new tires,fresh paint,ready to go anywhere without notice for 18,000 (basically gave it away) but my point is there are deals to be had. The guy that bought it drove it 6 hours home.

4. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

Yeah, I have been noticing that..

What is the difference between a model A?

Also, the running boards... did those come stock on all of them and then people just removed them? Cause I have seen some go for the price range I'm looking in but they have the running boards on them... I dont like that look.

Thanks,

5. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

There are many nice coupes out there for that price range....check out the years and body styles and then go on the hunt....the fun is in the hunt!!!! Good luck!:D

6. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The FORD Motor Company made over 4 million Model A Fords. They only made a little over 200 thousand 32 Fords. So there was 20 Model A's for every one 1932 Ford made. SO ... the Model A's are a lot more plentiful ... and cost less. Sometimes as much as a 1/3 or a 1/4 of a comparable body style 32. There were 22 thousand 32 3W's made. The number of Model A 3W's ... ???
    ... very ... very low. Some folks say none in production.

The 1932 Ford has a longer wheelbase, a fuel tank in the rear and a double drop frame ( so it sits lower ... stock. )

A Model coupe :)
    [​IMG]

A 1932 Ford 5W coupe :D

[​IMG]

The 32 Ford was available with a V8. Not so for the Model A.
    The Model A has the fuel tank in the cowl. It is in the rear of a 32.
    The 32 Frame is considered a thing of beauty ... and it way stronger than a Model A frame.

Some folks prefer the blockier look of a Model A ... while other prefer the more rounded look of the 32. The 32 is a IMPROVED Model A ... :eek: Just like a 40 Ford is a improved Ford over the previous years.

I prefer the 32 Ford ... but you should research the cars ( sit in one each if you can ) ... the 32 is roomier and more comfortable IMHO. Know which you prefer ... you can fit in ... and can afford before buying anything.

These are my pair of 32 Fords ...

[​IMG]

7. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

WOW... thanks for that and your cars are of gorgeous...

What about those running boards. Are those simply held on with bolts, and can be removed easily to give that no fender look I see all the time?

Thanks,

8. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I see you are in North Carolina ... I suggest you go to the Charlotte AutoFair swap meet this coming weekend. Look at the Model A's and 32 Fords there :D

[​IMG]

Lots of cars there for sale ...
    Go here for the online flyer

http://www.charlotte-autofair.com/

There is a large ROD RUN in Pigeon Forge ...
    Lots of Model A's and they even have a special area for 32 Fords. Over 100 32's sitting together in one place. Always some for sale also.

Go here for thee flyer

http://www.shadesofthepast.com/

9. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Hi joeNational, I don't want to offend you by what I'm about to say, but you asked for the advise of some of us who have been around the block. Here goes... It's time to lurk for a little while more, and do some serious studying about the whole hot rod thing. When you can spot the differences between the different years and models, and what has been done with them, then it is time to "snatch the pebbles from my hand" so to speak. The reason I say this is not to blow you off and not let you into our exclusive club of coolness, but because your at a point where over enthusiasm can cost you a bunch of heart ache and money. You really need to know the difference between a deuce (1932), and a Model A (1928-1931). To someone just looking into our thing, they don't look that different. But money wise, what you are going spend for a '32 or a '31 could buy a house in some parts of the country. Spend some time here, grab every magazine that you can find about hot rods, get a couple of books by guys like Don Montgomery, and maybe Peter Vincent and hit them. You will be much better informed for it. You'll also be a hell of allot wiser for it too. The other thing I recomend highly is find someone in your area that is into this stuff up to their eyeballs,and ask questions and listen. We have a great history to this thing that most of us here are obsessed with, and you can be part of it, but it seldom works to just buy your way in.

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

On a 32 yes ...
    On a Model A ... not as easily. They have a metal panel that bolts in between the frame and the body. The body usually is removed ... before the panels can be removed. This is a Model A chassis I recently sold ... with the panels still on the chassis.

[​IMG]

When you do remove the panels ... you see the frame ... and it does not look nice like a 32 frame. On a 32 ... you can remove the running boards without removing the body. They simply unbolt.

Model A ... sitting on top of the original style frame

[​IMG]

32 Coupe sitting on top a a 32 frame ...

[​IMG]

Most rodders consider the 32 frame a lot prettier. It is wider and flows with the body lines.

There are Model A's that have been installed on 32 Frames ... and they look a lot better IMHO ... in addition to being stronger and having a longer wheelbase.

[​IMG]

And a roadster HIBOY on a Model A chassis

[​IMG]

Which LOOK do you prefer ??? :D :D

11. JoeNational

JoeNational
    from nc

No offense taken at all. Like anything once you start diving into it and have hard experience that is when you start noticing the "little" things nobody else does. Like I stated before I have a 87 Gn which is a very rare car that a lot of people dont know...Well I consider myself one of the few that knows just about as much as you can...Also have an old 66 shovelhead that is a constant learn in progress... So that is why I'm here and people like yourself and the very helpfull deuce roadster will help me gain that knowledge. I have been looking very hard for that last few weeks much more then ever before... That is why I'm starting to ask all these questions because I never noticed some of things I am noticing now.

The hunt has been fun and a very learning experience... Patience is what it is all about... I dont have any though...lol

Thanks,

12. truckncoupe

truckncoupe

That's okay that you have no patience....that allows you to buy more and more cars on the slide.....because you really never know what you want and once you get it you want something else? Make any sense....We are all sick !:(