Register now to get rid of these ads!

Greetings from sunny B'more

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Badform, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Badform

Badform
    from B'more, MD

Just wanted to say hi after lurking for a while...

I found this place searching for information about priming mechanical fuel pumps, and learned (or was reminded of) more stuff here than any place else I've spent reading online. I liked the attitude, and my love of 30s and 40s hot rods was rekindled.

According to my mom, my first word was "car" and tells stories of how I could identify any car from 100 yards away by it's taillights by the time I was three - admittedly much easier then than now. I grew up with 60s and 70s Oldsmobiles and Buicks: my step-father's '68 Cutlass (painted flat blue!) and various 70s Cutlass's; a '69 Wildcat with the 430; a 73 Electra with a 455; some Corvairs and other random stuff. I helped him when I could as a kid. Before that, my dad (the other one) had an old Rambler and a '53 Chevy, but he never had the car bug.

My step father's brother wow'd me with all kinds of 50s and 60s iron, as well as weirdo stuff like Porsche 914s, VWs, and custom trikes. These days he has a giant collection of stuff going back to the 40s (and earlier), but has started collecting Trabants, of all things.

When it came time for me to drive, I started out with third gen Camaros and Firebirds, but quickly moved back to 70s Trans Ams, and Pontiac became my first automotive love. I had a '65 Tempest for a while, but never did anything with it, and regret letting it go. I stumbled onto a '69 Dodge Coronet, and fell in with Mopar madness, quickling following with a '70 Super Bee.

I've still got the '69 Dodge Coronet R/T (440/6bbl) that is not doing much more than looking like an interesting lawn ornament. I've been poking at it occasionally, but not having a garage or even a real driveway limits what I can get done around here. I have the feeling I should let it go on to someone who will actually do something with it, but the way these things are going, I'd never be able to get another one. Conundrum.

My 'beater' is a 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX. It's nice, comfy, and gets me around without complaining. Not much to see here. Moving along...

After reading the HAMB daily, I've got visions of a fenderless coupe, Kaiser Js, 392 Hemis, old trucks, and other good stuff. I would love to find some locals to hang out with at the very least, help out in the garage, and get back into wrenching regularly and hanging out with some new friends.

Heck, hanging around here has inspired me to want to build a frame for an old pedal car body I've got hanging around, and make a miniature hot rod. I'm a graphic designer by trade, but I've been thinking maybe it's time to channel some of my dormant artistic skills into some cool car art.

Thanks for the inspiration. I hope to learn a lot more and get into something fun sometime.

-Clint

2. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Welcome from Rowlett, TX---good having you.

3. Welcome from Arkansas...

4. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Welcome from Hagerstown, Md.

5. What part of Baltimore? I spent 15 years there--Dundalk, Rosedale, and Bel Air (pronounced "Blair," of course) Rd. areas. Henrietta the '38 Ford pickup and Ozelle the '55 Ford send friendly horn honks.

6. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

dont ever let that mopar go bud, you will never get another without serious cash, welcome to the HAMB!

7. Badform

Badform
    from B'more, MD

I'm from Hamilton, and now I live just a mile away, between Hamilton and Overlea, right off of Belair Rd, a few blocks south of Northern Pkwy.

8. Badform

Badform
    from B'more, MD

Much like the HAMB, my tastes lean towards something older.

But yeah, that's the rub. If I keep it, it'll rot away over time. But I also know that I can't replace it if I let it go to a good home.

That makes it sound worse off than it is, but it needs a new roof skin, lower quarters, and rocker patches at the very least.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

more pics...

9. UnsettledParadox

UnsettledParadox

what a kick ass car! being an R/T you could get a pretty penny for it but at the same time being an R/T means you wont let it go without missing it!

ive always been a car guy. got my first "classic" in the form of a '72 skylark. wasnt too long before it had a buick 455, dual exhaust, big meats in the back, the whole deal. i loved that car but i just felt my interests change a bit so i parted ways and picked up my wagon. of course it wasnt a GS or GSX, just a skylark so it wasnt as difficult!!

long story short...i feel your pain

[​IMG]

the day it got sold

[​IMG]

there are a lot of people that still dig muscle cars. may not exactly be HAMB friendly but you arent in short supply of us. sure beats mini trucks and ricers haha

10. Badform

Badform
    from B'more, MD

Oh man! The '70-72 Buick Skylark is among my favorite muscle car styles. I have been tempted many a time (but sadly at the wrong times) by a GS or two. :)

And I LOVE that the Buick "big block" doesn't weigh much more than an SBC. Plus everything from the little 215 V8 and 3.8L V6 up to the 455 can interchange a lot of parts (accessory drive, etc.).

I don't think I'm allowed to be too down on mini-trucks (though I do think most are ridiculous)... I used to have a GMC Typhoon as my driver.

11. Welcome from Elkridge Md !

12. Clik

Clik

Hell, that R/T ain't bad. Park her over sumthin' besides dirt though or it'll rot from the bottom up.

You can get one of those tin garages pretty cheap and an asphalt pad isn't much either.

Some folks would kill to have that much of a start. Do sumthin' with it.

Hope to see ya at the Mob Town Grease Ball.

Paul

13. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

Welcome from Westminster, MD.

14. Badform

Badform
    from B'more, MD

That's the plan, Paul.

Unfortunately I don't feel like I can park it on the street here without inviting undo attention to it. Once it runs and I can move it and show that it's not "abandoned", then I'll feel better about parking it on the street.

I need to address the brakes and find out what's causing the fuel to not flow (the problems out back - gas tank or rotted fuel line) and I'll be in much better shape. Sadly, it's hard to get to that stuff where the car sits at the moment.

Ah well. Enough of my whining...

Thanks for the greeting, everyone!!

15. Clik

Clik

Where there's a will there's a way:

[​IMG]

16. Welcome from northern VA!

Be sure to join the Maryland HAMBers' social group.

17. ARVCo.

ARVCo.

Welcome aboard from Silver Spring!

18. dirtpoor

dirtpoor
    from maryland

i will say welcome from westminster also

19. 117harv

117harv

Welcome to the HAMB.

20. big bad john

big bad john

Clint.....Welcome to H.A.M.B Big Bad John from WISCONSIN:D

21. Badform

Badform
    from B'more, MD

Hey... just wanted to thank everyone for the warm welcome!

22. welcome from southern cali