Register now to get rid of these ads!

Jalopy Fest Sep. 11-12th, Morris, Il

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty1, May 21, 2010.

1. silent rick

silent rick

yeah, it does. why all the secrecy? i've never been to a show where i didn't know the hosts.

2. Can you invite all the shitboxes and art cars that used to show up at the Pileup?! That would be cool...........................

3. jalopyfest

jalopyfest
    from Morris, Il

Not sure what else to say. We told you how this started. Come meet us at the Speedway or stay away.
    Went to a party this last July & had no idea who was the host, drank his beer, listened to his band & had a great time. You are what you make it.

4. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Actually.....It does matter to some people........to think it does NOT matter is naive.
    I may well upset some on the board for this - but if you care to speak to me face to face - I will be glad to elucidate further. I am easy to find since I am at shows every single weekend. HAMB Drags, Greaserama, Bombers Bash, Cheaterama, Greaserama, Relics show in MI, and of course the best one day show in the world the Hunnert Car Pile Up.

Some people want to support certain car clubs or certain people that are responsible for the shows that are out there while others may want to boycott certain shows..............

Example - take a look at the Flying Eyeball Reunion thread here on the HAMB.......
    there is a certain percentage of people out there that refuse to attend the show due to the Wizzard association with the show in the past.
    I will be there this weekend - and I have been there for the past 4 years.

The Cheaters show - people love to hang out with the guys and this is the one time of the year that they know they can see Cheater Carl, DJ Rome, and the Roepke's all in 1 place.

Look at the recent schism with the Billetproof/Sins of Steel in Detroit.

Dont you think that the Symco Shakedown is popular in part, because Cliffy is a decent guy and people wanna see this show be a success?

Rust Revival - people LOVE Breeder and this is why it had such huge support from the very beginning.......

Will there be a strong car show in Viva Las Vegas now that The Shifters have dropped out? Dont think that certain people will NOT be there now that the Shifters are not gonna be there......

Read the board on a regular basis and it is easy to see that there are certain people on here that refuse to go to Good Guys shows....even though they bring in a lot of people and give people a lot of stuff to do on the weekends that they hold their events......some just refuse to pay that much $$$.

I do think that a lot of people also want to support certain shows because they wanna help out a cause....example our show....people know the proceeds are gonna go to the www.helpinghannahsheart.org medical expense trust....so they wanna support it.

Many people just go to car shows and dont think about who is putting them on or what causes they are gonna support. (if they do support any causes)

I will not be attending the show and I have told the show promoter face to face exactly why. I have no problems seeing them later on and I welcome them to our show anytime, but there will be a certain segment on the board here who will not be attending the show for various reasons.
    I will be at the Greenfield Iowa swap meet that weekend.

Hope everyone has fun at the show...........

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  5. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

Ditto & well said as always John!!

6. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

it should be noted from the Dr X reply up above, that this Jalopy Fest is a first time show.....there is no precedent for this show to have any type of parking or traffic problem..........

IF Dr X is thinking this is the Hunnert Car Pile Up - Dr X is wrong....it is not.

The Pile Up has moved to Decatur IL on Oct 9th and there should be no confusion with this show and the 9th Annual Hunnert Car Pile Up.

7. MODELA30

MODELA30

Wow i thought that this would come up people fighting about who is hosting this? Is this the pile up? What the hell. Just go sounds like a good time. If theres a swap i will be there if you are worried about who is the host maybe you should stay home. Sturgis bike week millions of bikers go out there to south dakota and who is the host of that??? The city!!!!!! But then if your a gear head or grease monkey like me mention car show or bike show or a swap meet hell i am there. Knuck from indiana.

8. WOW, they have 1100 hits on their website. Going to be a big show. That is almost the traffic the Shakedown site saw last Friday. :)

I won't be there. How lame to try to mimic the pileup. I would expect a lot of rat rods and people who don't mind parking next to a jacked up 72 Nova 4 door with dingle berry shag carpet interior, keystone classics, a gaudy hood scoop and flames that look like a money painted them.

73 and older customs? WTF?!? Is that what we are about here? I think this is the wrong board to promote this show.

9. Sturgis is NOT THE host, the trademark has been sold several times over. You are wrong. A correct statement would say that ALL of us in the Black Hills are the hosts! Now quit pulling out into cross traffic en-masse you dipshits!:D:rolleyes:

10. I think the city of Morris knows now that they screwed up by not supporting the Pile-up. Now the city is out a lot of revenue. What better way than to try and get another car show started in town. I'm not saying they are putting this show on, but I'm sure in 1 way or another they have or had there hand in it somewhere along the line. That there is 1 good reason for NOT supporting it. Especially when the show is for charity. Just my 2 cents!

11. Tin Can

Tin Can

We will probabally go and check out the swap and see if there are any good deals and parts

12. ...I say give em a chance before you start judging,....this is all sposed to be fun with old cars!

13. 1Evil55

1Evil55
    from Illanoys

Although my billet wheels won't "fit in" I'm going because I enjoy all types of cars. Less bitchin' and more driving please.

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I ran across one of their shows a couple years ago at a Nostalgia Drag event. I was NOT IMPRESSED!!! By the looks of the cars that showed up, nobody else was either. Now I realize why the cars that did show up were pretty lame.

15. coolstuff

coolstuff
    from Bettendorf

Hey - Wicked50 - perhaps give the Flying Eyeball show another chance? Anyway - I am sure you will wanna go to the Pile Up fer sure. The Good Guys show is in Sept as well if you wanna go to Joliet. Not exactly sure where you are located in IL - but if you ever want to know some of the better shows are.....
    email me.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010
  16. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

that wasnt there show! i was at the event you are talkin about! that was the whizz and a couple of his buddys cars! anthony puts on the actual show, and its a damn good time! had a ton of kickass cars there last yr!

17. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

It was called the flying eyeball burnout at Cordova Drag Strip. Most of the cars that came to the show part were pretty lame and there were no more than 20 there. Most of the cars competing were pretty cool though.

18. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Give em a chance?

If you knew the whole story you'd be singing a different tune.

As a friend to many of the Chrome Czars I would NEVER support this show. :mad:

19. Ohlly

Ohlly

just found out about this show yesterday, I will be there. Ihope it has a good turnout. Im 20 min away, travel time means a lot to me so Im glad to see another show like this close to home. This will not replace the pileup for me, just be one more to go to.

20. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

yup! that was the whizzes bullshit! not anthony!!!! side note, i went onna heli ride there that day! cool shit!!! ohh, and met that big daddy guy and stuff!!!:p

21. Will there be any RAT RODS at this event? I like RAT RODS. They are swell.

22. luckys8ba

luckys8ba

Please tell us " the whole story " I would like to know so Im able to make an educated decision.............thanks.

23. MODELA30

MODELA30

Yea tell us the story!!!! Knuck from indiana.

24. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

I'd like to know "the rest of the story" too. I requested vendor info and asked for details on who was hosting the show. I got the vendor information, but nothing more. It does matter to me who puts on a show, so decided not to go.

25. LITTLE CAR

LITTLE CAR

x2!!

26. Chris 50

Chris 50

I have very limited knowledge of the "rest of the story" however, it's hard to deny the similarities to Pile-Up. That being said, I feel Pile-Up will be a better show than it has been in recent years. Not only due to the venue change, but the criteria has been tighted up, and from what I understand, the Czars themselves will do all the inspecting which will solve some of the inconsistencies of years past. The Jalopy Fest on the other hand, seems to have more of an "everybody wins" type criteria. I really don't care who goes and who doesn't, but I will bet that the overall quality of vehicles at Pile-Up WAY surpasses what you're going to see at Jalopy Fest. I almost wouldn't mind checking out JF first hand, but I don't want to get stuck in the traffic jam.

27. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

All of the initial verbiage of the letters to vendors and bands tried to pass this show off as the Pileup. I don't have any of the actual content saved but I wish I did.

to paraphrase what was written...

"... bands performing at the Red Cent just like before."

"last year's traffic problems resolved should be resolved..."

It was full of references like that... trying to sound like the Pileup without calling it the Pileup. I know a couple of people who have posted on this thread already know exactly what was written and probably have copies of those emails. I'd like to see them reposted here.

They even mentioned the Blacktop Barons and Voodoo Larry were a part of the show. The problem is that neither of them had any knowledge of it. The Barons said they even had a lawyer contact them to have their name removed.

I know the Czars don't have any problem with someone coming in and having a traditional show in Morris.

I don't have a problem either...

It's when you blatantly try and rip off all of the hard work of the Czars and the red shirt army that I have an issue. :mad:

28. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

EXACTLY!!! this could have been handled ALOT better from the start and would have been well received.

29. silent rick

silent rick

who's hosting? i thought it was a simple question. i guess not. for all we know, it could be that whizz guy trying to cash in again.

don't forget the original info had(i don't remember the exact wording) statements claiming the show will no longer be run by idiots. it seems that someone got their feelings hurt when their vehicle was turned away at the gate last year. that's probably why the jalopy fest is allowing 70's show cars, to accommodate someone who didn't make it in the pileup.

30. TheFish

TheFish

Me too. I dont prefer calling them RAT RODS tho. ART CARS is what I like to call them. Rolling masterpieces