Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with dead MIG regulator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by patman, Aug 20, 2010.

1. patman

patman

Long story short...last time I opened the valve on the tank for my MIG, the regulator decided to fail. It pegged the output pressure gauge, and sent enough pressure to pop the hose between the regulator and the welder.

The welder is an ancient Miller Auto Arc 120.

1) Is there a chance that I damaged the valve inside the welder? (Or did the hose popping save me from that...)

2) Anything special about the hose? I'd like to replace it, no clue what I should replace it with though.

3) And finally...I think I'm in the market for a new regulator. :rolleyes: There's about a dozen different styles out there, how do I make sure I get the right one?

Thx!

Attached Files:

2. dredmond

dredmond
    from StL

Harbor Freight regulator $20, had to put one on mine a month ago.

3. Kenneth S

Kenneth S

The valve inside the welder should be able to handle a lot more pressure than that hose (the hose acts like a fuse). As far as regulators go, what you can afford will do. I've have used both expensive, and cheap regulators, and didn't notice any real difference (other than giving away more money). Get the right hose from your favorite welder supply store, they should also be able to recommend a affordable, reliable, long lasting regulator.

4. blt2go

blt2go

i use a smith flowmeter/regulator. i've found it keeps pressures from creeping up on you. saves alot of gas that way.

5. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

...gotta crack the tank valve slowly,the regulator probably blew the diaphragm and can be rebuilt
    as for hose , you can use a length of oxygen hose and recycle your fittings,also available- plastic hose similar to air brake lines

6. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

simply go to your welding supply store(not the box stores)the one you get your argon from should have evrything you need to safely fix your situation. they will have all you need to fix it.
    Safe And Simple.

7. Scott Hightower

Scott Hightower
    from Georgia

I'm a Hobart fan when it comes to welding regulators but you should be OK with whatever your local welding supply house carry's.

Scott
    Fab Manager
    Welders360.com